dream job & HH is ruining it!!

beckiboo

Ive just started a new job at a vets, I love animals and its the perfect job for me, although, it would be SO much easier to settle in without my HH. Firstly, the job interview was total cringe..I had to shake hands-twice-but I still got the job, thankfully :)
Now as im settling in, im sure the 3 girls I work with must have noticed my HH. We all sit behind a big long desk with 3 computers at it. Its nearly impossible to hide my hands when im writing on paper or on the computer or on the phone, and when I first started I had to sit right ehind them and they would all swing round and face me, really close! and I had nowhere to hide!!! not to mention all the handshakes when I started!!! :(
Its pissing me off cuz im not going to just give up and not do it because I know this is the job for me but why does HH have to make this so much harder than it has to be?? I hope they dont think im a freak and laugh, they seem nice and I have a laugh with them. Im wondering if I should tell them so they understand why I act so strange, i.e wipe the phone after using it lol! ;)
any thoughts on this would be cool as I feel pretty alone right now :(

Mr_Drips

If I were you, I wouldn't tell them. I don't think they would quite understand and it might make things awkward. If you feel it's what you should do, and that it would make things easier, then do it, but like I said, if I was in your situation, I wouldn't. Have you considered using something to temporarily take care of the sweating as you're working? Robinul , drysol, or iontophoresis, etc? It could help, and a tiny bit of dryness is better than being 100% wet, right?

Uber Schnitzel

I probably wouldn't tell them unless they actually "catch" you and directly ask you about it. Another possibility is to pretend that you're quite fussy about germs etc and that you always wipe the phone/keyboard out of habit. Still not ideal and it's lying but what can you do! :)
If you do tell them though I'd use phrases like "sympathetic nervous system disorder" and mention that most peoples bodies regulate their reaction to temperature automatically whereas yours is erratic. I think people would tend to take you more seriously this way, rather than just saying "my hands sweat" and having people jump to their own conclusions such as you don't wash (hey it happens). This is the way I've explained it to girlfriends in the past and they were cool about it....of course they were in love with me at the time which may have influenced them ::p: but I'm hoping people in general would understand. Good luck! :)

G

generic230

Definitely say something. I don't understand in this day and age why anyone would react negatively to a physical reaction you can't control. This would be like telling people not to reveal they have diabetes. By not telling, you will raise suspicions about your behavior to avoid contact, or to hide your condition. These behaviors will be what makes you an outcast because people will try to fill in blanks. Why let people's minds run wild about any behavior you have around trying to hide your condition?

I'm a boss, and if one of my employees came to me and told me this, I would have nothing but compassion and say, "Is there anything we could do to help you with this when you're at work?"

I'm genuinely mystified at the "don't tell" advice.

beckiboo

Sound thoughts there, thankyou! I might leave it a bit longer before outing myself, ive started using Driclor roll-on on my hands and also ive started iontophoresis again, maybe I will get some relief just to make it a bit more bearable for now. And my workmates might put it down to 'new job nerves' lol

hinder87

try not to worry about it. dont let hh keep you from achieving ur dreams. as for ur co-workers, they probably were as nervous as u lol. at least from now on u wont have to shake their hands.

Flatcap

It's taken me a while to think like this but now I just tell people and if they don't like it they can sod off! I've spent years being paranoid and worrying, which just makes matters worse.

Be strong, don't let it get you down and tell them. If they have half an ounce of decency in them they will understand. If they don't understand and laugh then they're not people you want as friends!

Darren.

Piglet Boy

Everyone has their toughest month at the new job. Just try to hide it. Relax and just give it your best.

I remember those days myself. My voice would crack and I would be in total panic.

Soy Sauce

You say you've started ionto treatments again. Why did you stop? Were you not having success with it?

I think I've stated this in a couple other threads, but I think alot of people get discouraged too quickly when they don't see results, and quit the treatments. You have to be diligent and have discipline to give yourself the best chance of success with iontophoresis. I know it can be a pain and a hassle, but in the end, I think it'll be worthwhile for most people. It took me over 9 hrs of consistent treatments before I saw results my first time around using ionto. Good luck :)

beckiboo

ive been doing loads of ionto and ive got to a comfortable state of dryness..my left hand is much dryer than my right..seems to always happen lol! so at least that takes some pressure off and I can be myself..im settling in ok now I think :)

ive also told my closest collegues about my HH. It helps as we work in a medical environment..so they are totaly understanding its a medical conditon..
how did it happen?! well I didnt just blurt it out or anything lol..one of the girls Gemma is lactose/wheat everything intolerant..she cant eat a goddam thing, bless er! and she was complaining how she was a freak and I said I was a freak too as my body's sympathetic nervous system is in total overdrive lol! they asked what was wrong and I said its called HH and explained what it was and they asked if anything could be done...so I explained all the treatments and about ETS (which they didnt like the sound of lol!) and they even said they never noticed and I must be quite good at hiding it..well I have had 13 years of making up ways lol!

worrywort

Definitely say something. I don't understand in this day and age why anyone would react negatively to a physical reaction you can't control. This would be like telling people not to reveal they have diabetes. By not telling, you will raise suspicions about your behavior to avoid contact, or to hide your condition. These behaviors will be what makes you an outcast because people will try to fill in blanks. Why let people's minds run wild about any behavior you have around trying to hide your condition?

I'm a boss, and if one of my employees came to me and told me this, I would have nothing but compassion and say, "Is there anything we could do to help you with this when you're at work?"

I'm genuinely mystified at the "don't tell" advice.

I was gonna say exactly the same thing, so I'll just say "ditto". I know it'd be really hard to tell people about it but if the opportunity arises to mention it I'd definitely take it.

beckiboo said:
ive also told my closest collegues about my HH. It helps as we work in a medical environment..so they are totaly understanding its a medical conditon..
how did it happen?! well I didnt just blurt it out or anything lol..one of the girls Gemma is lactose/wheat everything intolerant..she cant eat a goddam thing, bless er! and she was complaining how she was a freak and I said I was a freak too as my body's sympathetic nervous system is in total overdrive lol! they asked what was wrong and I said its called HH and explained what it was and they asked if anything could be done...so I explained all the treatments and about ETS (which they didnt like the sound of lol!) and they even said they never noticed and I must be quite good at hiding it..well I have had 13 years of making up ways lol!

awesome! sounds like you handled that perfectly! I'm impressed! :)

I completed understand how you feel... I used to have a great job as a waitress but my anxiety because of my HH caused me to quit & starting working as a dishwasher. (I'm sure that all makes sense to the people who know what I'm going through..) Just wanted to let you know you're not alone! Oh, & maybe you could tell me more about this iontophoresis? It's something I've never tried... In fact, I've never actually been 'diagnosed' with HH seeing as I'm too embarrassed to even tell a doctor about it.