Hard-to-deal-with Parents

Blannabers

Hey SPW.

I want to ask anyone who has experience with 'tough-to-deal-with' parents.

I am 26 and living at home. I have been painfully looking for an out ever since I was 20. I have the work experience and I have schooling, however times are being quite hard on my generation right now when it comes to jobs. I am a graphic designer by trade and it is very hard to find my type of work in the area I live in (Northeastern Pennsylvania). My parents are pretty... well... ignorant. My mother called 911 on a person who is Muslim and was praying at a wal-mart parking lot, and my dad is really just a simple man who was born and raised on the farm and just dealt a lot with truck driving. But ultimately, I have to turn to them about experience for car-buying since all of my cars were just hand-me-downs or junk cars that would 'just get me by till the next one'. I'm not asking for money help, I'm asking for advice. What the heck, I am so frustrated!

So here is my dilemma. I am looking to get a new car and my parents are aware that I am in desperate need of one because the one I drive now is on it's last leg. However, I just got THE MOST bullshit excuse I have ever heard in my entire life. she says to me "You can't get a car right now until you fix the one you have. The car lot will not talk to you when your car is in that condition".

Now I'm having a tough time keeping money around because my current and terrible job doesn't give raises because they are cheap ****s and I have to drive an hour to get to my prison... I mean place of work.

I am angrily writing right now because I have noone to really vent to and I could really use some direction right about now to help me get out of here. And yes, before any of you ask, I have been looking for work in cities that pay what I should be earning (compared to my really shitty 10 bucks an hour) and with no luck, I haven't even gotten call-backs. So no need for 'keep trying!' 'cause I already know.

So what can you tell me SPW? What can I do to handle this situation?

MikeyC

That excuse your mum gave you is complete bogus. If you're buying a car, what car you have now won't matter.

Good luck getting a call back for your job. It's a volatile market out there but hopefully one you can break into. :)

Phoenixx

I agree with Mikey about what your mom said. That sounds absolutely ridiculous. I've never bought a car myself before, but from what you've described it sounds like you're much better off buying a new (used?) one than to even bother fixing what you have. I'm not sure why a car lot would care about what you're driving. I'm pretty sure they care more about dollar signs than that.

As for jobs, it's really hard to find any. How close are you to NY (the state in general)? Have you tried anywhere there or even other nearby states for that matter? Job searching sucks here where I am (I'm very close to PA, about 10 mins. from the border), but I've never looked into art and media, since it's not my field and I have no expertise.

Hoppy

You are 26 and can make your own decisions. Go and talk to a few different car salesmen about cars. You don't have to buy anything, but they will give you an idea what is available and they will tell you what your car is worth.

I cannot help you with your parents, nor with the job search but good luck.

Fighter86

Go and talk to a few different car salesmen about cars. You don't have to buy anything, but they will give you an idea what is available and they will tell you what your car is worth.

This is good advise. I am not sure about cars in your area, but I've known there are used cars in very good condition for sale in a much better price than buying new. In some instances, the car looks almost new. Maybe you can explore this option.