'Ello! Looking to meet new people

xiani

Hello guys, I'm Ani! I'm 18, from the UK and thought I'd give this forum a go as I do feel quite lonely (especially now that I've just started uni). Well, as it goes is I've just recently started University and love the course I'm doing, but the socializing part of it is killing me. I felt quite alone in the area, as many of my friends have gone off and started making new friendships, and I feel quite ashamed telling them how it's going for me. I'm not the socializing type, as I am extremely shy and find it hard to act myself around new people.

Anyways, thought I'd try making some new friends here! It'd be great to get to know people who may be in a similar situation to me :)

Louco

Hello, welcome.

I've been there. You know, my SA was pretty bad (still is actually) to the point I would miss class once or twice every week, and even I managed to make some friends and do some crazy stuff with them at the time. :p

If I could give some advice now to myself back in the day, I would tell young me to actually focus on learning and letting things with the classmates flow naturally. The anxiety and expectations regarding making friends and having a girlfriend actually got in the way of my grades...

xiani

Hi Xiani! Welcome to SPW. :)

Hello! And thank you :)

Hello, welcome.

I've been there. You know, my SA was pretty bad (still is actually) to the point I would miss class once or twice every week, and even I managed to make some friends and do some crazy stuff with them at the time. :p

If I could give some advice now to myself back in the day, I would tell young me to actually focus on learning and letting things with the classmates flow naturally. The anxiety and expectations regarding making friends and having a girlfriend actually got in the way of my grades...

Hello, and thank you for the advice. I suppose focusing on my education is better than fixating on how terrible I am at socializing. However, I'm glad it worked out, and it does give me optimisim for making friends later on, as I am in the early stages of uni life.

And I know what you mean on skipping class, I skipped months of my sixth form years!

Nice to meet you!

theone723

Just want to say that this site and alot of people here on this site helped and understood when others didn't. I hope you will have a great experience here too

Auburn

Hiya! Welcome to the forum. It's really friendly and warm here.
Oh hey I'm 18 too! I just started college (a little late but none the less aha) and I'm finding it a little difficult to make some friends, it always takes me a while to be able to be myself around new people too so I can completely relate. Feel free to send me a message anytime!

xiani

Just want to say that this site and alot of people here on this site helped and understood when others didn't. I hope you will have a great experience here too

Hello! And thank you. From what I see it does look like it, which is a great comfort :)

Hiya! Welcome to the forum. It's really friendly and warm here.
Oh hey I'm 18 too! I just started college (a little late but none the less aha) and I'm finding it a little difficult to make some friends, it always takes me a while to be able to be myself around new people too so I can completely relate. Feel free to send me a message anytime!

Hi! And yeah, it can be really gut wrenching trying to get to know people at first. You don't how much of a relief it is to know I'm not alone in feeling isolated *phew*. However, I hope everything goes well for you in college! :)

Marc7

I find it difficult to make friends as well in person and online and I can relate to not having many or no friends.

xiani

I find it difficult to make friends as well in person and online and I can relate to not having many or no friends.

I'm in a similar position as you. It can be painful to even try keeping a conversation going let alone starting one.

Marc7

I'm in a similar position as you. It can be painful to even try keeping a conversation going let alone starting one.

Yea for me it is very hard to start a conversation and keep on going too. Do you have any friends, because I remember you saying you had friends?

Last edited:

Lizardo

Hi Xiani, I'm new here and I am also looking for friends who got Social Phobia. I am a 24 year old male from The Netherlands but I visit the UK some time to time. Maybe we can talk a bit?

xiani

Yea for me it is very hard to start a conversation and keep on going too. Do you have any friends, because I remember you saying you had friends?

I do have people I can call friends, but they've all gone and made new ones (which, don't get me wrong, I'm both proud and happy for them). I rarely talk to them, so it's hard for me to go to them and ask if they wanna hang out, because they're all so busy.

Hi Xiani, I'm new here and I am also looking for friends who got Social Phobia. I am a 24 year old male from The Netherlands but I visit the UK some time to time. Maybe we can talk a bit?

Hello, and sure, you can message me in private.

Marc7

I do have people I can call friends, but they've all gone and made new ones (which, don't get me wrong, I'm both proud and happy for them). I rarely talk to them, so it's hard for me to go to them and ask if they wanna hang out, because they're all so busy.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe you can make friends at your university or here :). Can we talk?

Last edited:

xiani

Sorry to hear that. Maybe you can make friends at your university or here :). Can we talk?

I apologise for the late reply. And of course we can!

QUOTE=Gunther;851457]Welcome xiani :)[/QUOTE]

Hello Gunther and thank you! :)

Xervello

Hi, Ani! Welcome to the forum. Hope you can find what you're looking for here. A lot of interesting people, just takes a bit of time and effort to find. Best of luck to you! :)