Group situations: trouble focussing/hearing problem?

gustavofring

The last few years I've had quite some trouble following group situations. Especially if there's a lot of background noise or multiple conversations going on at the same time. I first thought it may be ADD-related, or depression/anxiety related (brain fog, slow reaction time) but now I think I may have hearing loss. :crying:

Probably have to go to a hearing doctor. Which I can't afford at all.
It's just a really bad problem because during noisy group situations I feel like crap for not following the conversations. I'm only 29, I shouldn't have this.

Does anyone else experience this?

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I have this problem and in my case it is not a hearing problem, neither is it ADD (or so I think), it's just how my brain is. I can follow a meeting if only one person speak at a time, but as soon as people start talking all at the same time, I'm out of the game.

Maybe it's your case as well?

Or do you need people to repeat themselves a lot on one on one conversation?

gustavofring

I have this problem and in my case it is not a hearing problem, neither is it ADD (or so I think), it's just how my brain is. I can follow a meeting if only one person speak at a time, but as soon as people start talking all at the same time, I'm out of the game.

Maybe it's your case as well?

Or do you need people to repeat themselves a lot on one on one conversation?

That too. Especially if its a noisy (work or crowded room) environment and people speak with a soft voice or are turned away from me. Sometimes I just pretend I hear people, but don't even know what they said. Usually I can manage, one on one is fine most of the time, but sometimes it just p- me off that I have to focus so hard on what's being said. It creates awkwardness and makes interaction difficult because I feel like people start being annoyed. I also feel kind of isolated because of it in group conversations, because I zone out instead of actively participating. It sucks.

A couple of years ago I had a big clogged ear problem. I had to get my ears flushed at the doctor. I worry it might be permanent because I have walked around it for too long. I can't remember I had this when I was younger.

Last edited:

Hoppy

I've had hearing tests at work, and my ears are fine. I listen to soft music and can hear stuff other people cannot.

But in a group I cannot hear much. I've found concentrating on the female voices help a bit, I think because the pitch are higher, but the moment there is more than one conversation in the same room I zone out. Sometimes covering my eyes help, but that upset people.

I think it is a brain overload thing.