Have you noticed how SA sufferers seem more intelligent?

Siren

Has anyone else noticed?
Granted, this forum is the first place I've ever found fellow SA sufferers, so this is interesting for me, but the diction in the posts is usually elevated and the spelling is great. I'm comparing this to other situations (school and the real world) and other boards that are flooded with chatspeak and crap spelling. Then of course there's also the obvious philosophical introspectiveness. Thoughts?
Maybe it's because we spent more time paying attention in school rather than talking, or maybe it's because we spend a lot of time thinking and observing. Also, I don't know about the rest of you, but I write a LOT, which lends to better writing skills. What do you think? Or am I just being a bit narcissistic? Spending time in one's head seems to have benefits. :)

scorpion

Its a known and reported fact that a great number of SAs and APDs are more inteligent, also the time we spend introspectiving and thinking leads to a better compreension of human psychology.

Harp

Hey everyone. New to the board.

That's a pretty interesting question, and I have wondered it to myself before as well, but dismissed it because I didn't want to feel like I was being narcissistic as you said.

I have some friends, but very few that I can hold a philosophical conversation with. I've found that women who are capable of this are far more attractive to me than any others. It's not easy to get that deep when first meeting someone though, so maybe that's why I have had a hard time with women.

What the previous poster said makes a lot of sense to me though, with SA's having plenty of time for self-reflection and observation.

TAMPA-BAY

hi

Hi harp and siren welcome to the site.
I agree with scorpin. I do think we with these disorders tend to be smater.

For one we usualy have more free time on our side.
Also we are all extremely internal which is another reason we dont talk. We are too busy over analizing our thoughts.

Most of us are really talented but because we have problem with things like job interviews and and doing public speaking we go unnotice.

Argamemnon

I really don't think people who suffer from anxiety are more intelligent. That just doesn't sound logical. My intelligence is average.

ghost_train

I think there are loads of different types of intelligence. It would seem reasonable that people with SA share, as has been suggested, a sort of psychological intelligence due, probably, to the degree of our introspection and self-analysis. Whether there is any corellation between this and the types of intelligence that are estimated in IQ tests, I don't know.

But yeah, I do definitely think that I would be less anxious if I were to have a lobotomy.

LostViking

I agree with Ghost about the "higher" psychological intelligence. The intelligence estimated in IQ tests I find fairly shitey as it's very limited. Think it's very possible, and very common, to be smart in one area while being classified as "dumb" in another. I know that I probably have a lower IQ than a friend of mine when it comes to things such as math and IQ-tests, at the same time I know that he'll hit a wall if you were to compare us in f.ex language/psychology/philosophy.

Everyone are different, and there's probably all sorts of people with SA, but I'm guessing anyone with a disorders such as this, OCD, depression and so on are likely to "practice" their psychological IQ as they'll be somewhat forced to think about things in its general direction.

PS: Get your old avatar back, Ghost. It's not fun now that I'm not periodically surprised by something that looked like something entirely different a few times a day!

bleach

Banned
Anyone can be socially phobic, but I feel like a less intelligent person could probably cope with or get over it easier.

Fairy001

I have heard that people with psycotic problems tend to have an above average IQ. I would not be at all surprised if this extended out to other mental health isses. It may not be SA which is the indicator, but depression, as they often co-exist it would be very hard to determine.

Peace xxx

Carstuar

The internet is for smart people!

(lol)

takethis.jpg

tpdarlo

Introverted people usually have above average intelligence because they spend more time reflecting, theorising, criticising, and generally working their analytical minds. When it comes to communicating though, this is another ballpark. I think I often come across as dull and unintelligent because I can't convey my thoughts properly, I often can't think of a witty response because I'm too anxious - I'll just smile and laugh, and I hate those moments.

Harp

tpdarlo said:
When it comes to communicating though, this is another ballpark. I think I often come across as dull and unintelligent because I can't convey my thoughts properly, I often can't think of a witty response because I'm too anxious - I'll just smile and laugh, and I hate those moments.

haha, that pretty much sums it up for me too.

Siren

Harp said:
tpdarlo said:
When it comes to communicating though, this is another ballpark. I think I often come across as dull and unintelligent because I can't convey my thoughts properly, I often can't think of a witty response because I'm too anxious - I'll just smile and laugh, and I hate those moments.

haha, that pretty much sums it up for me too.

Same here. People think I'm slow or stupid because I pause before responding when people talk to me. And forget coming up with a witty response, I'm having issues just trying to give a simple answer, much less a clever one.

coriander1992

I have also noticed this.

I think it's due to the fact that, the nature of social anxiety/phobia causes us to constantly analyze and think about things over and over, so therefore we think more than other people as a rule.

Isn't there a saying somewhere that goes something like: Smart people listen and dumb people talk? :lol:
Something like that anyway... :wink:

princess_haru

Carstuar said:
*squee!* I want one!! :D

tpdarlo said:
Introverted people usually have above average intelligence because they spend more time reflecting, theorising, criticising, and generally working their analytical minds. When it comes to communicating though, this is another ballpark. I think I often come across as dull and unintelligent because I can't convey my thoughts properly, I often can't think of a witty response because I'm too anxious - I'll just smile and laugh, and I hate those moments.
I feel the same way. If I wasn't so busy worrying about what people are thinking of me, I'd probably contribute a lot more to conversations and generally be better company... but knowing there's a problem and doing something about it are two very different things :?