GlaxoSmithKline drug fraud scandal

Remus

Staff member
the beeb said:
GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) is to pay $3bn (£1.9bn) in the largest healthcare fraud settlement in US history.

BBC News - GlaxoSmithKline to pay $3bn in US drug fraud scandal

GSK, one of the world's largest healthcare and pharmaceuticals companies, admitted to promoting antidepressants Paxil and Wellbutrin for unapproved uses, including treatment of children and adolescents.

I noticed the drugs Paxil and Wellbutrin crop up on this forum, has anyone here been put on these drugs as a child or teen? Maybe you should get a lawyer?
Doctors bribed

"The sales force bribed physicians to prescribe GSK products using every imaginable form of high-priced entertainment, from Hawaiian vacations [and] paying doctors millions of dollars to go on speaking tours, to tickets to Madonna concerts," said US attorney Carmin Ortiz.

Disgraceful! If you cannot trust your GP, who can you trust! My diabetic great aunt has been affected by this over in the states, my mum is fuming! (I should point out that my mum and her family are American)

Last edited:

EscapeArtist

Ohhhh you don't live in the US! Yeah, this is very common in the US! Drug companies also have power over the decisions of the government, they pay massive bribes to have control of what laws are passed and what not.. it's horrible!

KitKat2

It doesn't surprise me at all. All these drug companies make millions off unsuspecting people. Having worked in the medical field for many years, I have realized that I can't trust doctors and that's why I don't take medications and only use natural ones, when I have to.

Nanita

Medicine makers & sellers want people to be ill
If people were healthy, they would have no business
They make drugs that do not cure or heal

Ignace

It's shocking that this happens with such a big company ..
@Nanita, you can't blame them for the will of making money, every company has the same goal and that's profit. It's the same as in every business, except this is more sensitive because it's about humans' health. I don't hear anyone complaining that the oil industry killed the electric car in the beginning of the 20th century and in the 90's ? Together with health, I consider our planet as quite important too ..

Section_31

It's shocking that this happens with such a big company ..
@Nanita, you can't blame them for the will of making money, every company has the same goal and that's profit. It's the same as in every business, except this is more sensitive because it's about humans' health. I don't hear anyone complaining that the oil industry killed the electric car in the beginning of the 20th century and in the 90's ? Together with health, I consider our planet as quite important too ..

^ this!

I worked for GSK canada about 10 yrs ago or more.....you cuoldnt pay me enough to go back. Worst manager i ever had, i was humiliated on a daily basis. Not sure what this really has to do with these guys,. but i wasnt suprised by this when i saw it in the news. Very dollar first mentality.

coyote

and to make things worse, the practice of prescribing medicine by medical doctors has now become the very definition of healing in the minds of so many people

in fact, medical doctors in the US have pretty much given themselves final authority to decide what healing practices may or may not be legal - thereby eliminating the competition altogether

Last edited:

Nanita

@Nanita, you can't blame them for the will of making money, every company has the same goal and that's profit. It's the same as in every business, except this is more sensitive because it's about humans' health

Oh I can blame them. I do blame them.
And many others. Including ourselves/the people. Time to wake up.

Nanita

the practice of prescribing medicine by medical doctors has now become the very definition of healing in the minds of so many people

in fact, medical doctors in the US have pretty much given themselves final authority to decide what healing practices may or may not be legal - thereby eliminating the competition altogether

Exactly, exactly.
It is screaming for drastic changes but it will take tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime

Last edited by a moderator:

psych

Originally Posted by Nanita

Not to mention bullsh*t drugs they're putting out for illness like fibromyalgia... & Those patients are forced to try all these prescriptions before they are able to move on to other drugs that have been proven to work.

Ignace

Oh I can blame them. I do blame them.
And many others. Including ourselves/the people. Time to wake up.

You can blame them for the way how they money, but not that they want money, everyone is like fighting dogs for a bone if it's about money. That's reality.