Does the news and sad stories panic you ?

bitingthepea

I've noticed when i see the news and something terrible comes on i instantly think im having breathing problems (not a panic attack, cus boy i know what they are like )
or if i read a sad story say about someone getting cancer ill focus on my breathing and then for some reason think i'm gona get it ??
Anyone else panic about news or sad stuff

Nanita

Yes I believe that reading about illness or seeing violent pictures effects us more than we are aware of.

I don´t watch the news. And I don´t read the newspaper.
The stories in newspapers and tv are usually not very wise nor do I benefit from consuming them.
I don´t want to expose myself to pictures & words about violence, war, and so on.

B

Beatrice

Yes I believe that reading about illness or seeing violent pictures effects us more than we are aware of.

I don´t watch the news. And I don´t read the newspaper.
The stories in newspapers and tv are usually not very wise nor do I benefit from consuming them.
I don´t want to expose myself to pictures & words about violence, war, and so on.

I agree with this. I always hated watching the news because it's so negative. It's what sells, so that's what they peddle. They throw in a few positives to make it seem less pessimistic, but it's half-assed in my opinion.

I never understood why my family members loved to sit and devour that stuff. And True Crime. Sure, it can be morbidly fascinating, and I like watching forensics and such once in a while, too. But all the time? Gets to be so horribly depressing, makes you paranoid, and makes you start to lose your faith in humanity.

No thank you.

Nanita

Yes Beatrice, exactly... Most people (in modernized countries) all read and watch the same stuff about bad things going on and it´s like.... WHY..... It doesn´t do anyone any good.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

I try to get my news from... well, all news channels and papers are corporate run, so their goal is to sell. Not all bad, but, definitely they dont cover everything or the whole truth.

Projectcensored.org is nice place, I was briefly a part of it at my school, partly some student run research and covers topics unbiased and really important topics that do NOT get covered by mainstream news. Bad stuff? Yeah, but important things to know, we can't hide away or things won't change.

I don't want to be ignorant and hide away from bad stuff, but dont want it bombarding me either and being controlled in content by mainstream places because their goal is to sell first, control the content to do number one 2nd, and "truth" 3rd. Just about being aware of where you're getting your news from. Without being crazy cynical =D

Last edited:

EvilFlyingCow

Hmm... unfortunately, news about wars and natural disasters really fascinates me. As if I'm hoping it's all leading up to the end of the world or something. I'm looking forward to that for some reason.

coyote

unfortunately, i accidentally dropped an anvil on my television

so I'm completely in the dark most of the time

if figure that if something happens that's going to require my attention

they'll sound the early warning sirens

Mickery

The BBC is a worthwhile resource, they are legally mandated to be impartial even if it doesn't quite work out that way.

djkghigh

i sometime have the whole focusing on breathing thing take place but not in connection with news stories
concerning them i am almost completely desensitized probably due to the fact i hear and see stuff like it all the time

planemo

The only thing I find frightening is war. Most other things really don't bother me. When I listen to the local news on radio, hearing about violent crimes literally everyday, it doesn't really seem to hit that panic button in me. But seeing international incidents and the probability of war really does. I'm sorta expecting WWIII anytime soon, seeing what's going on in the Middle East and since 9/11. Maybe my fears are unnecessary but I still feel a little knot in my stomach whenever I hear international news.

No, because i have other things on my mind. This may sounds cruel or selfish but it is the truth. But there are some exceptions like what happend to Japan lately. I was impressed by the power of destruction but it also made me sad thinking about all those people and their loss.:mad:

Rembrandt Broam

The news doesn't panic me, but it does depress me. I find both the content of a lot of stories depressing, and the way in which the TV news delivers them. They always seem to want to make even the worst stories even more depressing, adding in groundless speculation and always trying to paint the blackest possible picture. That's why I pretty much avoid TV news altogether now.

Lea

Banned
A random news:

India mothers accused in honor killing of 2 brides - Yahoo! News

Btw I love reading newspapers and magazines, but not so much the same on internet. Don´t know why. Unfortunately I now live on my own and can´t afford buying newspapers, let alone magazines but I have books and internet and that´s more than enough. Too much of press is only bringing too much of unnecessary information. And yes sometimes it´s making me depressed reading about the murders, day after day.