Have to teach a 2-4 hour class next week

Liberty

Banned
Has anyone with Social Phobia ever attempted something like this? Will I spontaneously combust? I honestly have no idea what will happen. Any chance of the world ending before 2012?

garry29

Has anyone with Social Phobia ever attempted something like this? Will I spontaneously combust? I honestly have no idea what will happen. Any chance of the world ending before 2012?

I did a hourish presentation with another student at university one time and it went well. But then I was using cue cards and the other guy was really popular with all the class. We also had a overhead projector which really helped and an activity type seminar at the end which I found a bit awkward. Preparation is very important I find with presentations.

Lorraine Manca

ive had to do alot of teaching to people of all ages, its actually easier than most other things. this is one of the few situations in which you have control. you dont have that in conversations or anything else in life.

1. i promise they are listening as little as possible
2. ask your class tons of questions that make them reflect back to what you said, this makes them think more about their own performance and smarts rather than your own
3. if its appropriate, definately do an activity or many activities, like role playing or anything that will break up that huge block of time
4.if you really want to kill time, think up a mini project where the class can divide up into groups and make their own presentations using the information you doled out in your lecture
for example if you gave them problem solving skills, then have groups work on senarios showing how they can apply those skills
teaching 101, you probably already knew all that, but those things help me the most, hope it helps!

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Yes. Since this pretty much constitutes most of my worst fears and difficulties rolled into one, it's something I've made myself do a lot of.

Simply put: the better prepared you are, the least freaked out and f'd up you're going to feel.

Liberty

Banned
Yeah I'm going to try to be prepared. It's my first time covering this material though and I'm not exactly a teacher-type person. I'll update you guys when it's over. Guess I've got to face this. Feels like I'm going to the electric chair lol.

Island_chic

I say try it...weither or not it is the first time! There's a first time for everything and you'll never know what it's like if you don't. You can do it. Believe in yourself and have it all planned out accordingly. Get the students to really "think" about what your saying in your presention with some exercises. Good Luck!

ive had to do alot of teaching to people of all ages, its actually easier than most other things. this is one of the few situations in which you have control. you dont have that in conversations or anything else in life.

1. i promise they are listening as little as possible
2. ask your class tons of questions that make them reflect back to what you said, this makes them think more about their own performance and smarts rather than your own
3. if its appropriate, definately do an activity or many activities, like role playing or anything that will break up that huge block of time
4.if you really want to kill time, think up a mini project where the class can divide up into groups and make their own presentations using the information you doled out in your lecture
for example if you gave them problem solving skills, then have groups work on senarios showing how they can apply those skills
teaching 101, you probably already knew all that, but those things help me the most, hope it helps!

School teacher? Course instructor? Interesting. Anyway, very good advice. I just want to add that if you're REALLY scared, some videos or clips can help to cut the time you actually need to talk. It can also act as a way to quickly grab the class' attention at the beginning. (Just be careful of cases where the audiovisual equipment don't work)

What's your lesson plan btw? And what topics?

Eam

Will you be the only one teaching? I've done half day teaching things like this but it has been with other people which made it easier.

I agree with the comments about people mostly paying as little attention as possible. Preparation is key. Also, if you get a choice of what to teach then picking something that you have genuine interest in helps a lot since you aren't having to improvise as much and you'll be more confident in what you're saying.

BlauweEngel

Just some advice for you from when I used to teach. Be sure to bring notes on what you want to teach on, if u get stuck because of shyness or whatever at least you can refer to your notes and write them to the board or whatever.

Eilonwy

wow and I thought I was crazy for wanting to be a professor in my near future. 0.o Good thing to know I'm not the only one with SA to even consider something like that, not to even mention the fact that practically all of you here have experience with teaching.

but I was wondering Liberty, since this seems to be something out of the norm for you, you obviously don't teach for a living. So I was wondering, what do you do and how did it lead to having to teach a class?

But either way, GOOD LUCK! I'm sure in the end it'll be an experience to add to your list of things you've confronted even with SA...and survived =]

Liberty

Banned
wow and I thought I was crazy for wanting to be a professor in my near future. 0.o Good thing to know I'm not the only one with SA to even consider something like that, not to even mention the fact that practically all of you here have experience with teaching.

but I was wondering Liberty, since this seems to be something out of the norm for you, you obviously don't teach for a living. So I was wondering, what do you do and how did it lead to having to teach a class?

But either way, GOOD LUCK! I'm sure in the end it'll be an experience to add to your list of things you've confronted even with SA...and survived =]

Yeah that's how I'm looking at it. This is probably one of the hardest things I could confront so that's good from a CBT standpoint.

I work in an office. I just have to train some of my co-workers on a process that I specialize in.

Liberty

Banned
Just to update everyone I did it today and I survived! It actually went very well considering this was the first time I had to do something like this. I was able to focus on what I was trying to say and how I wanted to say it and the students seemed to absorb the material well.

It only ended up being an hour too. One negative was that I clearly made some of the students nervous, but then again I seem to make everyone nervous.

Eilonwy

=D thats awesome! if this was the first time you had to do something like this and it went well, just imagine the potential you have to improve yourself! ^___^

Liberty

Banned
=D thats awesome! if this was the first time you had to do something like this and it went well, just imagine the potential you have to improve yourself! ^___^

Yeah thanks for the support. It was a comforting thought that other people with SA have done this and been ok.

Eilonwy

Yeah thanks for the support. It was a comforting thought that other people with SA have done this and been ok.

No problem! =] And I know, it really is comforting for me too, and kind of gives me hope that maybe I can teach someday after all? That's probably my biggest fear for the future: failure in life cause of SA, and letting my parents down and all that. -.- But knowing that is pretty reassuring.