Does this make me a sadist?

zharl

I can't really explain it, but sometimes I feel the impulse to respond to threads that are titled with a question with what is probably the worst possible answer before reading the thread.

For instance:

"Has anyone ever..."

Answer: Nope. Just you.

"Did I do the wrong thing when..."

Answer: Yes

"Will I ever find love..."

Answer: No.

In my mind, the things sound sarcastic and are me joking, but I know that it wouldn't be perceived that way. Responding in this way to posts that are posing genuine dilemmas and are seeking guidance, comrade, etc. would be cruel and tasteless. As such I never act on these impulses.

Nevertheless, I still occasionally chuckle with myself at the notion and do get some thrill out of thoughts along the lines of "What if I did say that? or "What would happen if I did post intentionally unhelpful, potentially devastating answers?"

Am I a closeted troll or something?

Also props to you if you respond to this with intentionally unhelpful, silly answers. :D

GraybeardGhost

Yes, you are a cruel, sadistic, inhuman troll. Congratulations! :thumbup: Join the club! :brindis:

Having occasional impulses like this doesn't make you a monster. I have them too, and I generally consider myself a pretty nice guy (when I'm in my better moods). What matters is that you recognize the inherent cruelty of such answers and their potential effects—effects which on a forum like this, with so many of us teetering on the edge, could literally be fatal—and that you keep them to yourself. Trolly thoughts don't necessarily make you a troll. It's trolly actions that do. To date, I've seen nothing of the kind in any of your posts—only thoughtful, kind, and helpful contributions to the community.

Until now, that is. Now you've ruined everything. :crying:

::p:

zharl

Yes, you are a cruel, sadistic, inhuman troll. Congratulations! :thumbup: Join the club! :brindis:

Having occasional impulses like this doesn't make you a monster. I have them too, and I generally consider myself a pretty nice guy (when I'm in my better moods). What matters is that you recognize the inherent cruelty of such answers and their potential effects—effects which on a forum like this, with so many of us teetering on the edge, could literally be fatal—and that you keep them to yourself. Trolly thoughts don't necessarily make you a troll. It's trolly actions that do. To date, I've seen nothing of the kind in any of your posts—only thoughtful, kind, and helpful contributions to the community.

Until now, that is. Now you've ruined everything. :crying:

::p:

This post is bad and I should feel bad.

Zharl a sadist???! OMG, kick this droning troll already!

I am far from thinking this about you. Always found your posts helpful,the bit of humour in them is what actually makes them even more interesting.

zharl

Zharl a sadist???! OMG, kick this droning troll already!

I am far from thinking this about you. Always found your posts helpful,the bit of humour in them is what actually makes them even more interesting.

PMing mods to perma-ban.