Emo Stereotypes.

Nack

Banned
So... According to typical american stereotypes emos are emotional right? So does that mean we're all emos? cept we dont dress like emos, or w/e i don't know this is getting confusing, are we suppose to dress like them? lol; why...nvm, crazy kids these days; them and their trends...

I cannot stand that "emo" label, and how every teenager/young adult seems to use it when someone experiences an emotion. I'm very emotional, especially for a guy. I'm androgynous when it comes to how I feel for things. For me, it's arguably one of my best qualities, and something that I'm very proud of.

No caveman here.

Krista

I think it started out as that but that's really not what "emo" is used for now. I always say that The Cure and Kurt Cobain were really the first emo trendsetters..eye liner and feelings. But really now it's just a reason for kids to dye their hair black and wear jeans tighter than their skin, or that's how I see it. I mean no offense to those who like the look.

Nack

Banned
I think it started out as that but that's really not what "emo" is used for now. I always say that The Cure and Kurt Cobain were really the first emo trendsetters..eye liner and feelings. But really now it's just a reason for kids to dye their hair black and wear jeans tighter than their skin, or that's how I see it. I mean no offense to those who like the look.

Yea no Krista, I totally agree. The term "emo" nowadays seems to turned into a fashion statement, its really not about feelings emotional at all anymore ( at least I think...) But I still don't get the wrist cutting that seemed to go with it. Its absurd... no offense to all the emo fashioneers out there, lol.

I personally don;t like emos.. cuz if u want to suffer and to be left alone, u will not draw that much attention to urself.. the real sufferers are like us.. and have u ever seen an emo adult? no, cuz it;s plain ridicilous..

Krista

I personally don;t like emos.. cuz if u want to suffer and to be left alone, u will not draw that much attention to urself.. the real sufferers are like us.. and have u ever seen an emo adult? no, cuz it;s plain ridicilous..

Yea no Krista, I totally agree. The term "emo" nowadays seems to turned into a fashion statement, its really not about feelings emotional at all anymore ( at least I think...) But I still don't get the wrist cutting that seemed to go with it. Its absurd... no offense to all the emo fashioneers out there, lol.

Pretty much, it's more a ploy for attention. The looks and outfits, that is. They get more outrageous because they're looking for shock value but after awhile it's more about what we haven't seen. Come up with something that wasn't started in the '80's and I'll be impressed with you. I don't understand the concept of striving for "difference" if you all look the exact same? Lemmings have limited brain span. You say jump and it's a suicide mission..

Flowers-Of-Bloom

Depression is a (serious) mental illness. "Emo" (as it is today) is the idea that having depression is hip, and craving attention for it. Most of the time these "Emo" individuals do not actually have depression, or problems with self-harm. Because if they did, they might realise that it's extremely unpleasant and not something to... "brag" about at all. All based on my opinion and view point.

Tight jeans on men is very hot though. The Cure is one of my favourite bands... music, art, depth and emotional expression is wonderful but pity parties... are not.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Emos are those kids who dress weird and think depression and self harm is "cool". Most ignorant people now label everything that is not as happy as them as "emo". Everyone who self harms is an "emo". Anyone who wears black is "emo". It makes me sick. You have no idea of how many times I've been asked if I'm an emo, only because of my clothes, because I wear black. And of course, if you already were labeled as such thing and you are depressed one day, you will never be taken seriously, it's a fact. And if you self harm, forget about being helped, it will probably reinforce that label.

^That's not necessarily true, I self-harm and am not labeled an emo by anyone I know.

I don't much care about it anymore, it used to bother me but now I figure there are bigger things in life to be upset about.

Krista

Depression is a (serious) mental illness. "Emo" (as it is today) is the idea that having depression is hip, and craving attention for it. Most of the time these "Emo" individuals do not actually have depression, or problems with self-harm. Because if they did, they might realise that it's extremely unpleasant and not something to... "brag" about at all. All based on my opinion and view point.

Tight jeans on men is very hot though. The Cure is one of my favourite bands... music, art, depth and emotional expression is wonderful but pity parties... are not.

Oh no, I do actually like The Cure and Kurt Cobain for that matter. I do not care for girls and boys who use that term as some kind of fashion statement though. If you're going around preaching to people that you cut your arms, I'm not impressed with you, you need help of a different kind. It's called being an attention whore..at least that's what I said to the kids at my school ::eek::

philly2bits

I always thought it was just another teenage trend. Another way for teenagers to express themselves or seek attention. It basically seems like they are trying to act depressed in some way, but since never having experienced real depression they "make up" what it's like. Thats not to say all of them are not depressed, but in my experience most people try to hide depression rather then advertise it.

zlench

So if your an EMO and dress in black all the you must self harm and have depression. Most people who do that actually hide it and make sure people don't know about it. Some people have really narrow minds when it comes to sterotyping people and how they fit into society.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
^That's not necessarily true, I self-harm and am not labeled an emo by anyone I know

Well, probably those people are more understanding, more intelligent :) In my case, the people who make such comments are the ignorant, careless ones. The kind of people I wouldn't spend my time with, even if they were the last humans in the planet.