Fighting The Negativity?

206Raider

So this New Year inspired me to get things done and start really living life again, going back to school again can already be checked off but it doesn't start til March. In the mean time, I'm trying to stay positive but every single day new doubt enters my mind, It's like a tug of war between like God and the Devil or something most of the time. I think one day, "I can do this, I'm feeling good and life is getting good again" then tommorow I'm thinking "oh no, your hopeless, things will never go back to the way they were when you were younger and carefree, this is your life now". Negativity really ruled 2009 for me and I know you can't just flip a switch to feel better for 2010 but I figure there is not a better time to really dip my feet back into the real world.

I try to block it out but I feel I've been so negative for so long it's hard to reverse the effects and start believing in myself again. I get so anxious when I go out and try new things, I know I have to try them to get past all this but with that anxiety brings major doubt and all I can see is failure. I know 90% of everybody here have trouble blocking out the negative as well but I'm tired of this emotional rollercoaster of highs and lows.

Last edited:

DownInAHole

You pretty much just described me as well man. I feel good one day, ****ty the next, wishing I could go back to when I was younger, etc. Hopefully 2010 will be the year things turn around.

Well, It's great that you determine to fight your negativity right now although you might not overcome it overnight but you surely will eventually, experience taught me this.

A couple of years from now on you may face a lot of challenge gain a lot of experience and these things will change you.

lithiumflower

That’s great to hear that you are trying and good luck to you. I wish I could. I have a serious problem with motivation… even with things that I really want.

ikbenrifi

That happens to me too, sometimes i feel very good at the point i think there is no SA, it's gone now, i found my way ! but all of a sudden, i fall down to my old status, sometimes even worse ! and that is so depressing, but the key hear is to not give up, keep on believing in change, and that way, you are going to make it !
Most importantly, we have to learn from our own experiences, i mean to not repeat our faults, that way we risk to stay in the same cycle and never make any progress, because the same causes lead to same results!
thank you

T!GER

I've learn't to go hard and get alot of things done when I'm happy, this ensures that I stay ahead when the cycle comes around. It's about survival in the real world and balance in your own.

paydo

this is exactly my problem to,yesterday i felt great then all of sudden start felling depressed and awful,to tell you the truth am tired,and right now i don't know how to start feeling happy again,ahhh,i hate this

rayray

I understand you,I want to be more positive in this year also,like start to believe in myself,that i can and i will make things go right,but problem is the finding motivation,still,I'll try to change. :)

206Raider

Thanks guys, today just sucks for some reason. I woke up and it's all cloudy and rainy, had nightmares all night lol and I did make a few important phone calls and I have an appointment to finalize going to school again in March today but I just feel so damn drug down today for no particular reason. Just one of those days where I feel lonely and don't care. Your comments make me feel better though, I'll try my hardest to get feeling better today, I hope it works. Can't let the negativity beat me down lol.

DownInAHole

Thanks guys, today just sucks for some reason. I woke up and it's all cloudy and rainy, had nightmares all night lol and I did make a few important phone calls and I have an appointment to finalize going to school again in March today but I just feel so damn drug down today for no particular reason. Just one of those days where I feel lonely and don't care. Your comments make me feel better though, I'll try my hardest to get feeling better today, I hope it works. Can't let the negativity beat me down lol.

Yeah cloudy, cold, and wet Washington days don't help do they lol.

Ah I was so negative about a year ago. I was always depressed and sad and never thought anything positive.

All you have to do is block the negative thoughts and replace them with positive ones

What I did whenever I had a negative thought is I'd immediately just start thinking of a song that I really like (should be a happy one)

Then I'd tell myself the exact opposite of what I was thinking like "I actually CAN do this, I'm a great guy and I love myself!!"

It's hard at first but after a while you'll realise that you actually are awesome and you'll get your self esteem back :)

lollipop103

It's so hard to block out that negative stuff though. Sometimes it feels like it's all wonderful and the next you're back under the weather eating ice cream.

206Raider

Man, I've failed at this too for a long time Ego, I know what you mean, it's gonna take a lot of work to keep moving forward. It just feels like I take a step forward and 2 steps back so a lot of times I just want to wave that white flag and say I give up. Also yes, Washington does suck, who's idea was it to make it rain 340 days out of the year here lol? All of you are awesome though, coming here atleast rids some of my stress.

paydo

Ah I was so negative about a year ago. I was always depressed and sad and never thought anything positive.

All you have to do is block the negative thoughts and replace them with positive ones

What I did whenever I had a negative thought is I'd immediately just start thinking of a song that I really like (should be a happy one)

Then I'd tell myself the exact opposite of what I was thinking like "I actually CAN do this, I'm a great guy and I love myself!!"

It's hard at first but after a while you'll realise that you actually are awesome and you'll get your self esteem back :)

to tell you the truth,i know am awesome and a great guy,but its just one thoughts,or like yesterday for me one bad comment and am already down,...but i do believe you are right,i already heard about this,form "overcoming social-anxiety step by step",they say every time a bad thought comes to you,you just think about a stop sign and start singing a song in your head because you are concentrating ,more on the song then the negativity,and the anxiety goes away,but like you said it takes practice

itay

it's so true what you're saying, especially "I'm tired of this emotional rollercoaster of highs and lows" is what i'm facing these days. Ther things that is helping me a bit is trying to take action and achieve happynes by these little piece of action, even if they are little things. I think it's really difficult to change my situation, if i'm constantly unhappy.
Even worst, try hard like i'm trying these days to not never think you self like a looser, when these thoughts are coming, try to take action, small things, this is helping me a lot, because a give my self something concrete to count on and this helps me not to think of the bad things. I try living present and not thinking of the past (this is becoming a bit difficult but i'm trying)

when negative thoughts about the past come over, instead of thinking that they've happend because i was a looser, i tell my self that they are a lesson so if i'll have the same opportunities now or in the future i'll won't do the same mistakes!

Last edited:

Krista

I'm really sorry dear to hear that you feel this way ::(:

But I know exactly how you're feeling, well I mean everyone here does I'm sure. Having all these dreams of how you'd like things to be and really feeling as if you're going to do them but you lack the motivation to do it even though you really want it. Feeling on top of the world one day, like you could take on anything and the next is like a bottomless pit of depression. When you self doubt yourself so much, for so long it's hard to reverse that mind set.

I don't know how I did it but one day I just woke up and said to myself(literally) that this was going to be a new year for me. I'm tired of feeling like my life has no meaning and I can't do anything to change it. I'm the only one who can do that for myself, no one else. It's like retraining yourself to think all over again but it's possible and I have tons of faith in you. You know I'll always be here for you anyways ;) as will everyone here who wants to see you succeed.