Ever feel like you're just there?

Like say you go to a party or a family get together, and it wouldn't make any difference if you were there or not. I feel that way when I go. Even just hanging out with my own sisters. I always think "why am I even here??" And the stuff people talk about is either sooo boring or i have nothing to contribute to the conversation. So I look even seem even MORE quiet.

mrb

i dont go to anything like partys or family get togethers anymore , im turning into a hermit , all my social stuff is at work , but yes i do know what you mean iv felt like that a few times at partys and stuff

Newtype

Like say you go to a party or a family get together, and it wouldn't make any difference if you were there or not. I feel that way when I go. Even just hanging out with my own sisters. I always think "why am I even here??" And the stuff people talk about is either sooo boring or i have nothing to contribute to the conversation. So I look even seem even MORE quiet.

Everything you wrote is true for me.

coyote

Yeah, whenever I get around my family, no one ever wants to hear what I have to say anyway. I'm forced to hear about all the glorious accomplishments of my siblings, but if someone asks me a question about myself, they suddenly change the conversation before I can even finish my sentence.

At least that's what it feels like to me.

I've isolated myself from them for some time now - but no one seems to try to contact me, so i guess they really don't mind.

Yeah, whenever I get around my family, no one ever wants to hear what I have to say anyway. I'm forced to hear about all the glorious accomplishments of my siblings, but if someone asks me a question about myself, they suddenly change the conversation before I can even finish my sentence.

At least that's what it feels like to me.

I've isolated myself from them for some time now - but no one seems to try to contact me, so i guess they really don't mind.

That sucks. I don't have anything to say most of the time because I have nothing in common with my family.

I've surprisingly been to alot of parties and clubs in an effort to be more social. The bad thing is, i found myself in a similar situation as yours a majority of the times i went out.

P.S. unless i had some drinks in me

I've surprisingly been to alot of parties and clubs in an effort to be more social. The bad thing is, i found myself in a similar situation as yours a majority of the times i went out.

Oh I would go nuts in a club! I'd have to be wasted off my arse to step foot in one.

Redskinsfan

That is exactly how I feel. But not only do I feel like what everybody is talking about is usually boring. I feel like I'm boring as well. ::(:

DeathMetal

Yeah, sounds just like me. At any family get together I would never talk to anyone, just end up watching TV or playing video games, and everyone would ignore me. My family doesn't even have get-togethers anymore though, so I guess that is good.

powerfulthoughts

I use to go to all of the family get-togethers when I was in my teens. I felt so utterly awful there, just sitting in the corner with one of my brothers trying to not seem like a total loser. It was just like everything else in my life. School, work, and family get-togethers were all the same for me.

So I have simply stopped going to the family things. They are pointless for me, and I don't know anyone other than their name and the same for them to me. So, why suffer when I just hate it.

Vences

haha, sounds like what I do all the time. I usually go for the music and the drugs.

recluse

Well i don't get invited o'r anything as i have no friends anyhow but i know what you mean. I feel i don't contribute so i just feel like a statue.

TheManWhoUpholdsHonour

I feel that way at school sometimes.Mostly when we're on break,that first day I practicly just sat there,no one to talk to,nowhere to go to because they only allow you in certain areas and those areas are filled with people.I could imagine talking with someone in public but only on an aesthetic level.Like I could act interested but I guess that's related to me not being able to do such things as holding hands in public.I just can't take the heat so I shut down.

xxaimsxx

Yeah lots of times. I just drift into my own little dream world most of the time.
I remember ages ago i wished i were invisible and i guess i've gotten my wish. ::(:

garry29

When I'm around people I feel like I'm less real than when I'm by myself. I have a tendency to subconsciously project my thoughts and feelings onto other people so it feels like I'm talking to my double self. I really wish I didn't do this but I can't help it.

awkwardamanda

Yup. Sure do. I don't go to bars or house parties at all. But when I have some sort of family party or other social function to go to, I just feel so out of place. I'll often just sit there quietly, gazing around, trying not to look at anyone too long so they don't try to talk to me. I'm no good at making conversation and I often just figure people will ask about things I don't wanna talk about. So I just sit there feeling awkward and wondering "Why the hell am I here?" There have been times I've snuck off to kill time in the bathroom just to get away from everybody. Sometimes I just needed a moment alone so I could cry.::(: