Does it bother you?

DekKO

Today, some relatives were coming over to eat and I don't have a problem wiht that. Well they weren't there yet so I decided to clean my room then as soon as they came in they started eating. I just decided to clean my room first and then eat with them. Well I hear all of them talking about how I don't want to eat with them because I don't like them or something. Which isn't true because I was gonna clean my room first. It still bothered me because they had the mindset of me not eating because I didn't like them which isn't true at all. Does that bother you when someone thinks you're doing something for a reason that is entirely not true?

EscapeArtist

wow it bothers me so much. I have a similar story, I was sick with the flu on christmas, my family was eating at my grandmothers, but of course, because I wasn't there she assumed I hated her. She went so far as to not talk to me on my birthday during dinner. She actually asked me why I hated her a YEAR after me not going to the christmas dinner, and I told her I was sick, she rolled her eyes and I had to sweet talk her, and then she said "I've been holding your birthday money from last year because I thought you hated me". Aahhhhhhhh I hate assumptions!

DekKO

wow it bothers me so much. I have a similar story, I was sick with the flu on christmas, my family was eating at my grandmothers, but of course, because I wasn't there she assumed I hated her. She went so far as to not talk to me on my birthday during dinner. She actually asked me why I hated her a YEAR after me not going to the christmas dinner, and I told her I was sick, she rolled her eyes and I had to sweet talk her, and then she said "I've been holding your birthday money from last year because I thought you hated me". Aahhhhhhhh I hate assumptions!

That's terrible. It was my grandmother too who was making all the assumptions. Go figure! I can understand yours though. Yours was a really good excuse and she still couldn't accept it. Besides you not going probably showed you love her because you didn't want to give her the flu. Thanks for replying! :)

SilverFire

It's crazy when people do things like that, but ya know, it is cool that at least they SAID WHY. Folks in my family tend to bury things, so I feel like there are silent daggers aimed at me, or this general feeling of unease, but I can't ever figure out exactly why.

Meisiemel

When I was 14 my cousins came to visit - we hadn't seen them in 2 years and in that time my face had exploded with acne and I was too embarrassed for them to see me like that - so I hid under a bed and they were very offended. They didn't understand at all and took it that I didn't like them and they told my sisters to tell me they were angry about being "snubbed" by me.
Looking back, I can see it from their perspective and if I could go back in time I'd endure the humiliation rather than hurt their feelings.
Acne plus social phobia is a lethal combination. A lot of psychiatrists wonder which comes first - they think the acne possibly causes the social phobia.

Yes, it bothers me allot when people assume things without enough evidence/reason to do so. Especially when it regards something about me personally. They could at least say/ask it to my face. =/

Yes, it bothers me allot when people assume things without enough evidence/reason to do so. Especially when it regards something about me personally. They could at least say/ask it to my face. =/

People should never assume. To assume is to make an .....

Would prefer to be told person-to-person.

Nothing would happen. Confusion, thinking what reaction to use is too long, they go away.

Tiercel

Never assume. For when you do,
You make an ass of me and you. ;)

I dislike this as well. So much so that I usually find myself explaining my actions to people so they don't get the wrong idea. With women have to be certain that they don't mistake my friendliness for an advance of some sort. With friends I have to be certain they don't think I'm a fool. With family I have to be certain they don't think I expect something in return.

When someone does get the wrong idea, regardless how wrong it is, I always try to explain with kindness and humor. Even if I really feel like telling them exactly how stupid it is, I never want them to think poorly of me.