Father Issues

My dad drinks, is unhappy with his and my life. I'm sure most of you have heard this but he wanted me to go into the military as an officer. (Wanted me to go to Sandhurst). However I did not like the idea of possibly killing someone so I changed my career goal to be a conceptual artist in college, needless to say it didn't go down well with my family the whole family had expectations of military service from me because it was family tradition to be in the military.

After a few years of trying to chase my goal, there was too much stuff going on at home to concentrate. So I applied to be a Fireman and now I am one. My mother split up from my father, she died of alcohol poisoning and now my dad blames me for most things that are wrong.

Short life story over.

It's fathers day, I should ring him really.

Shant

I didn't know negatively influential fathers were this common. I suppose mine's not the worst, but I still prefer to have had only a mother...

Now I'm even moreso not wanting to be a father. It's so easy to screw up that job. >_>

sucettes

This is going to be very hard to write. I have a funny relationship with my father, I actually don't know him that well even though we live in the same house. I often think that it was a mistake of my parents to have me and one time when I was drunk I screamed at my mother that she should've had an abortion :confused: wooops... Anyway, I feel that my dad has always neglected me. Even from a very young age I have memories of it. He was gone a lot and when he was home he mostly watched TV. I loved my dad and I used to make him drawings and when he left I used to cry my eyes out. I remember that I made him a drawing once, he was watching TV and I gave it to him. He didn't even look at it and gave it back to me. It really hurt, I have no idea how old I was, but I know that it was under 5 years old because it was before we moved. I have lots of memories like this. Today I never know what to say to him. We don't talk to each other often and I feel very uncomfortable around him. A few years back when I refused going to school he would make me go anyway, even though I cried and said that it was horrible - literally he had to drag me into the car. He has also slapped me a few times, and he gets mad quite easily. Don't get me wrong though, the slaps hasn't been hard or anything, but it still hurts. I find it very hard to talk about him and I often feel very insecure and anxious around him. I hope this makes sense, so much emotions coming out here, it's hard to explain....

Last edited:

Danfalc

Banned
when some years ago i came up to this conclusion- he f***ed all my childhood and i shouldn't let that to be present in my future to ruin my life even more, i just had to go away forget it all, and when i met him again for this (hopefully last) time i was able to look at the situation through different angle. partly because i grew up and partly because the situation at home was not as close to me as it once was.

Sorry to pick out just this part of your post, but it just nails why I think it is the healthier way of dealing with it and still makes you the bigger person. By holding onto my anger about what happened, I'm still letting him win in a way because despite having no contact..it still affects me.

Maybe with time I will mature and be able to let it go, but I doubt it, it's one thing I doubt I will be able to swallow my pride over. It's not even about what he did to me any more, it's about what he did to my Mum and my sister.

But no your post wasn't a mess of emotions, it made perfect sense.

hoddesdon

I have some daddy issues. I love him to death, but he has never been good at expressing his feelings. We are more similar than either cares to admit. Neither of us want attention placed on us and a lot of the time say hurtful things when we are scared. He's said so many things that he probably doesn't remember that were said as a defense mechanism for himself that hurt me greatly. I think a lot of my fear of rejection stems from my relationship with him. But these past couple of years he has been trying and I have to give him credit. We are a work in progress, but I love him.

My father did the same when he was upset. I think he may, or may not, have had a mild version of social phobia. In the end it ends up harming the perpetrator too, so it is a good idea to try to break that particular vicious circle. The other person does not accept that it would be so difficult to hold your tongue; that is understandable. If you really can not do it, even though you should, telling the other person what is happening may help.

hoddesdon

A user who had a low profile on this site, so low that I can not remember his username, said that he was a doctor, and that part of the cause is when the father sides with the others. Judging from some of the stories here, I would say that is true, and my father did that on occasion too.

My father is my bully, my main bully... I was bullied since kindergarden and knowing that my father is my bully too drives me insane. When I was younger my parents were always scolding me for nonsense. If I sang outside or the way I dressed, my hair or if I wanted to wear a little lip stick for fun. Scolding me for being me so eventually I began to think everything I did was wrong or stupid. I stopped being me, I became very afraid *sigh*

Bittersweet

Sorry to say, but a lot of people simply should not become parents. They don't have the qualities it takes to raise healthy, well-adjusted children.

BlaiseBLATES

I can relate entirely to your father being a root of your SA.
My dad has schitzophrenia so I was bought up in an unstable environment. My dad would threaten me and it eventually led to my inability to leave the home I shared with just my mother in fear of seeing him and being hurt...
Parents play a huge role in our lives and are meant to be the people we can trust the most. Being let down by them, to our young selves, makes it appear we cannot trust the rest of society. This is what I believe anyways.

TaylorSwift'sHubby

Never had my real dad and all my step dads were epic fails. My current one now has managed to stay in with us after a rocky two years with my mother, (they almost got divorced and I know my mother isn't perfect, but he's done some seriously wrong things in the past). But after moving out for about 4 months, going to church, and counseling, and a few other steps toward self-betterment, he's moved back in with us, but there are still signs of his previous behavior so I don't know if it will work. It sucks because we had such a great relationship when he moved in with us, but his past actions tore our relationship apart and so now when we try to hang out, do father-son things, have conversations or even when in the same room with each other it’s just too awkward and uncomfortable and I get a bit anxious around him too (not the good kind of anxious). Clean up (repair) of our relationship seems nonexistent, but we're both trying. Anyway, not having a father (or a really good one) to help me reach young adulthood and teach me things as a man, and just be there for me is a HUGE contribution to my SA. Of course, my mother has done everything she could as a mother and even though she's struggled, we've made it through and she has done an excellent job raising me and my 3 younger siblings and I love her to death, probably more than she knows. With me being the oldest, I have to be an example and leader to my siblings to show them the right path of life and how to succeed and be wonderful people, but it's hard when I know that I'm really the man of the house and I have so much insecurity in areas that I really shouldn't. But I just can't help but think that things could and would been much better for me if I had a real father figure. I know that that's probably not true, but I can't help but to think that…

missjesss

Banned
Yes I can totally relate to this, my dad was extremely critical, judgmental and overprotective, plus not to mention when I got to high school I had to deal with bullying and my dad BIG NO NO

missjesss

Banned
Josette

THAT SOUNDS LIKE MY HOUSEHOLD, my brother is currently self medicating with drugs and I'm almost certain he has anxiety issues (he just doesn't know it yet) and my sister is an over achiever and highly sensitive to criticism and me well I am now somewhat avoidant :/ and my mum divorced my dad this year finally....she turned in2 a nervous wreck

How did your siblings turn out?? and ur mum?

there is no formula for being a good parent :\

i partly agree to what you say, but then there is that other part which says if there would be no anomalies everything would be just too boring. it hard for me to think of being raised by other ppl. it wouldn't be me, and no mater how hard the past was and it consequences on me now, i'm still proud of being different and having the opportunity to look at things not as most of the ppl i know do.

Perhaps you should live in a house with a bullying control freak, with no concept of treating children and adults differently, and thinking that physical punishment is the way to fix things, even for the most lenient offences.

Perhaps then you'll change your mind

NihilSlayer

My father is a swell chap, if not somewhat a bit too fond of his "drink" later in life. I had the opportunities to do whatever I wanted (though I almost never took advantage of them). I had no limits or boundries that weren't sensible and put in place for my protection growing up. My SA, however, did come from my father-- his genetic contribution to the admixture that is me. My family can trace this genetic proclivity to generalized anxiety and depression 3 generations back in the men on my father's side. Invariably, every man born has had depressive and anxiety issues. If I were to ever have spawn, I'm sure there is a great chance they would have the same issues I do also. It must just be a dominant gene that manifests itself in conjunction with normal environmental stimuli; because usually what shapes us is a combination of genetic/biological and environmental/psychological factors. So the way I see it, I was pretty much set up to be a depressed, anxious ball of raw nerves and futile, frothing emotion. Oddly enough, despite knowing this tendency for depression in my family, they never really talked about it nor sought to treat it in past generations. At first, for me, they just chalked it up to "shyness", and with a sympathetic look pushed me out the door to school. Luckily, I was privy to the psyche-duo of doctors a bit later in life, but this wasn't all that helpful, sadly. Part of this was the fault of the institution in general: there were immense waiting lists to see psychologists... I remember one day we went to a new doctor and they gave us some absurd length of time to wait before I'd be allowed to see the psyche-man-- I wouldn't be able to get an appointment for over 2 months or something, and this was one of the only places I could go because our insurance offered a very limited selection psychologists. Needless to say, my father ripped up the application in frustration and anger, throwing it on the ground, and scaring the crap out of the prosaic receptionist; then he trudged out of the office angrily cursing as I followed in his wake. I was in a bad way, and he knew intuitively all this could end very badly for me if something wasn't done soon, so I don't blame the fellow. Seems to me most psychologists around where I live are crap. And it isn't very easy to go about getting help always. I either had to wait for over two months, or lose my mind to such a degree I needed to be in special care. It has been years since I engaged with the system here-- but then it was atrocious-- and has since probably led to lots of people doing unfortunate things desperate to deal with their predicaments and disorders just because care is so hard to get. Maybe I fell through the cracks so to speak: not poor enough to get free government subsidized care, but without the money to pay for immediate high-quality care. Anyway... I have this inkling i've typed all this before in another post... I wonder how you guys keep from repeating yourselves over and over again. Can people really have that many unique thoughts and events to detail? shrug*

upndwn

Where to start about my father hmmm :cool:

Like NihilSlayer I come from a family with a history of depression, SA and bipolarity on both my mothers and fathers side. It seems I was destined to follow the family tradition so to speak, and I have ended up suffering from all these afflictions. While I have learned to live with my SA (for the most part), I still have huge issues with my self-esteem and bipolar disorder which is messing up everything in my life.

Now back to my father. My dad is not a bad man, quite on the contrary he's one of the kindest most harmless souls I know, but he has a history of alcohol and substance abuse since he was 12 years old, all stemming from his upbringing with abuse, both sexual and physical. When I was young I didn't understand why my father had different personalities. When he was sober he barely spoke and was kind and responsible, but when he drank he was gone for long periods, brought strangers to our house and neglected his parental duties as well as his work. Needless to say my mother couldn't live with this for long, so when I was seven my parents split up.

I got to visit my dad every other weekend and I far preferred to stay with him instead of my mother. While I was visiting dad there never was any rules. I could do whatever I wanted to and stay up for as long as I wished. It was when I was around 9 or 10 I started to notice my fathers peculiar behavior (later revealed to have come from drug abuse).

Usually i slept in the same bed as my dad, and one time I remember waking up and there was my dad peeing all over the nightstand. he would sometimes turn the electricity on and off without any reason and leave me and my sister alone for days at a time. He brought home all kinds of strange people, some of them violent.

At the age of twelve I had seen my dad been threatened with an axe, beaten to a pulp and visiting him in the hospital after he was almost stabbed to death. One time he disappeared for three months and no one knew were he was. My family called the police and filed a missing persons report. It was even on the front page of some of the bigger newspapers. Suddenly he returned as if nothing had happened. He had lived in Denmark for a while with some of his drug buddies.

After that I didn't see my dad for several months, my mother didn't allow me to. As I grew older i started to take advantage of my fathers substance abuse. I made him give me money in his drug-addled state. I stole alcohol and drugs for him and held wild parties with my friends, several who were much older than me.

I got in trouble with the police a couple of times, but at that time I didn't give a crap about anything. I would skip school to go visit my father and I generally did whatever I wanted to. i was in fact living a dual life. When I was with my mother I was a shy, outcast teenager with almost no friends, but when I was with my dad I was the coolest kid on the block. Hanging out with kids several years older than me and got a reputation for hosting the best parties in town.

When I turned 15, right after I had graduated from Junior high, I decided to move in with my dad full-time. My girlfriend lived in the next town where my father lived, and all my friends lived in the same town as my father. The next two years was spent partying and not much else. I tried to go to school for a while, but I ended up not going. This was when my SA started to kick in for real.

Most of my friends moved away or I just lost contact with them. I realized most of them wasn't real friends anyway, and they had just exploited me because of my access to alcohol and drugs. I rarely saw my girlfriend anymore because I shut myself in for the most part and got more and more reluctant to go outside.

When I was seventeen my mother had had enough of my frivolous behavior and recruited me to the army. I spent half-a-year in the Norwegian equivalent of the National guard, as far North in the country as you can get. During this period my dad had a heart attack, but the officers refused to let me go home to visit him even after several complaints. I was forced to sit there waiting for updates on my fathers health on the phone, very well knowing that he might die at any moment.

Due to some miracle my dad made it and the shock of almost dying made him quit drugs and alcohol all together. When i returned from the army, my father was a different man. For once I got to be with my real dad, and all was well for the next two years. Then one day my dad went out and didn't return before the next day, drunk and high he stumbled into my bedroom the next morning covered in blood. He had been in a fight and someone had hit him in the head with a hammer. I quickly put pressure on the wound to stop the bleeding and called an ambulance.This was the end of my fathers sober days, after that the situation would just continue in a downward spiral.

i lived with him for a short time thereafter, until i decided to move for myself. I got a job and an apartment, but even this didn't help my SA much, which had taken a turn for the worse after my fathers recession. During this period I didn't have much contact with my dad, even though we lived in the same town.

At some point my grandfather moved in with my dad. My grandfather was a cruel and violent man who had been beating the crap out of my dad when he was younger. He was also bipolar with extreme mania and OCD. My grandfather brought the most violent and criminal people in the entire county home to my dad, and his apartment became infamous as a gathering point for the worst scum in the city.

My fathers drug abuse took a turn for the worse. Up until now he hadn't done any hard drugs since he was a teenager, but my grandfather changed all that and soon my dad was shooting needles and smoking crack. It was around this point I lost my job and therefore also my apartment. I lived with friends for a while, but I soon overstayed my welcome and was forced to move back in with my dad and my grandad.

The following years was a nightmare I would rather forget. I was threatened daily with violence, and my grandad would sometimes come and beat me up for no reason. Luckily I somehow managed to get out of it and I moved in with some friends again. I got a new job and things actually started to look good again.

My grandads health suddenly took a turn for the worse. He suffered from alcohol induced dementia and could no longer take care of himself. He moved to his own apartment in the neighboring town, and while my dad still kept his old apartment he was rarely home, choosing to stay with my grandad, while he lent his apartment to any junkie that needed a place to stay. My grandad died within a year.

After this I briefly went to live with my dad, going back to the same hell as before. Now my dad has lost his old apartment. he has moved into the worst crack-house in town and gets beaten almost weekly. I still talk to him on the phone but I rarely visit anymore. After all the years of substance abuse and violence its a miracle he's still alive. I still love my dad, but he has, in some part, ruined my life.

Edit: Sorry for the wall of text

This is going to be very hard to write. I have a funny relationship with my father, I actually don't know him that well even though we live in the same house. I often think that it was a mistake of my parents to have me and one time when I was drunk I screamed at my mother that she should've had an abortion : wooops... Anyway, I feel that my dad has always neglected me. Even from a very young age I have memories of it. He was gone a lot and when he was home he mostly watched TV. I loved my dad and I used to make him drawings and when he left I used to cry my eyes out. I remember that I made him a drawing once, he was watching TV and I gave it to him. He didn't even look at it and gave it back to me. It really hurt, I have no idea how old I was, but I know that it was under 5 years old because it was before we moved. I have lots of memories like this. Today I never know what to say to him. We don't talk to each other often and I feel very uncomfortable around him. A few years back when I refused going to school he would make me go anyway, even though I cried and said that it was horrible - literally he had to drag me into the car. He has also slapped me a few times, and he gets mad quite easily. Don't get me wrong though, the slaps hasn't been hard or anything, but it still hurts. I find it very hard to talk about him and I often feel very insecure and anxious around him. I hope this makes sense, so much emotions coming out here, it's hard to explain....

Wow I feel sorry for you..:( I also got dragged in the car if I refused going to school, he even dragged me into the school, while I was crying and everyone was watching me go through hell. (anxiety) but his intention was to get me in school and not avoid it so i won't have troubles in the future. (Like I do experience now...)

I also don't have much quality time with my dad, I miss it sometimes.
He's not the type to ask me to go somewhere, he is not really spontanious, mum always comes with the ideas of going on holiday or go to a theme park or do something simple, going for a walk or what-so-ever.

He isn't good at expressing emotions too, he is afraid of showing emotions, tadaa where do i know this from? ::p: I have a lot of this, although i am not afraid of talking about it, but i'd rather not say i feel pain or scared or sad.
But the SA told me to be more honest about it, cuz I can't 'avoid' being scared if I have sa, but it's still hard to show my weaknesses in some situations.But I am a lot like my mother too, very sensetive when it comes to stuff. A combination of both sides.

Don't get me wrong, he is an amazing guy, he would never cheat on my mom and he is fighting to be at her side forever. and also us. (my bro and i).
He is working hard for money, and he loves music just like i do, he plays the guitar, we do have a lot of common interests :) , playing guitar, creating stuff in the garage, computer-stuff, science fiction movies, So I know I can ask him to watch a movie or play some guitar together.

sometimes I'm pissed because of him, but i'm glad he is my dad! :) lol

Last edited:
I did have father issues but I guess I'm mostly over it now. It did influence how I've viewed being a parent myself and I've put more effort into being a dad than anything else, nothing else is more important. I've never really liked working and having a "career" and I'm not much of a partner, but I'm a good-enough father; the kids and I talk and enjoy each others company. It just makes me very sad to read about the absent and abusive fathers that some people here have.