Feelings

Ispoke

Can anyone say why, when I'm with my girlfriend who I love, I sometimes feel detached, when we're experiencing things together. It's like the only place where I feel "safe" with her, is when we're at home in bed watching movies. My emotions are extremely unpredictable, and they are never where I expect them to be. I feel bad for this, I feel guilty. When we're out, I'm not always attached to the situation, even though I know that we're there together and I should be. Half the time, I'm IN the situation and enjoying it, not thinking all these annoying meta-thoughts. The other half I'm kind of conscious about everything, and my emotions are thereby... Not there in a way.

It's like.... When I'm a home now, I think about these things, I can cry a lot and feel empty, like I betray her, like I'm apathic. It's like there's something I want to feel for her, to show her, and I feel so damn ashamed. I feel like I'm tricking everybody. But I'm not I think. I just don't understand why my feelings can't be in synch with what's going on. I was also visiting my mother once last week, had a nice evening, but when I got home I felt sad, like crying, and I felt like I betrayed her. I feel this a lot with my girlfriend as well, when she's not present. Like I betray her, and everyone. What's up with this?

I can't really differ between my feelings. In a normal day you need some sort of emotional ballast in order to get through the day. You can't cry every single time someone is mean or similar. But this hardens me up I think...I mean... How am I supposed to be? It's like I can't function in the "outside world" because I'm too sensitive, but I'm not in balance either in my "inside world", because my love for my closest doesn't come out when I want it to. It's like I can only feel love after I've cried because I feel so empty. It's like I have to suffer and suffer, and hate myself, blaming myself for not just being 1-to-1.

Everything's so complicated.

Ispoke

Luckily this changed when we spend more time together. I think we just needed to focus more on eachother.

Lamb

For a minute I grew very paranoid and nervous wondering if you were my boyfriend in secret. lol

I deal with this too, don't really know.

Xervello

It sucks you feel that way, Ispoke, but it seems like you put up too many imagined expectations of yourself that you think others have for you. Constantly assessing how you're "performing" in the moment maybe? Continue being yourself. If your girlfriend didn't like who you are or have been she wouldn't still be with you. So obviously you're not doing anything wrong in her eyes. It sounds like you're blaming yourself for not being perfect. Maybe if you can stop the self-guilt about that you'll understand what other issues are causing you to feel so bad. The best thing to do is to keep trying, keep attempting to push through it.