doing nothing?

philly2bits

I suppose it's a stretch to say it's all SA related but find myself doing nothing at all most days. My time is filled up with escaping from life rather than living it. TV, the computer, video games take most my waking hours. I sometimes go out to buy some fast food or a sandwich. When I grow bored of TV and the like I with do some chores to pass the time. But that is all life feels like anymore. Just passing time. No learning or growing or trying to accomplish anything, just wasting time until I'm tired enough to fall asleep. And everyday (mostly in the afternoon) I wake up, I wish I was still sleeping. So I waste time until I sleep again.

What has happened to me? How did I let it get this bad?

Silatuyok

Sounds like you are suffering the effects of depression. I went my entire freshman year at college pretty much just sleeping, playing computer games, and going to as few classes as I possibly could to get by. Perhaps you need a change of scenery, if at all possible. Or maybe you just need to hang in there until it passes. The fact that you recognize something is wrong tells me that not all hope is lost.

MikeyC

Sounds like you are suffering the effects of depression. I went my entire freshman year at college pretty much just sleeping, playing computer games, and going to as few classes as I possibly could to get by. Perhaps you need a change of scenery, if at all possible. Or maybe you just need to hang in there until it passes. The fact that you recognize something is wrong tells me that not all hope is lost.
Great post and I agree with it. Definitely sounds like depression. If there's anyone you can talk to about it, I would consider that before it gets worse.

You didn't let it get this bad.
when I was a kid here in Britain the television used to turn off in the afternoon because the tv bosses knew people still had things to do in the afternoon.like work or chores.
Society was given a "me time".
Sports highlights were tv gold,and the main reason to watch them was so you could relive actually going to the event.
When the kids tv time (only an hour long in my area) ran out of programs they used to instead show pictures of flowers and sometimes if we were lucky a Prince video.
It's not you,it's the garbage box propping up the corner of your room,or a whole adjacent wall if you have a giant **** off flatscreen for your troubles.
Plus our world has become more full of territorial gangs,security guard gangs,don't go here signs,don't go there signs and fences to make sure we don't.
Sunday doesn't even exist anymore.
The closest thing to that old Sunday feeling is the feeling you get from Thursdays on the internet.
**** is ****ed up my man.They jumbled up our routines,took away our expectations,replaced our healthy food with yellow fat inducing lard hits and then gave us a media that told us we were bums for tuning in to watch it because there was nothing else to do.
Gah!
It's not depression,it's modern living.
Mucho modern living.

Last edited:

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Things get bad over time, you've been struggling for a while and it all builds up. It you let depression sit it gets worse and worse, which is hard not to do when you are depressed.

I've been depressed before, but I'd be lying if I said I know what you're going through. I wish I knew how to tell you how to get back on that horse and ride like the knight in your avatar but I don't (sorry if that was corny).

I don't know if you're on meds, but that is an option. And I'm sure you've googled "depression" and other keywords similar on google hundreds of times already looking for ways to feel better, and any advice I have won't be any better than what you find there.

Hang in there philly, snap out of it soon.

Silatuyok

You didn't let it get this bad.
when I was a kid here in Britain the television used to turn off in the afternoon because the tv bosses knew people still had things to do in the afternoon.like work or chores.
Society was given a "me time".
Sports highlights were tv gold,and the main reason to watch them was so you could relive actually going to the event.
When the kids tv time (only an hour long in my area) ran out of programs they used to instead show pictures of flowers and sometimes if we were lucky a Prince video.
It's not you,it's the garbage box propping up the corner of your room,or a whole adjacent wall if you have a giant **** off flatscreen for your troubles.
Plus our world has become more full of territorial gangs,security guard gangs,don't go here signs,don't go there signs and fences to make sure we don't.
Sunday doesn't even exist anymore.
The closest thing to that old Sunday feeling is the feeling you get from Thursdays on the internet.
**** is ****ed up my man.They jumbled up our routines,took away our expectations,replaced our healthy food with yellow fat inducing lard hits and then gave us a media that told us we were bums for tuning in to watch it because there was nothing else to do.
Gah!
It's not depression,it's modern living.
Mucho modern living.

Haha. I have to give this a thumbs up. I hate television.

da_illest101

I have been doing nothing for so long that it actually became something :D

If you are bored try to stop what you are doing and look for something else.

-lonestar-

Yeah I'd say its life in general, especially if you don't feel comfortable being around others what are you gonna do right. You gotta amuse yourself somehow. Just don't le it get you down, don't enter a drepressive state and go for walks, watch educational shows every now and then, read and fill your mind.

Its norman, don't beat yourself up about it, its not like those people talking and planing their weekend are better off, they are wasting money and doind basically the same thing, finding ways to amuse themselves. Everyone is different, heck some people enjoy working more than having fun. Atleast thats my take on life.