forgot how to laugh

dottie

anyone else experience this?

it seems like it is nearly humanly impossible for me to laugh. the only thing that makes me laugh is pets & animals. sometimes i hear people laughing and it sounds so wonderful. i enjoy hearing it when it is genuine but i don't feel much humor and not enough to give me the physical reaction of laughing.

sometimes i get tired of being such a serious person but i don't know any other way to be. sometimes i think of hanging out with other people who laugh so i can follow suit and laugh with them. but i find when i hang out with people i am an emotional vampire. i don't want to use people for their joy or bring them down.

how can i reach laughter on my own? genuine laughter.

Telephone

Well I have never really been able to laugh at anything. Even if I find somethign really funny I usually can't laugh about it. The only way I can if someone physically forces me too, in which I always end up slapping them for. Same with all other emotions really, just cannot express them. I don't know how to reach it on my own either.

dottie

Re: Telephone

Psychedelicious said:
Same with all other emotions really, just cannot express them. I don't know how to reach it on my own either.

you don't cry every now and then?

recluse

I do laugh sometimes but most of the time i feel as if my anxiety has blotted out my sense of humour. I feel so uptight at times i am incapable of having a sense of humour. I often have a hard time getting a joke.

Re: Telephone

dottie said:
Psychedelicious said:
Same with all other emotions really, just cannot express them. I don't know how to reach it on my own either.

you don't cry every now and then?

Nope not really. I can't cry, even if I want to. It's like I am lacking the feelings to express these emotions.

Xos

i was reading your message and felt so identified in it :cry: . I ask that to myself constantly. When was the last time i laughed? :cry: .
I feel so judged ,so rigid that i can' t be natural. I feel free inside and don' t have to "play a role" when i see someone with a baby ,or when i deal with very old people, then i don' t feel judged by him/her and i can laugh and "be myself". It is sad, but true. :cry:

dottie

recluse said:
I often have a hard time getting a joke.

me, too! when someone tells a joke and i don't get it i can tell people wonder about me afterwards, like they're considering if i'm slow. if i were alone and watching from the outside (like tv, almost) i feel like i would get it. but when i am around people and someone makes a joke i am so overwhelmed and preoccupied by social anxiety that i either respond in the wrong way or just miss it altogether.

sometimes when i am around people i laugh (and even over-laugh) out of nervousness. but it isn't a sincere, genuinine, heartfelt, carefree laugh.