does it ever get easier :(

aloneloner

I have soo many people trying to help me right now with my anxiety, but it only seems to be getting worse. I dont know how to talk to people..I always feel like they just think I'm pathetic, which I guess is true since I can barely even function around people sometimes
I just want to have some friends that I can have fun with and try to enjoy life..its hard to carry on with life when it feels like i'm completely alone..and I'm always quiet around people which just makes them think I hate them but I dont :(

worrywort

I've been feeling very similarly lately. Sometimes I find it so difficult to just do simple greetings and small talk, and I always feel so demolished when I come away from these little interactions because I'm convinced the other person either thinks I'm rude or arrogant or weird or a sad loser. My self esteem gets so low sometimes I just feel like it's not even worth me opening my mouth at all.

But we're not alone. About 1 in 10 people are estimated to have Social Anxiety disorder. It's the third largest psychological disorder in the US after depression and alcoholism. It's just harder to tell who suffers from it by looking at people cause we all learn to disguise it so well.

I also believe that it does get easier, because we all get a little wiser as we age. The bad phases don't unsettle me like they used to. I feel grounded and steady enough to know that I can ride it out and things will get better soon, because it always does.

jimmy75

I always wonder if it will ever get easier and sometimes I worry that the fault is in my brain, that anxiety sufferers will always feel more anxiety than the rest of the population and that worries me. Why are other people so carefree all the time?

Alienated

I used to be totally normal, other than being a alcoholic for 30 years.. I am sober now.. 8 years, after a total mental breakdown. I have spent that time in isolation, learning . I have tried to go out and meet people since my whole family is dead now, and I am all alone too... But it has been a dismal failure, I spent almost 8 years in isolation getting my sanity back, only to go out and find everyone else lost there's..

WE LIVE IN A INSANE WORLD, IT"S NOT YOU... Find someone that needs you as much as you need them, and do everything you can to make it work.

People have lost the ability to care for one another, or comunicate for that matter.. It sucks I know but that's the fact !!

Furtunatly I have found a girl frind on the other Social Anxiety Forum before I was disgusted by what society has become.. We are now engaged, and are going to stay in limited isolation together.. We are both total outcasts, and found peace and love in the insanity.. I hope that gives you hope, but my advise is " If you live in unorthadox situation, you may need to take unorthadox chances to get any results. "

It worked for me and my girl, we are there for each other now. I hope that helped, hearing someone escaped the pit of despair. But it won't be easy..

Last edited:

Quietguy11

I have soo many people trying to help me right now with my anxiety, but it only seems to be getting worse. I dont know how to talk to people..I always feel like they just think I'm pathetic, which I guess is true since I can barely even function around people sometimes
I just want to have some friends that I can have fun with and try to enjoy life..its hard to carry on with life when it feels like i'm completely alone..and I'm always quiet around people which just makes them think I hate them but I dont :(

Hey it does get easier. I was in the same place you are right now. I am still not very good at getting my voice out in the open in group settings but I hardly struggle at all with one on one conversations anymore. May I ask you a question? Do you exercise your brain much? I found my blank mind and quietness had a lot to do with a tired and unstimulated brain. Remember the brain is a muscle that MUST be exercised in order for it to work and function!

What helped me was reading. Now I realize not everyone likes to read... so it is important to find something that you will enjoy reading. For me it is manga and anime (in Japanese with English subtitles.) I found that reading, as well as reading the Bible because I'm a Christian has helped me feed my brain information and therefore sped it up so that I'm quicker in conversations.

If you like anime, switch from English Dubbed to Japanese Dubbed with English Subtitles, and continue to read and feed your brain information. Before long, even though it will take awhile to get the brain in gear, you will notice improvements in your cognition and you will find that you have a lot more to say. Also it's not all about taking in information for the brain. Also do something that relaxes you and gives you peace and tranquility. For me it's drawing. If you like drawing, music, writing, etc. do it more often as it will help reduce anxiety.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
I have days where I feel stronger and fight the battle against my problems..but then I have days where I get so tired of telling myself "im thinking the wrong way".. "My thinking is faulty.." Because through self help books and mental health professionals, that's basically what they teach you in dealing with anxiety etc. I get tired of telling myself I'm always wrong. I understand where negative and pessimistic thinking can lead to. But I also understand that trying to become something you're not is folly.

Flowers-Of-Bloom

Yes, it does get easier, but usually it feels like its getting harder before it gets easier. I think that's just how it is, well that's how it has been for me. Hang in there, it will take time but it will get easier if you keep trying.