Has anyone taken advantage of a new start?

Tuukka40

Since I am graduating high school in a couple of weeks I will never have to see a lot of those people again:D I have a job interview for a job at a hotel this Friday (I think I'll get the job) and I will be living in another state next year. So new job, new state, new people.
Does anyone have any success stories on how they went from being a loaner, outcast, etc person to a person they wanted to be? Or any advice on this? I really want to take full advantage of this because I don't want to go on like I am now!! Thanks

Jack Blue

It is a good thing you want to make a new start, but I must warn you.. it is only natural to fall back into your old patterns and habits of socialization. Many of us, myself included, think new life circumstances can be opportunities can be for great personal change - and they can - but you have to work extremely hard at breaking your old tendencies and cleaning your slate. Force yourself into uncomfortable situations, challenge yourself by testing your social skills, and best of luck embarking on your fresh start in life. It can be done, but you must be proactive and work at it.

Hoppy

I also heard it called the Geographical Cure, but normally it is the same person getting of the plane at the other end.

But J is correct.

It will give you an opportunity to start anew, but the ball will be in your court, not in the other people's.

Good luck and I hope you make it.

I failed, but will try a new start again in one year!

Hope you do good, I recommend throwing yourself out their as soon as you move, b/c it gets harder the longer you live there.

Phoenixx

I'm so glad you made this thread, Tuukka. :) I'm graduating in about a month and so I'd also like to know about how people handled new starts. I'm going to college out of state too, but it's not too far from home, only an hour.

Since I am graduating high school in a couple of weeks I will never have to see a lot of those people again:D
^ I am definitely happy about this too. :D

Tuukka40

It is a good thing you want to make a new start, but I must warn you.. it is only natural to fall back into your old patterns and habits of socialization. Many of us, myself included, think new life circumstances can be opportunities can be for great personal change - and they can - but you have to work extremely hard at breaking your old tendencies and cleaning your slate. Force yourself into uncomfortable situations, challenge yourself by testing your social skills, and best of luck embarking on your fresh start in life. It can be done, but you must be proactive and work at it.

Very good point! I had gotten small new starts by taking classes at a college in place of a couple of high school classes..But I failed to do anything new. I was still the quiet kid. I feel like it was because I wasn't proactive enough in talking regularly..So after the first few days I was like 'damn Im the quiet kid..'

i had many starts and all were fails. but also learned lots of new stuff :)

Care to share? Haha.

And anyone else who failed...Why do you think you did?

Deus_Ex_Lemur

This. I did to an extent until stuff happened and I receded in change/progress. I wasted last 3 years. I graduate college myself this end of the week. But I know I gotta do a lot to really change for good.

Phoenixx

4r9pcg.jpg
^ I have no idea what that thing is, but it's so funny to watch. XD Cracks me up. Maybe I'm just easily amused. :rolleyes:

lunarla

fail proses (social aspect - latte version):

- knowing about the new start

- daydreaming and role playing about the new cool me
2qtzwp0.jpg

- coming to new place. people are interested to know things about me, watching, talking - i instantly forget about who i'm supposed to be

- as the time pass i realize that they are also only people like me, and start getting comfortable around them. i see what they do, how react, so i get some basic general knowledge how should i act

- whenever i think of starting to be more social i get anxious cause i think it will be stupid to start acting differently all of sudden. and think of what might ppl think of it.

- end.
4r9pcg.jpg

Such an excellent post.