Driving: Does It Help Relieve Your Anxiety Or Increase It?

Reduces my anxiety, certainly. I especially love running over the occassional pedestrian for bonus points.
^ :giggle: :applause:

Driving always increases my anxiety because I am worried that another driver will crash into my car.

Therefore I will have to either exchange insurance, names etc with a complete stranger, or end up in Hospital which I find almost unbearably torturous, surrounded my strangers!

No matter how careful you are driving yourself, you have no control over all of the other drivers that could crash into your car from simple inattention or being drunk.

So I think of driving as a potential way to end up in Hospital, because you have no control over what other drivers do. :eek:

Depends on the country, in the country where I am from it's a real nightmare, people jaywalking in all impunity in front of policemen, small roads, people walking on the road instead of the pavement in addition to being usually offended when you honk at them, cars parking wherever they want, oh yeah... and lack of parking lots, and traffic jams to top it off.... driving is all but soothing to me.

This happened in my country : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUMRqwIhe3E , the title translates to "Car running into a policeman on purpose in Algeria"

Last edited:
drive

Driving gives me anxiety, I don't exactly like driving. It gives me so much to worry about, and I am always worried about being able to keep my ADD in check and pay attention. Having a car definitely helps with my anxiety though, because it gives me the ability to see people and go places on my own time. It can be stressful when people want me to drive them around though, because that's not what I want a car for. I wish I enjoyed driving more because it does not relax me. I'm so happy to have my car back though, it sucks to feel stuck in one place.

SilentAndShy

Oh, definitely for me it increases my anxiety. This might explain some of my history.

My relationship with driving has been on/off for a many years: I take my own faults with that because at times I did drive, I let my anxiety take over and didn't continue to build my experience but the age of 30, I still rely on public transport that lives me open for the butt of the jokes from so-called cousins of mine but I try to ignore them.

I'm trying to take some refresher lessons and try to speed up my knowledge on cars as I have no idea on how they work, how to buy one or maintain it which doesn't help my anxiety!