Guest Worries

Yarrow

Tonight I'm having an old friend over for the first dinner in my new home not cooked for myself. It's not a fancy place, but it's home. Books laid out on the shelves, a few accents on the sparse furniture, and a memento here and there.

I've known this woman for most of my life. We shared all the major trials of growing up and she often invited me over for dinner. I lived in a chaotic, invasive, and unpleasant household and couldn't reciprocate. One of the nicest things my stepfather ever said to guests was that their religion was fake prior to even saying "Good morning" or "Welcome to our home".

We've never been judgmental of each other, but I'm nervous. I'm on a tight budget and am not a particularly good cook (though I seem to be better than many). Dinner won't be any fancier than my home, though hers have always been wonderful. I worry that I'll mess it up just ten minutes before she arrives and won't have time to restock or start again.

Do you struggle even with friends in situations that really shouldn't be a big deal?

MikeyC

You have your own place outside of the chaos that you used to have. That alone will make your guest more comfortable coming over!

Don't stress about what the meal is going to be like or if you're going to mess it up. Cook something simple that isn't expensive but is nice to eat. Your friend should appreciate the effort you're putting into it, instead of chastising you for your lack of funds.

Good luck. :)

Yarrow

You have your own place outside of the chaos that you used to have. That alone will make your guest more comfortable coming over!

Don't stress about what the meal is going to be like or if you're going to mess it up. Cook something simple that isn't expensive but is nice to eat. Your friend should appreciate the effort you're putting into it, instead of chastising you for your lack of funds.

Good luck. :)

Hmm, well you were right. :)

The food turned out fine, so we had a nice dinner. She brought lime cupcakes. I might try something bolder next time, like homemade soup.