Following The Audio Tape Series (Overcoming Social Anxiety, Step By Step)

voodoochild16

I know alot of people that have listened to this series and have either gived up, or at least found something out of it. I plan to take full advantage of it, because it is recommended as the best self-help therapy available. I'm a listener not totally a reader, naturally at least. This is a long post I know, but can anyone at LEAST post some ideas? I have talking to walls.. thanks in advance!.

Anyways I have some questions about how other people followed it properly without giving up (it's normal to give up anyways). My main question is how anyone here follows it differently, that were successful in using what ever method of routine?.

So it recommends to listen to one tape, starting off with #1 obviously once a day for a week, then to move onto the other. To do that for every tape for an hour/day it would take about 5 months.. but I've been listening to these tapes for like a year and a half now.. so I want to follow them correctly, and that's why I am on tape #3.

A half hour per day is kind of what I can handle, but then you have to listen to the other side half way through the week, for me I listen to it till I am tired of and know I've heard enough of it.

As for the handouts, those I can complete as a task much easier than listening to the tapes, though I don't know if I should know them in my head word for word or what.. before i move on. Of course learning the techniques is most important.

Feathers

Hi! I think it's great that your doing the program for yourself!

I'm naturally more of a reader, I did tape some stuff onto a casette for myself to listen to in the past, and it was kinda cool.

What kind of ideas are you looking for?

Sorry I am not familiar with your program. Maybe you can find a forum where it is discussed more (just google its name + forum) or ask the people/company who produced it?

I think it's okay to go with your own pace..
I learnt German and French from tapes in the past and it was kinda cool, I did lose motivation a bit later on and do better in 'live' courses..

I think you can listen to them as you wish, at least I am of the sort that I would probably get bored of just listening to one thing all the time.. You can maybe experiment a bit and see what works best?

You can also just listen while you are doing other things, you don't need to always fully concentrate on this, or before you go to sleep or when you wake up.. You get stuff into your subconscious that way, and then you can listen to it again with full attention and you can understand and memorize it better.. Have you tried this yet?

Have you experienced any good results from the tapes yet? It would be interesting to hear!

UnOccupied

Hey! im SO HAPPY i saw this post. I am actually on my 7th week of this exact same therapy. It was a lot in the beginning, with all of the work sheets, and audio tapes, but after about the 4th tape, it gets really easy, and you figure out the best ways for YOU to do it. Like, i remember wanting to quit in the beginning, and give up. But, now(im on disc number 9), i look forward all day to my therapy, and i have yet to miss a single day since i started.

I would recommend listening to the tape each week once in the beginning of the week to figure out what you need to do. And then, during the week, listen to it again just to solidify anything you may have missed the first time around. Keep in mind, the first few discs are a little confusing, and challenging, but they get a LOT easier as you get into the swing of things.

Good luck in your therapy!

UnOccupied

Come on i know there must be someone out there on these forums doing these audio series. I am just looking for some advice, and comments about it.

anxiety1408

Im starting this program today, I hope it does what it says it does, Cos I wont be happy if after 5 months I feel the same way as I do now!

UnOccupied

The way i look at it is i wasn't doing anything to actually help my SA before this program. So, if it helps, even a little i would be happy, if not, then i am glad i at least tried to help myself, i will move onto the next thing.

Also, its something you need to take one step at a time.

I am on my 7th week of this program, and it has helped immensly. Even though i had a bad weekend with my family that has me still feeling somewhat deflated, i know the CBT made the weekend more bearable than it would have been before it(and im only on the 9th tape).

Keep in mind, the first few tapes might be rough, but after tape 4, they get a lot easier. Let me know how your doing :) And also, i did the first three tapes in like one week, which made them kind of hard. It is hard to slow down with these things, especially in the beginning when your striving for results, but it definitely would have made the beginning easier for me. Good luck!

anxiety1408

The way i look at it is i wasn't doing anything to actually help my SA before this program. So, if it helps, even a little i would be happy, if not, then i am glad i at least tried to help myself, i will move onto the next thing.

Also, its something you need to take one step at a time.

I am on my 7th week of this program, and it has helped immensly. Even though i had a bad weekend with my family that has me still feeling somewhat deflated, i know the CBT made the weekend more bearable than it would have been before it(and im only on the 9th tape).

Keep in mind, the first few tapes might be rough, but after tape 4, they get a lot easier. Let me know how your doing :) And also, i did the first three tapes in like one week, which made them kind of hard. It is hard to slow down with these things, especially in the beginning when your striving for results, but it definitely would have made the beginning easier for me. Good luck!

Thanks for replying, I personally have been going through a few books before this but trying to do too much and literally getting nowhere, I had no plan or anything I was just hopeing it would somehow go away in a few days, This is more planned out and over a lengthy period of time so Im going to try and keep up with it Its something I can work on and feel like im getting somewhere rather than skipping through alot of self help books and forgetting all the information I read, Thing is its got to be done slowly and you got to understand what your doing.

I know what you mean from the start we strive for results and I personally have done meditation/exercise and things like this before with the mindset of doing everything as quick as I can and I got nowhere but where I had started and probably worse because Even after all I've done im still very anxious.. This time I'm going to follow it all the way through and If I dont succeed in reducing anxiety then I will take further steps, But for now this is Progress. :) Thanks, and Good luck with yours! :cool:

UnOccupied

Thanks for replying, I personally have been going through a few books before this but trying to do too much and literally getting nowhere, I had no plan or anything I was just hopeing it would somehow go away in a few days, This is more planned out and over a lengthy period of time so Im going to try and keep up with it Its something I can work on and feel like im getting somewhere rather than skipping through alot of self help books and forgetting all the information I read, Thing is its got to be done slowly and you got to understand what your doing.

I know what you mean from the start we strive for results and I personally have done meditation/exercise and things like this before with the mindset of doing everything as quick as I can and I got nowhere but where I had started and probably worse because Even after all I've done im still very anxious.. This time I'm going to follow it all the way through and If I dont succeed in reducing anxiety then I will take further steps, But for now this is Progress. :) Thanks, and Good luck with yours! :cool:

I know exactly what you mean! Sometimes, i try to read too many of the handouts at once, and then i have trouble remembering my rational thoughts, and i get frustrated and anxious. So, i think the motto with CBT, is less is more.

anxiety1408

I know exactly what you mean! Sometimes, i try to read too many of the handouts at once, and then i have trouble remembering my rational thoughts, and i get frustrated and anxious. So, i think the motto with CBT, is less is more.

Yeah I think that it is, More is nothing lol literally, Less seems to do the job, But damn I need to learn to be patient, Im really not a patient person.. But indeed less is more and remember that applies to exercise and everything, If everything is planned out over a period of time you eventually get more done in a shorter period of time in the long run...

Even the poster himself said he has been doing this for a year and half, and now using the planned route he is on track 3, So it really goes to show that by doing less you get the job done, Keep it up! :cool:

UnOccupied

Supposed to start disc TEN tomorrow. Wow, i've actually managed to do something half way :) I'm not sure though if i should do it, or try to solidify some older handout for another week?

UnOccupied

I made it HALF WAY, wooo hooo! Friday will be my two month anniversary with this CBT series, and i am so happy i did something half way. I look forward to the challenges ahead of me in the second half of the series. I can't believe how much this has changed my life already, i can actually TALK to girls now, lol. Have a good day everyone, there is no reason not to!