Don't judge...!

hardy

Before judging others, always remember this :

“If their past was your past, their pain your pain,
their level of consciousness your level of consciousness,
you would think and act exactly as they do.
With this realization comes forgiveness, compassion, peace.
The ego doesn't like to hear this,
because if it cannot be reactive and righteous anymore,
it will lose strength.”

― Eckhart Tolle, Stillness Speaks

hardy

Good question...Maybe not... cause I still might have a big ego...but this knowledge helps me in forgiving myself little
for all the mistakes I made , maybe one day I will forgive others too ! regret , guilt, remorse( revenge) lead to unhappy states of mind.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Good question...Maybe not... cause I still might have a big ego..

So your saying if someone murdered my wife/husband that if I don't forgive them, that means I have a big ego?....

That's rubbish if I've ever heard it.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I think it is just the idea that everything we do and that we are is contingent off of every event that has lead to that point. It's an idea that is more rooted in psychology than spirituality if you were to ask a behaviorist. There is debate whether or not it is actually the case, but the argument is that you could take a baby, and by controlling every variable of their life, you could dictate every choice, feeling, or thought that person has. It was B.F. Skinner, a major voice in the field of behaviorism who said "Give me a child and I'll shape him into anything"

He also said "I did not direct my life. I didn't design it. I never made decisions. Things always came up and made them for me. That's what life is."

The philosophy comes in when asking if you can truly hold anyone accountable for any of their actions if much of what made them act in the way they did actually had nothing to do with them, but rather the way the world unfolded around them.

Personally, I'd like to think life is a little more complicated than that. But I definitely see some truth to it. I think the world around us has a major impact on the people we are and are to become. It's something I try to keep in mind when I choose how to live my life and what influences to allow into it.

Last edited:

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
As VJ said this theory implies that we are not responsable for our actions and I'm not sure at all that I can ever agree with that

In fact if you need to believe this to forgive and feel compassion, there is something important missing there isn't it

lily

i agree, it's best not to judge, if you were brought up the way someone else was, you might be the one acting like they do.