Folk Music

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Random question here. Anyone else into folk music, bluegrass, the like?

Kinda, I guess. I'm not huge fan of bluegrass music, though. It's not that I think it's crap or anything like that - I don't. It's just I've never explored that genre of much... I don't mean that as a criticism of the music in anyway.

GraybeardGhost

I was into folk music when I was younger, more Old-Time than Bluegrass. I had The Folksinger's Wordbook, played mandolin in the Appalachian string band in college, went contra dancing, even hung out at a few Swannanoa Gatherings. I'm more into Classical now. It's less wordy.

Xervello

Random question here. Anyone else into folk music, bluegrass, the like?

What artists/bands did you have in mind?

I'm more into older folk than newer, though there are a few blogs around of independents who post a song here or there that I listen to. I like the oldies like John Fahey (one of my faves!), Fred Neil, Dillard & Clark and heaps of others.

coyote

my musical tastes are pretty eclectic, but i mostly love listening to real, heartfelt music produced by real musicians playing real musical instruments - mostly acoustic - rather than the mainstream, electronic pop/dance stuff... so "folk" music is one of my favorites. love bluegrass.

5arah

I was into folk music when I was younger, more Old-Time than Bluegrass. I had The Folksinger's Wordbook, played mandolin in the Appalachian string band in college, went contra dancing, even hung out at a few Swannanoa Gatherings. I'm more into Classical now. It's less wordy.

Mandolin, nice. My grandmother plays with a group that gets together every other Sunday. They have some mandolin players. She tried to teach me to play the autoharp, but unfortunately I have no musical talent.

5arah

What artists/bands did you have in mind?

I'm more into older folk than newer, though there are a few blogs around of independents who post a song here or there that I listen to. I like the oldies like John Fahey (one of my faves!), Fred Neil, Dillard & Clark and heaps of others.

Yeah, I mostly listen to the newer bands (The Duhks, The Wailin' Jennys, Hem, et al.), but that's just because they're what I've heard so far. I'll have to check yours out some time.

5arah

my musical tastes are pretty eclectic, but i mostly love listening to real, heartfelt music produced by real musicians playing real musical instruments - mostly acoustic - rather than the mainstream, electronic pop/dance stuff... so "folk" music is one of my favorites. love bluegrass.

Yeah, I love the traditional songs about life and pain that no one even knows who wrote them. There's just something awesome about that.