Harry Potter Fans

GettingThere

Pottermania has swept this part of the world again with the launch of the latest book. Working in a library system I guess that I am a little more exposed to this sort of thing than others. It amazes me just how excited some people have been over this.

I have not read any of the books - not my cup of tea really - but I must confess that I have enjoyed the movies. Don't mind a bit of escapeism, it helps to take the mind off of things.

Any Potter fans out there?

Toad

wouldn't really consider myself a fan, but I did get the book today, and have read a good amount of it.

GettingThere

Thank you Toad.

Incidently, I can't help but wonder why you chose that name. Brufus Marinus - the common cane toad - is not a particularly popular animal. Our governement (Queensland) introduced them to fight the cane beetle. Big Mistake. They are taking over the country, wiping out species as they go.

I hope that you did not chose that name for self-loathing purposes.

Fredscars

self confessed maniac here.lol
i love them..the films are no where near as good as the books in my opinion...
ive never considered the books good literature..but they are a place to escape..a life that you always imagined as a child..its just..peaceful..despite the wars and the fighting.lol
but anyway, yeh i got the new book at ...7:30 saturday morning, and had it finished in 5 and a half hours. pretty good going i think :lol:
this book is..different? it feels wierd compared to the others, nad i think it lacks the story of the other 5...but the ending is just..shocking 8O
but i shall say no more, for those who havent read it yet.

Carina33

I do love Harry Potter...... I got the 6th book yesterday. I am more of a Lord of the Rings fan actually, though, but I do enjoy Harry Potter. I think that they are excellent books, and cover many important things. In fact... the only reason that I am here right now is because my broter is upstairs with the book and I am waiting for "my turn".

Yossarian

McShy said:
Carina33 said:
So in the meantime why don't you entertain yourself with Balzac, or Sillitoe, or Shakespeare, or Boll. There is a world beryond the fabricated. Try this one...Goethe.."Ellective Affinities"

lol I know you're just trying to droaden peoples' horizons and that's cool. I just love the fact you kind of hinted at a dislike for fantasy when you have a Dalek for an avatar. Ah... the new Daleks are so cool! But I digest, I mean digress :D

Toad

GettingThere said:
I hope that you did not chose that name for self-loathing purposes.
Nah not really...it's just been what people have called me for the past 4 years. Just finished the book...aaand...wont say anything else so as not to ruin it for others.

Carina33

McShy said:
So in the meantime why don't you entertain yourself with Balzac, or Sillitoe, or Shakespeare, or Boll. There is a world beryond the fabricated. Try this one...Goethe.."Ellective Affinities"

Hmmm...I wonder how you know what I have read and haven't read. I actually have read "Elective Affinities", maybe a year ago now. But I believe that the word "Elective" has one L, not two... not to be nagging. And now I don't know what you you have and have not read... but I cannot imagine anyone calling The Lord of the Rings fabricated if they had tried it for themselves.

Krista

I've been in love with Harry Potter since it came out when I was in 5th grade. Proud to say I'm still a Potter nerd.

nopark

I've been in love with Harry Potter since it came out when I was in 5th grade. Proud to say I'm still a Potter nerd.
Haha, me too. I remember first hearing about it on the Rosie O'Donnell show (which I used to loveee when I was a kid. Weird?).

I'm kinda sad it's over now, though. Growing up with those characters for 10 years and now it's all over. As if they died or something!

iamthenra

yeah I love the movies allot! I love most sci fi anyways... I must say that I am guilty of missing some of the movies, but I try to keep up as best as I can.

Krista

Haha, me too. I remember first hearing about it on the Rosie O'Donnell show (which I used to loveee when I was a kid. Weird?).

I'm kinda sad it's over now, though. Growing up with those characters for 10 years and now it's all over. As if they died or something!

I know! Oh well, there will always be the movies but I'm more fond of getting lost in the books.