Facial hair/beards

bcsr

Meh, I don't buy all those reasons. You can't wear a gas mask with a groomed beard? Really?

The truth is probably closer to what Lonely_guy says. It's an outdated thinking, that probably stems back from the sixties when beards were associated with hippies/rebellion and shaven with "good citizenry". And it is probably worsened by 9/11 and Islamic extremism.

I couldn't get a solid seal when I went in to have my mask fitted. :) My beard was very short and neatly groomed.

But yah, I do think it's more for appearance. They think it looks more professional to be clean shaven.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I haven't shaved since I started my new job a month and a half ago, and no one seems to care. In fact, I often get compliments on it, why I don't know it looks horrible but whatever ::p: A waiter there told me he would grow one out like me if he could, but doing so would cause him to get no tips. So in my works case, it's not the employers that prevent the employees from growing facial hair, but the customers.

coyote

Meh, I don't buy all those reasons. You can't wear a gas mask with a groomed beard? Really?

The truth is probably closer to what Lonely_guy says. It's an outdated thinking, that probably stems back from the sixties when beards were associated with hippies/rebellion and shaven with "good citizenry". And it is probably worsened by 9/11 and Islamic extremism.

I couldn't get a solid seal when I went in to have my mask fitted. :) My beard was very short and neatly groomed.

But yah, I do think it's more for appearance. They think it looks more professional to be clean shaven.

the gas mask thing is for real

but there is also some psychology to it

it has to do with uniformity - when you are wearing the uniform, you are no longer an individual, you are a symbolic representative of the organization and the things the organization stands for

if people were allowed the option of wearing a beard, there would be too much individualism and it would be distracting from the uniform (that's also why facial tattoos and piercings are forbidden)

Austie

It doesn't make sense to me. Here in Sweden it is very liberal and facial hair and tattoos and the like are not a problem. People here don't need to dress all that formally even when working office jobs. When I lived in England, I had a job working in a tax office and I had to wear a tie everyday. We all know that we can look smart without a tie, I guess you will just have to wait until your part of the world loses its old fashioned paradigms of what smartness is.

MigraineSky

It doesn't make sense to me. Here in Sweden it is very liberal and facial hair and tattoos and the like are not a problem. People here don't need to dress all that formally even when working office jobs. When I lived in England, I had a job working in a tax office and I had to wear a tie everyday. We all know that we can look smart without a tie, I guess you will just have to wait until your part of the world loses its old fashioned paradigms of what smartness is.

Can't not to agree with you, even if this thread isn't new! :) In the place where I live such attitude towards beards is smth like a nonsense :thumbdown: Of course I can understand that there is a certain dress-code for some workplaces, that formal clothes, no bright hair colours, piercing etc. but what's wrong with beards?
Personally I like beards, especially the Van Dyke type like on these examples 30 Refined Van Dyke Beard Styles - Timeless Beard Designs, I think that a clean and well trimmed beard always looks handsome and very masculine and in my opinion perfectly fits even the very formal dress-code :)
As I know in previous centuries a beard was smth like a dress-code itself and what we have now? Maybe you're really right and we just need to wait patiently for some changes in stereotypes for certain parts of world...:thinking: