feel sick all the time?

agoraphobickatie

i know this isn't much to do with social anxiety, but my issues are more with general anxiety disorder and agoraphobia... anyway, a lot of my anxiety stems from feeling sick. it's a vicious circle.. i feel sick (upset stomach, nausea) when i'm scared to do something, then i get really anxious because even though i know i feel sick because i'm anxious, i actually FEEL sick, so it makes me even more anxious.. it's so dumb... i can literally make myself feel worse and worse. most people i talk to are just like "yeah? well everybody gets sick.. everyone poops and everyone pukes." ...except i HATE getting sick. i hate throwing up. it is absolutely miserable for me, seriously! i don't know why i'm such a baby about it.. i have a high pain tolerance and there's a lot of stuff i can put up with, but nausea/upset stomach just kills me..... anyway, a few days ago i woke up and had to go to the bathroom, then i got all freaked out 'cause i thought i was gonna puke, so it pretty much lasted all day.. i was anxious and nauseous and felt like HELL all day, and i'm pretty sure if i had just gone to the bathroom and been over it (like i normal person) i would have been fine.. i just worry and it amplifies everything...

i don't know if this makes much sense to anyone, and i'm sorry if it's yucky or graphic =/ ..i was just wondering if anyone else is the same way?? it sucks...

EscapeArtist

I used to have IBS, which was upset stomach ever 3-4ish days. It was intensely painful and I thought it was normal. Felt sick all the time, yes. All the time.

This of course IS NOT NORMAL. It is not normal for your body to hurt on a daily basis, period.
Of course, digestion is directly related to food. It sounds to me that you may have a food sensitivity. That turned out to be my issue, haven't had that problem in about a year now after a lifetime of embarrassing pain. Both nausea and upset stomachs are ways of your body trying to flush something out that shouldn't be there.

Did you know when you have an upset stomach you flush out much of the 90% of your body's serotonin that is in your digestive tract? Your anxiety and worries may be directly related to your sickness, it may be a cycle. The mind and body are connected directly... There are immune cells in your brain and brain cells in your stomach.

But anyways, no you're not crazy! And you don't have to be in pain forever, believe me! I highly recommend you eliminate gluten and dairy from your diet. Don't allow even trace amounts. It may not only stop the digestive discomfort, but it most likely will help with your anxiety/depression(if you have) as well. For me it was like coming alive for the first time, experiencing life without pain. Dramatic but true

I was watching a lecture on TV and heard that the new current status for gluten sensitivity is 43% of the population. Dairy intolerance is somewhere up in the 70+ %s.

Promise you will feel better...Goodluck darlin'

Here's a bit more on the symptoms... Even if you only have a few

Respiratory: rhinitis, sinusitis, asthma, ear infections, throat pain, cough, hoarseness, mucous build-up

Gastrointestinal
Vomiting, bloating, cramps, nausea, feeling of fullness, constipation, diarrhea, colic, irritable bowel syndrome, digestive disorders, (stomach, intestines), proctocolitis and Crohn’s disease , hemorrhagic ulcers,

Skin and skin appendages
Hives, eczema ( atopic dermatitis ), infantile eczema, acne, psoriasis, redness, dry skin, itching.

Central nervous system Migraine, anxiety, headaches, dizziness, concentration disorders, drowsiness, depression, hyperactivity

Musculoskeletal system Arthritis, joint and muscular pain, back pain, weakness, fibromyalgia, cramps

Eyes Dry, watery, red, swollen eyelids, stuck together

Endocrine Type I diabetes, obesity and type II diabetes, thyroiditis

Cardiovascular High blood pressure, atherosclerosis

Sorry if that was an overflow of information lol I tend to do that when eager to help!

agoraphobickatie

thank you so much for your reply!! i guess i'll have to start researching gluten free foods! haha... what is the easiest way to know what you should and should not eat?? do you have any tips? again, thanks so much! i really appreciate it!

EscapeArtist

You are welcome!
The easiest way to avoid gluten would be to eat whole foods. Gluten is hidden everywhere these days, in soups, candy/chocolate, deli meats.... Sometimes behind the names "Food starch", "Artificial flavors", even "spices" on the labels of things.

There are lots of gluten free things at stores like Whole Foods though, if you really need a cinnamon bun or cookie at one point :p

Grains to steer free from are barley, spelt, rye, kamut, wheat, oats.

I hope you feel better!

agoraphobickatie

Maybe you have emetophobia - vomiting phobia?

i would definitely say so, except that other people vomiting doesn't really bother me.. or seeing it happen or whatever.. i just hate the feeling before you puke, i can't imagine feeling that horrible anywhere but in my "safe" home, lol.. i feel like if i felt like i had to puke and i wasn't at home, it would just be the worst thing ever.... i don't know, it's all irrational :rolleyes:

dancingintherain

Try ginger tea :D may be horrible but helps sickness very quickly. The only remedy I can think of. I went through a constant feel of sickness straight on for two years probably because of depression and fear of personal problems. The doctor thought I had IBS maybe so but the problem completely disappeared as my life got better:)

dpr

hmm well, as for the actual sickness/anxiety, have you tried ginger root capsules? they work really well for nausea. but you could also try asking your doctor for a fast-acting anti-anxiety medication (like ativan) to calm you down for those times when you have nausea when you're outside. i take ativan for general anxiety, OCD, etc... and I find that just having the pills on me and carrying them around with me makes me feel better. just knowing that i have them with me reduces my anxiety significantly. I would stay away from benzos though (xanax, valium, etc) because they're really addictive.

also, what about deep breathing techniques or meditation? that wouldn't take away your fear of being sick but it could help you deal with the anxiety you feel when you're having an "episode" (for lack of a better word).