Have u been diagnosed with Social Anxiety

Luka

I diagnosed my self. Mostly because I'm too scared to go the doctors and having to tell my family that I think I have SA is just daunting to me.

Littlewing13

Yes. I went to my doctor because I felt depressed far more often than most people & was having thoughts of self harm. At first she palmed me off to another doctor. But I knew I needed help. I went back & asked for a referral for a psychologist. I was also put on medication. I now see a psychologist regularly & that helps heaps! You can find out the techniques on the net but its great having someone to talk to & help you through things. Also I find myself saying negative thoughts lots but sometimes I don't notice until she points something out. I haven't had much luck with medication yet but I've just seen a psychiatrist to get that sorted. It can take a while to find the right one.

IMHO definitely go ask for help. It's so worth the initial embarrassment. If you aren't happy the way things are currently you need to change it & it's such a relief to know that you are not alone & have a support system.

Remus

Staff member
Yes I have by a consultant psychiatrist. Also diagnosed me with PTSD and OCD.

tallmommy

I brought it up to my doctor when I was 18 or 19. I was diagnosed and put on paxil. It stopped most of the anxiety attacks. I still had a lot of negative thoughts. I eventually got off the paxil. Once I got through the withdrawl symptoms, I became the same as I was while on it. I'm still overall anxious. I can function in society. I can see help when I need it. I still tend to be socially isolated. I think its my body language. I'm not open and friendly. People read that and struggle to express an open and friendly body language with me and it is a circular feed.

I tried to force myself to ignore my anxiety in my early twenties. I'd have a list of questions and was constantly asking for people's phone number and calling them, sending them friendship cards on holidays. I jumped from one extreme to another. A lot of people eventually had to confront me and tell me I was making them uncomfortable. Some even told me to leave them alone.

I feel like everyone has this internal sense of how to be socially appropriate and my sense is oversensitive. Just confronting it hasn't seemed to be enough.

I've read "How to win friends and influence people" and I just feel so discouraged. I can't be like that. Its exhausting.