Eckhart Tolle

NickyNacker

Has anyone here read anything by Eckhart Tolle? A couple people suggested that I read "The Power of Now" but I never listened. I've been suggested tons of stuff that I didn't think would work in the past (or I tried it and it really didn't) so I paid it no mind when people suggested him and his book. But then the other day I randomly googled "celebs with anxiety" and came across an article where Ashley Judd was talking about her struggle with depression and anxiety and when she was describing her experience, it sounded so much like me and how I feel. And she went on to say that reading his book is one thing that really helped her recover. So I downloaded it last night and read the first few pages. The first few alone seemed to open my eyes and make me see things in a different way. Then I skimmed through a huge portion of the book reading random passages and I can't wait to read the entire thing.

So yeah, just wondering, has anyone here read his work? What did you think?

Waybuloo

Yes I read a part of The Power of Now. I agree with the idea of mindfulness, of being in touch with reality and what's important to you, rather than giving importance to anxieties and such. However, while I am able to grasp the ideas and 'see sense' intellectually, I fear that my hardwiring has done a lot to create an anxious subconscioius mind. So even if I understand how to be better, it won't happen unless it changes subconsciously.

Have you changed your thinking after reading the book?

Also judging by the lack of replies I would say that this is maybe a bit too new age for most people...

nicole1

Yes I read a part of The Power of Now. I agree with the idea of mindfulness, of being in touch with reality and what's important to you, rather than giving importance to anxieties and such. However, while I am able to grasp the ideas and 'see sense' intellectually, I fear that my hardwiring has done a lot to create an anxious subconscioius mind. So even if I understand how to be better, it won't happen unless it changes subconsciously.

Have you changed your thinking after reading the book?

Also judging by the lack of replies I would say that this is maybe a bit too new age for most people...

You make tons of sense. I do feel that I can understand it...but it won't fix me.

I will check out the book. But I don't give much credit to people that give me advice anymore. And I've sought out tons, even from psychologists and psychiatrists....

sullyS25

Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now" helped me grow so much and I am very thankful for the person that recommended that book to me. Perhaps it doesn't help everyone and I realize that completely but going into a book or anything that has been recommended to help with an attitude of complete hopelesness will surely result in it not helping. When I have the belief that "this will not help me", I have already made up my mind about it and will make my beliefs come true.
Either way it is a very good read for anyone and I would recommend it to anyone as well

I love this book, I'm still reading it, and it's really inspiring, it opened my eyes.
It's all about the ''NOW'', taking each moment as a challenge and as a joyful presence, it's good to just look around you and be quiet in mind and enjoy what you see, it takes you away from all the busy living around you, everyone is busy in this world, everyone lives in their own world, everybody does, but if you feel this feeling of living in the now, it really makes you feel wonderful, it makes you enjoy every moment even more, and take life the way it is, and feel accepted because you are worth it, this book is a wonderful insight on life, It makes your day even better, when you feel this way ^^, so this is real mind fulness, and maybe it's a lil new age, bcuz it takes your concious and subconcious to a different dimension. it's really POWERFUL ;)