Does the pain ever stop?

mooseantlers

Does the pain ever stop?

My heart goes out to those that have had to deal with bullying. And now, with the use of cyber-bullying, I can not imagine what it would be like in this day and age. I am about to turn 60 and to be honest, the pain never went away.

When I was about 12 years old, I would have to take the bus to school. It was a rural town and thus was a small school (class sizes then were 50-60 students). I never did nor say anything to this guy (3 years older than I was); however, one day he decided he didn’t like me. I arrived at the bus stop, he referred to me as a fat f__k and was punched in the stomach several times. Thankfully, the bus arrived and it stopped. However, at the end of the day, and we were dropped off, he (and a couple of his friends) waited until I got off the bus and it started again.

After that, it was a daily thing; every morning & then again in the afternoon, I’d get punched-out while his friends stood around and laughed. It would impossible to get off the bus and run home as his friends would sit toward the front of the bus and wait for me to get off. This routine went on for days, weeks and months. The afternoon beatings would often result in my clothes being ripped. I guess I was lucky that I wasn’t vomiting blood; or worse. Maybe I should have said something to my parents about it as I was catching hell from my mother about being too rough on my school clothes. Finally, one day, I told my mother what was happening & refused to ride the bus. At the time, I had to ride the bus, or walk 6+ miles to school. Although my mother believed me, her advice was to simply tell him ‘no’.

After one such beating in the morning, I decided to walk home but that didn’t work out well either. As I walked (alone), I was unaware that a car was pulling up to me. What I do remember was being smashed in the back of the head. The last thing I remembered was seeing one of ‘the boys’ hanging out the window, holding a (hard-bound) textbook while he laughed and called me some rather vile names. I know others saw it happen but nobody bothered to help. I had a raging headache for days

Not long after (a day or so), I was scared to death that this would be just another day; and another beating. I thought that I’d try my mother’s suggestion & when he went after me, I told him no. His remark was that the fat-boy has a big mouth and needed to be taught a lesson and his friends held me. Before he landed a punch, the bus showed up. Before boarding the bus, he made sure to tell me that he was going to kill me for that remark. ‘Just wait until later!’ I dreaded that ride home on the bus.

On the way home, I was sitting with a girl that lived across the street from us. ‘He’ was already on the bus and not sitting anywhere near me. At least for the moment I felt safe, but that didn’t last long. He forced himself into the seat in front of us. As soon the bus pulled away from the school, he turned and again repeated that I was dead once we got to the bus stop. I was scared to death at this point. I pleaded with him to please leave me alone; I’d never done anything to him. Next thing I know, he turned around, put a knife to my throat and told me was going to kill me. ‘When I tell you to come over so I can punch you, you’d better listen. This time you are going to pay for it!’ As soon as the bus stopped, I ran for my life. And yes, I started crying my eyes out. Thankfully, the neighbor went to the house with me and informed my mother as to what had happened. My mother immediately called the police.

Did this cure the problems? No! If I recall, he was suspended from school but that was it. Did that stop the beatings? He had 2 brothers and of course his friends that took over. And it went from being at the bus stop and was occasionally happening AT school. One day, 3 of them jumped me & as I was about to get worked over, I flipped out. I was able to break away from the two that were holding me and punched the 3rd one in the face as hard as I could. I didn’t care at all that I’d broken his glasses and ran away. There wer witnesses but that didn’t matter. These ‘thugs’ (for lack of something more suitable to call them) ran to the school office and reported me and called my parents. The kid’s parents demanded that we pay for his glasses. I explained to my parents what had happened & I do remember my mother caling the school and telling them what really happened. He never received a penny for his glasses. After that, my mother got a job at the school and I’d get a ride to school and then back home.

I know I had nightmares all the time. The image of that knife at my throat nearly did me in. And that wasn’t the end of it either. Although the beating tapered off for the longest time, it would happen every now and then & lasted through most of high school too. I’d gotten my driver’s license & every now and then, my mother would let me drop her off and let me use the car. One day, as I was about to leave, a couple of them tried to jump me. I got in the car & locked the doors. One of them decided he’d take care of that & started to open the hood of the car & was going to rip out a few wires; that way, I’d be stuck and have to get out. I fired up the car and pulled forward until I pinned him against the guardrail and threatened to crush his legs. As he screamed, I gained some morbid satisfaction that Ihad the upper hand. After a few seconds, I backed up and drove out of the student parking lot with the hood still opened.

And when I found out that the girl I was dating had been setting me up, that about did me in. I think she gained a lot of pleasure from knowing I’d get my *** kicked. Obviously that relationship ended the moment I found out. Who do you trust now? And on certain occasions, I’d gotten a beat-down from a couple that where in my class. After one such day, another guy in our class, that I did not associate with at all, got some pay-back on my behalf. He arrived ‘just in the nick of time’ saw what was about to happen & punched one so hard that he not only knocked him out, he also broke his nose. What was almost funny was that this was done in front of 15-20 others & nobody saw anything.

I did meet a girl at school & we seemed to hit it off fairly well. And she had her own story to tell me on our very first date. She was 14 (before we met), a guy had been hassling her every day. She would walk home from school and he’d ‘hassle her’ by saying he was going to do something to ‘do something to her one of these days.’ Trying to get home as qucik as she could, she cut through a small section of woods. He was waiting for her to pass by & when she did, he grabbed her and she was raped. She said she screamed as loud as she could & tried to claw his face but he was too strong. She says he ‘put it in her’ for a few seconds, pulled out and threatened to do it again, or even kill her, if she said anything. She said she told her mother & ‘mom’ didn’t belive her; after all, this ‘boy’ was from a ‘good family’. Thankfully, nothing else happened to her. I offered to even the score for her but she talked me out of it. ‘It won’t change what happened!’

I can say that, a number of years later, I married that lady. 9 years later, and now with a daughter of our own, she’d gone to a school-mates (a boy) birthday party. I was at work when my wife called and told me we had an emergency. The police were at our place when I got there & knew something was up when the wife handed me a beer and had me sit down. The boy’s father had brought our daughter home earlier as she wasn’t feeling good. That’s when she opened up and said that the boy’s father tried to accost her. He called to her from the bedroom, she went to the door and when she saw him naked, he asked her to come over and ‘kiss it’. Unlike her mother’s reaction, my wife belived her her when she told mom what had really happened. The police had to restrain me from going over and cutting off that guy’s ‘member’ and shove it up his butt. When our lawyer talked to the boy, he was told that he’d seen daddy do things like that before. The lawyer used his money to locate the other girls, they confirmed what he’d done & he not only lost his family, he did time in prison for it.

Yes, this was 48 years ago. And to this day, I still have an occasional nightmare about that knife at my throat. It is something I can’t shake. The image is still vivid in my memory banks. There were times that I wanted to make a trip ‘back home’, find those ‘thugs’ and get even with the one that did that to the wife and the ones that beat me all the time. I am not one for dealing with ‘social media’ but my daughter asked me to join Facebook and post pictures of the granddaughters. I reluctantly did & before long, I was getting invitations from one classmate (woman) regarding a reunion. I wanted to tell her I’d be there; this would be the prime opportunity to get even with the ones that tortured me. Thankfully, I ignored the request.

As for this cyber-bullying that’s going on, it’s a terrible thing to read how an innocent person. Trying to grow up in todays’ society must be more than the hell I went through. Just because you, or your child may not deal with this social media, it doesn’t mean that others don’t. As a famous TV personality said ‘kids say the darndest things’ is only partially right. Make that ‘say the most hateful things’ and yet it continues. It’s horrible to think that anyone has to deal with this & those that do it should be convicted of a hate crime and should have to deal with the approriate action taken against them.

I will agree that it’s proper for this crap to be reported but honestly, does the pain and hurt ever stop?

MikeyC

I read all of this. I'm so, so, so, so sorry for everything that you've been through. I went through school bullying, but barely a fraction of what you went through. This is awful.

As a sidebar, the jury's still out on whether school bullying has an impact throughout your whole life, and I am of the belief it does. Again, mine wasn't as bad as yours, but it goes to show how one incident (knife at your throat) can ruin your life. It does impact, as those are your most formative years and they stick like napalm to you.

The pain can stop, but in your case you've dealt with it for over four decades, and it may be too entrenched in your mind. However, therapies and things can help you, if you were wanting to go down that road. It's never too late to start, and if you want to stop the nightmares (I'm sure you do), it could be a good starting point to enjoy the rest of your life.

Seeing your daughter go through these things that your wife did must be horrific. At least that man received prison time for his despicable actions.

Today's cyber-bullying is out of control. People can target other people in ways you and I could never conceive back in school (I ended high school in 2003 - one year prior to the invention of Facebook, thankfully!). A girl I know had to leave school because an ex-boyfriend who is a waste of space posted nude photos of her all over social media and taunts of "slut" and "*****" drove her away from school. It's a relatively new form of bullying that's so widespread. I'm very lucky I never had to put up with it.

Anyway, whatever you try to do with exorcising your demons, I hope it works. It's sad to hear what you went through at the hands of some demented teenagers. :sad:

Silatuyok

Wow :(

It sounds like you've had a lot of bad experiences in life, but also a lot of good ones. I did Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing therapy after getting out of an abusive relationship. Might be something to look into. It sounds like you have some PTSD going on.

Also, welcome to the forum.

jaim38

I'm sorry you had to go through such nightmares. I was also bullied but not as bad as what you described. Personally, I wouldn't have gone to that school reunion either. It would only serve to bring back old grudges, and what if those bullies ended up stalking you? It's best to let bygones be bygones.

I don't think the pain disappears completely, but it does lessen considerably with time. If you are religious, it helps to pray and focus on divinity. There will always be bullying, rapes, wars, and other horrible things in this world - in the past, present, and future, and there's nothing we can do to stop it. But with more awareness about bullying, with more people being empowered to speak out and help each other, we can perhaps make a difference. In the past for example, bullying, racism, gay bashings, etc are more widely tolerated, but now things are changing. People are more educated, have access to more info, and hence, don't tolerate such things anymore.

Kiwong

I am so sorry you lived through such horrible bullying. I am glad you were able to find love with and help your wife who went through a rape.

I was never able to form relationships, I lost trust with people altogether. The damage is always present, I don't I fully developed as a human being, because of the damage that was done to me as an adolescent.

For me the verbal bullying was harder for me to cope with than the physical bullying

moondog

Cyber bullying has a lot of potential for victims.

Just do it and have fun!!

Use fake ID , you want to remain invisible.