Has anyone tried yoga to quiet their mind?

Finally

I believe yoga could help me by learning how to control my thoughts better but I get alot of anxiety about walking into that first class. Would everyone be looking at me? Would I be wearing the right clothes? Is the class all girls?

Sabotage

jaim38

I don't take yoga classes, but I often do yoga at home. I'm too shy to do yoga in front of others because my bones make popping noises sometimes and I'm not very flexible so my poses look awkward. Also, I don't have good clothes that I can wear to yoga classes.

Yoga made me more aware of my body, especially the limits of it. When I do yoga, sometimes my mind wanders but usually, I am aware of my breathing and stretches. Plus it's fun.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
It would probably help you that's for sure... I do it sometimes, but I don't have much time for it and you need to not be in a hurry... I never went in a class either, I know I would hate it, but you can easily find videos and tutorial over the internet. At some point you will know your routine by heart and won't even use them anymore.

Lamb

I believe yoga could help me by learning how to control my thoughts better but I get alot of anxiety about walking into that first class. Would everyone be looking at me? Would I be wearing the right clothes? Is the class all girls?

Sabotage

Funny this thread was created recently. I'm actually considering getting into it for my anxiety. I tried it maybe two times in my life, both of which involved going to a class. I didn't keep active because of fear being around others. It was a help though.

My big fear is sitting in a room full of females and having them look at me or not being able to make conversation. But really, people aren't focusing on you when class starts. There's no specific standards as far as clothes go. Some girls attend in fancy yoga clothes, while others have a t-shirt and shorts or old sweatpants. Wear whatever you feel comfortable in. There were some guys in my class, so it made me feel better. It's really just about taking the first step. Your nerves are going to be the highest for the first couple of visits, but you soon grow accustomed to it. :thumbup: