Friends Leaving You Out of Experiences..

SierraSage

Does anyone else feel like friends and relatives just behave as though they don't deserve the same experiences as everyone else?

Just for one example: On social networking sites, several women I know post glamour and beach/sunbathing shots of themselves. They get absolutely flooded with compliments over it.

I'm not comfortable enough with my appearance to even wear a swimsuit and go to the beach or sunbathe...but I was thinking of posting a nice new professional headshot or two. But when I told some friends...all two of the ones I had...that I was saving up to get them...instead of telling me how fun that would be, how pretty I would look, etc...like everybody else gets...the way people acted..you would have thought I was going to do something X rated and shameful to all who knew me!

Now I don't expect to be innundated with compliments. I just wanted a nice current photo or two and thought it might make me feel like "one of the girls" if only online. But they didn't need to carry on as though I and I alone shouldn't have a good picture up! Geez!

That particular situation is a moot point now. One friend is gone for good..one probably is though Im not sure at this point...and I took my page down..because...I need a social networking page like a fish needs a bicycle. My friends list consisted of my two friends (until they each blocked me on separate occasions)...and a bunch of old school classmates and work contacts and distant relatives.

But just the general attitude upset me...getting the message that anything lighthearted and fun is for everybody else but me.

And just as a side note: Their fears were not justified. I'm one of those people who is overly cautious and reserved with things like that. I dress modestly, and was planning to wear an outfit I would wear to work in the photos.

MikeyC

I need a social networking page like a fish needs a bicycle.
This made me laugh. :)

You don't talk to these two people anymore? So why is their opinion important, again? ;)

If you want to put up a professional photo somewhere, do it. Don't allow anyone to stop you because that's where insecurities and a pushover personality lie. I still think you should totally do it and you'll be happy you did.

Hoppy

Having pictures taken by a professional is really worth it. A good photographer will bring out the best side of you, and you will have something to use with confidence. I still regret I do not have any good pictures of myself.

TheSanctuarian

I myself have had friends ask me to do photo shoots of them because it makes them feel good. It sounds weird, but having someone who knows how to use a camera take a few shots of you can be really good for you.

ashcatt20_by_thesanctuarian-d5uugqn.jpg

Here are a few that I've done.

lovers_by_thesanctuarian-d424gls.jpg

look_into_my_eyes_by_thesanctuarian-d424exu.jpg

I don't like tacky half-naked shots at the beach, I think photography is an artform. and the model is a piece of art in themselves. trust in your photographer and they'll show a side of you you never thought possible.

SierraSage

Thanks for being supportive of the idea guys. Their opinions mattered because well..these used to be my two only friends and I do miss them. But I see the point..don't just let people tell me what to do all the time. If I know something would be good for me, do it and let people say whatever they feel like saying.

SierraSage

True. The one guy I actually thought would be eager to have a nice photo of me. It was one of only 2 friends I had, and my closest friend. But he acted like it was going to lead to my certain doom instead. A few weeks later this friend and I had a fight, and have sort of patched things up but aren't really good friends again.

Fighter86

Well, I think you should go ahead to get the professional pic done, it ll be fun, besides its what you would like, your friends are probably jealous they would turn out great so they don't want you to do it :rolleyes: