Fantasy vs. Reality

Iseesky

I think a lot of my problems with SA have to do with plunging myself into a fantasy world whenever things go wrong. Not even a fantasy world...But a future world. A world where I think about what my life could be like. My future husband, my future kids, my future home, job...etc. I dream about the future rather than living in the now. I'm sure it's a pretty common thing...Do you people tend to live in the future rather than the present?

The 'future' (or what I hope the future is like) is always so much better than the now and it keeps me from wanting to live when I'd rather dream. Thoughts?

Also...Just a little poll type thing to the people who read this. I'm curious...Is your significant other on the quiet side or loud side? Or...Somewhere in between? I feel like I'll never be able to live with a loud guy long term. I've heard that having a louder spouse will bring you out of your shell. But, I feel that in my case it's the opposite. I feel more comfortable around quiet people, and feel I can be myself and be more friendly.

oui

i picture my future so I can achieve it in my present. :D

I've never had a significant other, but I'd love a nice, quiet guy. I think there's some kind of stigma surrounding shy boys, but I wish there were more of them. Nothing is worse than some wannabe frat-boy, right? And as you said, I'd feel more comfortable. Loud people turn me off.

limetree

I spend more time thinking about future possibilities than living in the moment, but my real dreams are impossible unless I truly believe scientists and futurologists will someday invent real love, confidence and aptitude potions. :D

FOR REAL

Banned
fantasy world FOR REAL :)
normality just doesnt work for me.

"If you see the wonder of a fairy tale
You can take the future even if you fail"

people may laugh at that "cheesy" abba quote, but **** it, it works for me :)

Silvox Black

What you should attempt to do is reach those fantasies through your life. Strive to one day make those dreams a reality. Work hard and work well, and with the support of close companions, you shall succeed.

As for a spouse, you should partner with whatever you believe will be most compatible to your personality. If introversion is what you prefer, then go for that trait, and vice versa. Do not take those general statements of this or this shall bring you happiness for they do not apply to everyone. Go with what you truly believe to be right.

I live in a fantasy world and I hate it but there isn't really anything I can do about it. Except I guess, trying to remember that I live in a fantasy world. I don't know why but people always seem to define fantasy as being a good thing. An alternative reality where all of your dreams come true. This is not the case for me. Most of my fantasies are highly stressful and unpleasant and I am not able to control them. Of course, I have pleasant ones also, but they are less frequent. I would prefer it if my brain would just quit playing games and settle on reality.

fantasy world FOR REAL :)
normality just doesnt work for me.

"If you see the wonder of a fairy tale
You can take the future even if you fail"

people may laugh at that "cheesy" abba quote, but **** it, it works for me :)

I like the quote... It's good to have dreams. Just have to know where to draw the line between wishful thinking and dreams. Easier said than done though... I suppose one reason I'm learning to paint is so that I can paint the world I see in my mind... Where people are happy.

Krista

I think a lot of my problems with SA have to do with plunging myself into a fantasy world whenever things go wrong. Not even a fantasy world...But a future world. A world where I think about what my life could be like. My future husband, my future kids, my future home, job...etc. I dream about the future rather than living in the now. I'm sure it's a pretty common thing...Do you people tend to live in the future rather than the present?

The 'future' (or what I hope the future is like) is always so much better than the now and it keeps me from wanting to live when I'd rather dream. Thoughts?

Also...Just a little poll type thing to the people who read this. I'm curious...Is your significant other on the quiet side or loud side? Or...Somewhere in between? I feel like I'll never be able to live with a loud guy long term. I've heard that having a louder spouse will bring you out of your shell. But, I feel that in my case it's the opposite. I feel more comfortable around quiet people, and feel I can be myself and be more friendly.

I tend do to that sometimes. Dream about how things could be in my life rather than what I have right now but it's just remembering that you'll never get anywhere if you're always dreaming about it and not out there doing it.

dooby-duck

I think I'd be lost without the fantasy to escape to. I tried to cut back on it but didn't last that long.

Luke1993

Haha I do this all the time! I dream about my future life where I have a good job, a wife. Sometimes I have a son in my fantasies too. But not all the time.

Iseesky

Definitely was daydreaming throughout my college English class today. Boring lecture. :p

I like your thoughts on this everyone! Keep 'em coming!
To the person who is learning how to paint...That's awesome! You should post some!