Generic Rant

chris11

Yep. I graduated with very high standing as an undergraduate in a subject I love, so I decided to continue on and get a masters degree with the intention of getting a phd afterwards. Of course, this was while I was experiencing a resurgence of my old friend depression, and my long standing compatriot anxiety.

I arrive on my new campus, and attend the mandatory orientation. I'm nervous as hell, and I think. Okay this is fine, you should expect to be nervous for the next few days. You're clearly bright enough to be here, and you have dealt with worse anxiety.

Of course, the anxiety doesn't go away, and it just builds and builds. Eventually I also start experiencing depression, and I don't want to get out of my bed to go to classes. I.start drinking more beer, and continue to get worse.

Done my first semester. Now the second one starts up. I can so anxious that I decide to try to kill myself. I drink a litre of vodka, and swallow 90x the dose of a medication that one really shouldn't take with alcohol. I panic shortly after, get my phone out to call 911. Then I pass out. I wake up between 18 and 22 hours later to discover that I've completely trashed the place, apparently dumping bottles of sauce on the floor and leaving a piece of meat in a frying pan for over 15 hours on high heat, cooking in an enormous amount of different kinds of sauce.

Now, one month after that, I'm still depresed and wanting to die most days. In 22 days, I'll only have one semester left of my masters, and it will be a much lighter semester. I've decided not to go to a phd program as I don't want my health to get even worse. It's even possible that The pills ****ed my liver and that I'll die of liver failure in a couple of years.

I'm going to graduate and feel like a complete failure. Moreover, I'll likly be unable to get any decent job. Regardless, I'll be back home and be able to see people I really care about. Hopefully things will get better then

I was worried about this happening before coming here, but thought I could manage. I could have died a month ago as a result

Livemylife

I'm sorry you had to go through that. I think a counselor told me once that changing environments can cause anxiety. It is true in my case because my most anxious periods were when I first started high school and when I started college.
At least you almost got your masters:thumbup: Why won't you be able to get a job?

Lavinialuna

You are a valuable person, please don't do that again! I hope your liver is okay, but don't stress about that, people are resilient beasts! Worry will only make the anxiety worse.
Lets take a moment to look at your achievements instead of your perceived failures: Look at what you have accomplished! Here I am, I hardly leave my house- but you are out there getting your masters degree! You are doing amazing! Do not worry about being a failure. Just existing is enough. Just being alive is enough. Just live for yourself and your loved ones, you have nothing to prove to anyone. You don't have to leave a legacy, write a novel or cure cancer, just be you and exist. It is enough. Life is beautiful, it's intense and horrible at times, but beautiful. Do what makes you happy. Eat clean. Don't drink. Don't muddy your body with toxins, just try to be healthy and happy, nothing else blinking matters but joy. My heart goes out to you! Hugs.