Genetic Engineering

squidgee

Tech has evolved to the stage where we can nearly screen out genetic diseases such as Huntington's disease. Since many researchers believe that mental disorders are partially influenced by our genetic makeup, do you think we could have a future where mental disorders such as SA or depression become much less common or even completely eradicated simply because we can alter the genes responsible for it? I know environmental factors play a big role as well, but wouldn't it be awesome if we could somehow reduce the likelihood of these debilitating conditions.

I also wanted ask for opinions on this question, it was something we discussed in class yesterday. Let's say you're going to have a child and you have the ability to 'design' your child, would you change their physical and intellectual traits as you see fit or leave it up to chance? :question:

hexagon_sun

There is good and bad uses for any technology. Take nuclear energy. On one hand you have a cheap and efficient source of energy; on the other hand a weapon that could spell the end of our civilization. My attitude towards genetic engineering is the same as with any technology. With great power comes great responsibility. In my opinion, we currently have too many extremists out there who will pervert and misuse it. I hear talk of a transhumanism movement and the creation of hybrids that echo ancient mythological creatures like the Minatoar. I have no desire to be anything more than an optimal version of myself, free of "illness." People who dive head-long into designer humans freighten me... They are the ones that ruin it for those of us who are purely interested in the medical applications. In a world full of sick people, the last thing we need to concern ourselves with is how to transform into a giant preying mantises with bat wings and night vision! ...Another thing that concerns me is; in my opinion, most mental disorders can be "cured" by conventional medicine. It's just that for some reason, either there are a lot of bad doctors, or they are elitists who have no real interest inmaking us better. We are their guinea pigs to try out different methods of mind control.

squidgee

There is good and bad uses for any technology. Take nuclear energy. On one hand you have a cheap and efficient source of energy; on the other hand a weapon that could spell the end of our civilization. My attitude towards genetic engineering is the same as with any technology. With great power comes great responsibility. In my opinion, we currently have too many extremists out there who will pervert and misuse it. I hear talk of a transhumanism movement and the creation of hybrids that echo ancient mythological creatures like the Minatoar. I have no desire to be anything more than an optimal version of myself, free of "illness." People who dive head-long into designer humans freighten me... They are the ones that ruin it for those of us who are purely interested in the medical applications. In a world full of sick people, the last thing we need to concern ourselves with is how to transform into a giant preying mantises with bat wings and night vision! ...Another thing that concerns me is; in my opinion, most mental disorders can be "cured" by conventional medicine. It's just that for some reason, either there are a lot of bad doctors, or they are elitists who have no real interest inmaking us better. We are their guinea pigs to try out different methods of mind control.

I see your point and I agree, there are so many ethical, legal and social issues associated with such technologies. I wouldn't use genetic engineering to make human enhancements or anything, but there are certainly people out there who think its a great idea. This is all becoming more real with each passing day and the implications it carries are kinda scary for me.

Flanscho

In general: sure, that will happen. The question is just where to draw the line between a designer baby (yes, green eyes, red hair please, and between 1.70m and 1.75m tall when grown up), and between avoiding crippling diseases.

But that discussion is already going on since quite a number of years. For example, when some parents want a girl. If the woman is pregnant with a boy, should she abort him? Or rather give birth to a boy, and another boy, and another boy, and the fourth one is finally a girl. How would the other boys feel then? Knowing that they are just an unwanted byproduct. Or, as in some rural areas in China or India, that the child with the wrong gender gets killed after birth.

Section_31

This happened in star trek. It ended up in the eugenics wars and a group of genetically engineered superhumans attempting to sieze control of the world....

Phase out disease? absolutely. Put but limits on what were allowed to do by law. IE no designer babies.

coyote

let's make the world as bland and beige and boring as possible

and round off all the sharp corners while we're at it