had a panic attack recently

LazyHermitCrab

I haven't had one in 3 years when I was just beginning college. I haven't left the house all day and then I finally went out tonight. What happened was I was driving and my rental car was making a funny noise. I thought "I broke the car and I'm going to owe all this money" and then I thought, "the car is going to explode." My heart started pounding, my body was tingly, and then I thought "I'm going to die." I pulled over and walked around in the rain in the night. It felt horrible and I was walking, but I still couldn't breathe right. About ten minutes later I finally calmed down and ate a sandwich and drank water. I feel normal now, but wow that was horrible. :( Anyone else experience this/something similar?

honestjeenn

Everyone here at the site experience that... The symptoms differ sometimes but we are all social/agoraphobiatic here.

Isolated_Writer

Aww :( That's no fun. I had a panic attack just the other day (for the first time in a month). I had gone to the shopping wall (my least favorite place) to get my brother a present. I had to walk up some stairs but with my foot on the first step, I could not for the life of me bring myself to move any further and realized what was happening. Luckily I was right by the bathroom so I hid there.

On a side note, was the car alright?

laure15

My last panic attack was during jury duty, less than a year ago. The lawyers' interrogation was a good scary 20-30 minutes. I couldn't stop myself from shaking and had to do all sorts of weird body movements. I didn't know why I was picked because some of the lawyers didn't like me. Plus the people in the courtroom knew about my social awkwardness so they all avoided eye contact with me. It was horrible. I don't know how I was able to walk up there while everybody was looking at me. By the end of jury duty, I went straight to the bathroom and cried.

I'm not kidding when I say people in the courtroom didn't like me, including the spectators. I heard someone said "b*tch" a couple of times, loudly. I think it came from a lawyer's daughter who I made awkward eye contact with, not intentionally of course.

Last edited:

MikeyC

I thought "I broke the car and I'm going to owe all this money" and then I thought, "the car is going to explode." My heart started pounding, my body was tingly, and then I thought "I'm going to die."
The rapid spiral into very extreme thoughts probably did it. You allowed yourself to believe the car was going to explode. I would assume it didn't.

If this is the first one in 3 years, then that's a good sign. Hopefully you don't get another one until 2016, then. :)

honestjeenn

Mine was just mild for 10 years, the worst was last month and Oh my god, I just kept on thinking about this panic attack daily till this week. But right now I am calm...

I was thinking positive and I prayed hard... My only desire is to let this panic attack go and also my agoraphobia and want to spread gods words. I do want to become evangelist but how can I do that? Scared of leaving the house..

Last edited:

cowboyup

oh, wow. I have certainly been there before. It was probably your thoughts that kind of took a turn for the worse and spiraled out of control that 'helped' put you into panic attack mode. It's a good sign though, since this was your first in 3 years. Eh, I guess trying to put a positive spin on it may help...:idontknow:

Mine were so bad after I lost my job that all I could do was huddle in a corner in the fetal position, rock and cry. I was so scared when it became dark outside that I thought I'd die. Literally.
I dreaded the night to come. Afraid I would not make it through the night and felt suffocated by the darkness.

mikebird

Banned
Yep

A panic attack is a bit ethereal
personal
a wail

I know how to react because I'm need of help after my experience
I used to make my way to hospital in untied shoes, a bit unclothed

Since each event, I decide I won't ever let myself into the care of intensive care again.

I've never been able to see what happens to me

After a few weeks I leave that place capable of looking after myself, but passed from ward to ward, under lock & key
I don't want that to happen
But again the decision might be subjective
I think of a sunny park to be free and lie in the sun by a tree. My convulsions might be life-ending, but might pass away and let me carry on

LazyHermitCrab

Aww :( That's no fun. I had a panic attack just the other day (for the first time in a month). I had gone to the shopping wall (my least favorite place) to get my brother a present. I had to walk up some stairs but with my foot on the first step, I could not for the life of me bring myself to move any further and realized what was happening. Luckily I was right by the bathroom so I hid there.

On a side note, was the car alright?

Yeah the mall is too crazy. :( I usually just go on etsy.com and get a present there lol.

Yes the car was on "eco" mode and it makes noises for some reason when it's set to that.