exercise weight training?

smyth

hey indeepshit, well im no pro weight trainer but i kno that to get the toned look u want to be using lighter weights and doing more repetitions which will tone the muscles rather than building them. If u up the weights and lower the repetitions then u will start building muscle mass(which u dont want). also if u do cardio work such as rowing, running, or swimming this wud also be beneficial. cheers. Craig

Thelema

Smyth, I don't mean to sound like an ass, but none of that is true.

Women lack the testosterone (among other things) to build big muscles, no matter how they train. There is no such thing as "toning" or "shaping" a muscle.

I would suggest you join a gym. They even have some nice women only gyms.

If you don't want to join a gym there are a lot of good internet sites that will educate you on what to do.

Take it slow at first, educate yourself and you'll be addicted to it in no time

maggie

InDeepshit said:
Thanks for your replies. Thelema- i know the exercise and diet routine i would need to follow for my body type, but i'm hesitant about starting it in case i form muscular looking arms. I'm aiming to only build my back muscles and appear to have broader shoulders. I was hoping that someone with similar goals would share their own results after starting upper body weight training, but i don't think anyone wants to be posting up their pictures, or they don't care lol. I'll just give it a go and if i don't like the results, i'll stop.
hi InDeepshit..i've been working out for a few years, eat healthy, use the treadmill almost daily, and also used some weights. I've not developed big muscles..just look more healthy and toned :wink:

Thelema

InDeepshit said:
Thanks for your replies. Thelema- i know the exercise and diet routine i would need to follow for my body type, but i'm hesitant about starting it in case i form muscular looking arms. I'm aiming to only build my back muscles and appear to have broader shoulders. I was hoping that someone with similar goals would share their own results after starting upper body weight training, but i don't think anyone wants to be posting up their pictures, or they don't care lol. I'll just give it a go and if i don't like the results, i'll stop.

For broader shoulders you need to work the lateral head of your deltoid muscle (thats the side part on your arms). Lateral raises are the best exercise for this. For the back the best exercises are bent over rows and palms down chin ups.

You shouldn't just exercise a few muscles because that can make you look funny and make imbalances that can lead to injuries. (think about the guys that just work the upper body and have stick legs because they never work them)

Again, women can't get big and bulky and should actually workout just like the guys do.

I've been exercising for years now and have done tons of research on this stuff. I can answer with any questions you may have

smyth

thelema lol i dont want to sound like an ass now, but how can u say what i said isnt true? its basic weight training for any gender. anybody who goes to the gym knows this. if women cant build muscles why are their athletes such as kelly holmes who have a great toned body? its all about the right diet if u want to tone up eat plenty of protein and cut out the carbs, thats a simple rule aswell, but im sure ull tell me that isnt true now.

recluse

smyth said:
thelema lol i dont want to sound like an ass now, but how can u say what i said isnt true? its basic weight training for any gender. anybody who goes to the gym knows this. if women cant build muscles why are their athletes such as kelly holmes who have a great toned body? its all about the right diet if u want to tone up eat plenty of protein and cut out the carbs, thats a simple rule aswell, but im sure ull tell me that isnt true now.

Muscular women such as bodubuilders probably have a pair of balls and facial stubble.............Steroids!

smyth

lol i agree women bodybuilders take steroids no questions there. But women who train can shape their body ie. tone up and build small amounts of muscle. or else what is the point in women training? lol.

Thelema

smyth said:

Women can build muscle, but its a myth that women can grow big bulky muscles. This myth keeps women exercising in a way thats just spinning their wheels. Higher repetitions will build nil in the way of muscle. muscle "tone" is brought about by low body fat and not the way you exercise a muscle.

I never said women can't grow muscle, but women lack the things that allow men to build bigger muscles. The only exception to this rule is the one in a million genetic anomaly that allows some women to grow huge muscles and thats helped along with lots of steroids and other drugs.

A woman growing big muscles is like a woman growing a beard...it happens in a one in a million, but that doesn't mean every woman needs to worry about growing a beard

smyth

i never said shed build bulky muscles, i said muscle mass. u said muscle "tone" is brought about by low body fat and how do u get low body fat? wud that be by burning the fat off by training that part of the body? ie higher repeitions. i dont really want to argue with u but there was no need for u to say the advice i gave wasnt true.

Thelema

smyth said:
i never said shed build bulky muscles, i said muscle mass. u said muscle "tone" is brought about by low body fat and how do u get low body fat? wud that be by burning the fat off by training that part of the body? ie higher repeitions. i dont really want to argue with u but there was no need for u to say the advice i gave wasnt true.

But it isn't true. It is impossible to spot reduce fat off one particular spot on your body, unless you go to liposuction. Higher repetitions don't build muscle and are a waste of time. Anything above 15 and sometimes 20 won't do anything.

All these stupid myths that keep perpetuating keep people from any kind of actual productive exercise

I'm not arguing, I'm telling you the way things are and you're for some reason taking it like an attack on you

smyth

u keep putting words in my mouth. im saying higher repetitions will tone and firm the muscle! i never said it wud build it, once again i never said anything about doin that many reps? im talkin about 10-12 reps for the lighter weights and 4-5 for the higher weights. i have actually taken it personally yes, when somebody asked for advice and i went out of my way to try n give a little of what i kno and some1 just underminds me.

look at this. note the part on the second paragraph where it says Women who conduct weight training without the use of steroids get the firm and fit cellulite-free looking body that you see in most fitness/figure shows these days.

http://bodybuilding.about.com/od/womensfitnesstopics/a/womenmyths.htm

Thelema

smyth said:
u keep putting words in my mouth. im saying higher repetitions will tone and firm the muscle! i never said it wud build it, once again i never said anything about doin that many reps? im talkin about 10-12 reps for the lighter weights and 4-5 for the higher weights. i have actually taken it personally yes, when somebody asked for advice and i went out of my way to try n give a little of what i kno and some1 just underminds me.

look at this. note the part on the second paragraph where it says Women who conduct weight training without the use of steroids get the firm and fit cellulite-free looking body that you see in most fitness/figure shows these days.

http://bodybuilding.about.com/od/womensfitnesstopics/a/womenmyths.htm

You won't even listen to reason and go deeper and deeper trying to cover up the fact that you're wrong.

I've been working out for years now and have direct experience as well as hours and hours of research to back it up.

You try and change what you said from "high reps" when everyone knows that means 15 or more, not 10-12. You also have just refused to listen to anything I have written, and I'll go over it again...it is impossible to "tone" and "firm" "and "tighten" the muscles and spot reduce fat off of one part of your body. Period. Being lean has nothing to do with the muscles themselves, but the absence of fat covering the muscle.

You're obviously too emotionally fragile for a rational discussion on exercise, but I won't back down and let you tell people whats obviously wrong just to satisfy your ego

smyth

lol i think u need to get off ur high horse luv, once again putting words in my mouth, when did i say high reps????!!!! i said higher reps learn the difference!lol and saying i mean 15 reps or more when i just stated higher repetitions than 4-5 reps.

so let me get this straight then, say we take two women both the same size, lets say twins yer. one of these twins does a workout and does 4 sets of 10-12 reps or even higher maybe even 18-20 reps on each part of the body wtih 4 different techniques so that wud be 240 reps on one body part,shes working out every 3 days for lets say 2 years whilst the other twin does no sort of strenuous activity, you are telling me that they will have the same muscle definition and mass after 2 years? if this is true i appologise for giving my oppinion on the subject.

p.s about the emotional state, that may explain why im sat on this forum arguin with xena warrior princess.

Argamemnon

smyth said:
hey indeepshit, well im no pro weight trainer but i kno that to get the toned look u want to be using lighter weights and doing more repetitions which will tone the muscles rather than building them. If u up the weights and lower the repetitions then u will start building muscle mass(which u dont want). also if u do cardio work such as rowing, running, or swimming this wud also be beneficial. cheers. Craig
It's not that easy to build muscle mass, even if you use heavier weights. Especially for women it's not even an issue, unless they use steroids, lol. I love weight training; one of the few things I enjoy in life.

kyle

Banned
Having been an amateur athlete on the Junior National Team years ago, I will have to agree with Thelma. I trained 4 hours a day throughout high school, and trained alongside young women who would hit the gym 5 times a week, doing heavy weights, there is no way that a women can look like she is on the cover of a bodybuilding magazine without having some kind of testerone problem (rare), or steroids (very common in bodybuilding).

I was muscular, and worked out with women who were well toned, but I was far from being "big" and having serious muscle mass. The famous bodybuilders in the last 50 years (Schwartznegger, Haney, Yates, Columbo, Dickenson, Draper, Zane, etc.) were on massive amounts of steroids or HGH when they were at their peak, no exceptions. Even all the wrestlers on TV are on HGH now. You cannot look like someone like Bautista, Scott Steiner, or Goldberg without somekind of chemically enhannched substance.

smyth

lol of course steroids are needed to look like a pro body builder. why do people keep bringing that up? where have i mentioned a bodybuilder physique? muscle mass is muscle tissue it doesnt mean a large amount of muscle it can be a small amount of muscle , i never said shed gain alot of muscle mass i said shed gain muscle mass. lol i love it how ur all just making out its pointless for a woman to work out. and still i wud like an answer to my question. o i didnt add the twin who worked out wud be eating a high protein diet.