Does anyone on here do webdesign for a living or a hobby?

Yes We Can

Well in a few years, there will be different computers, software etc.

So everything i will have learned in uni will be pointless, there will be new ways to edit web design etc.

ok, I see your point. Thanks.

Thanks to everyone who responded, I really appreciate your feedback, very valuable.

As others have mentioned, the best bet is to start with learning html, using it you can make semi decent sites, and with html 5 there are some interesting things coming out. As for other things, CSS is good to learn, it has become a standard in theme design for sites etc. Javascript and php are used a lot. And for databases sql, or mysql is used often.
This is a my student page at school, click the logo <--- this is all html and css

and this is a site I made using a content manager for a modding community, it is still in the works.
Outhouse Mouse Studios

Content managers allow users to set up quit forum like sites and use premade themes etc, you can make your own themes though, and change the code for how the site works.

Well in a few years, there will be different computers, software etc.

So everything i will have learned in uni will be pointless, there will be new ways to edit web design etc.

Hmm that is possible, I see the hardware changing faster then the software, though there are moves to make the software better, like html 5 with its ability to embed videos directly etc. Plus there are moves to ad 3d graphics power to the internet.

I try to keep up with everything, and if the stuff coming from labs are any indication then yes the future of computers will be quite different but if net neutrality is put through, then the internet won't move near the pace it once did.

Liam17

After saying that, i just got a really fast reply for a uni offer for web technologies. Considering it :)

Richey

just learn the basics of dreamweaver, perhaps learn wordpress for blogs and learn PHP, HTML & CSS ..also a web designer is expected to have graphics art skilss these days, well i think graphic artists are expected to know a bit of html as well ..

it's always going to be a regular form of employment that is always in demand.

just remember that a web designer has to spend alot of time talking with clients on the phone and interacting with other departments so it's not really a job where you can stay secluded and it can be challenging.

i would only recommend this line of work to someone who is a genuine optimist as annoying as that sounds you are going to encounter alot of frustration and errors, failures, and a strong memory and grasping concepts is a huge advantage.

also remember that you have to continuously upgrade your skills each year. so it can be quite complicated

as was stated above studying multimedia or website design will be superseeded withing a year or two so any certificate while still valid won't be rooted in terms of relevance if companies start using a CMS or new ways to build sites that become industry standard techniques because languages are always changing and methods such as programming is being made simpler each year so that soon anyone will be able to download software where they can add images to headers and footers and can just add content theselves, that's why Joomla and CMS's are the norm right now.

i think right now web companies tend to focus on building the template for Joomla CMS's and JQuery is popular because they make advertisements and moving artwork and vidoe look so slick.

you really have to be 100% interested in design and programming otherwise you will be lost along the way.

its fun to try as a hobby though and you can go at your own pace.

Last edited: