Does anyone on here do webdesign for a living or a hobby?

Yes We Can

Hey everybody, does anyone on here do webdesign for a living or as a hobby? I would like to learn webdesign, and I'm trying to find out which programs are essential to learn. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this thread is in the wrong forum, didn't realize which forum this was at the time I posted it.

Last edited:

Daz

It's something that really interests me but I just don't have the motivation or the patience to get started. I bought HTML books years ago but I never gave them a second glance. I want to learn how to program as well.

Liam17

I'm studying it at college.

Dreamweaver is your best bet.
Or iWeb by apple is very easy to use for beginners.

Yes We Can

Graphics aside, webdesign is done with code. You would want to learn HTML/CSS, and possibly javascript. Learn HTML first. You don't need a specific program. You write the code as if you were to write an essay. Use notepad, write your code, save it as filename.html. To view it, open the file in your internet browser.

OK, great. I actually have done a little of what you're suggesting, as far as HTML and CSS, but I definitely need to learn more, and learn JavaScript.

start here HTML Tutorial good luck
Thanks.

It's something that really interests me but I just don't have the motivation or the patience to get started. I bought HTML books years ago but I never gave them a second glance. I want to learn how to program as well.

Wow, Lmao.

Take the easy route and get Dreamweaver.

I definitely would like to get dreamweaver, although I still would like to learn the code, just in case I run into complications. Thanks.

Phoenixx

If you ever need any help about it just ask :)
Home

Thats a website i made for my friends band.

^ That's pretty neat :)

I've always wanted to learn more about webdesign. I did teach myself some basic HTML, but I haven't really taught myself anything more than that.

Liam17

^ That's pretty neat :)

I've always wanted to learn more about webdesign. I did teach myself some basic HTML, but I haven't really taught myself anything more than that.

Glad you like it :)

I was looking for a career in this area, but thought theres no point now. So off to music technology me thinks.

eggpod

I definitely would like to get dreamweaver, although I still would like to learn the code, just in case I run into complications. Thanks.

Dreamweaver is quite flexible for both coding and the more visual approach to layout - I've got a pretty huge website and I bluffed it all together without any code at all, I barely even understand CSS!

shredman

Ive been running my own web design business for about 8 years now. Works out well for me. Meetings are always tough. I had to do a board meeting presenation once and that totally freaked me out (wont do that again!) Sometimes people just want to meet you and suss you out before you get the job. I worked at home for a while but things started to get real busy and I had to move out and get an office. I have an employee now which can be hard for me interacting at times. If I get big projects, I hire a coder for database & high security stuff. We do all design, HTML, CSS in-house though. You can also check out Business Catalyst (just google it) who provide a business solution for designers. It lets you create pretty full on sites without being a hardcore coder. Their email hosting really sux though. As others have said Dreamweaver is the go :)

da_illest101

well someone gave you a good link to learn coding, if you want to get dream weaver i'll gladly help.

i love web programming, i was always helping my classmate last semester

Liam17

Ive been running my own web design business for about 8 years now. Works out well for me. Meetings are always tough. I had to do a board meeting presenation once and that totally freaked me out (wont do that again!) Sometimes people just want to meet you and suss you out before you get the job. I worked at home for a while but things started to get real busy and I had to move out and get an office. I have an employee now which can be hard for me interacting at times. If I get big projects, I hire a coder for database & high security stuff. We do all design, HTML, CSS in-house though. You can also check out Business Catalyst (just google it) who provide a business solution for designers. It lets you create pretty full on sites without being a hardcore coder. Their email hosting really sux though. As others have said Dreamweaver is the go :)

I was thinking of going down your route, is running your own web design business hard?

shredman

I was thinking of going down your route, is running your own web design business hard?
Depends on the day. Some days are. Its just me, another guy and a part time book-keeper. Ive only recently found out about SA. It manifests itself into everything I do.. work being just one of them. If I was more of a businessman I'd be doing really well. Im more of a creative type with my head in the clouds most of the time :rolleyes: Working for yourself is pretty easy going. Having employees is a whole different ball game. I often wonder whether it's worth it.. things were much easier when I was by myself. Freelancing is pretty easy but will take you a while to establish working relationships. You just need to build your contacts and do your best to keep them happy. They will give you more work and you can establish long term relationships. All the work I get is via word-of-mouth and the work just seems to cruise along now... took a while to build the client base though :)

But I guess it's a perfect job for someone with SA. The only problems I get are meetings (dont happen too often), morning job briefs with employee but then I get to hide away in my corner for the rest of the day :)

Yes We Can

Home

Thanks.

Dreamweaver is quite flexible for both coding and the more visual approach to layout - I've got a pretty huge website and I bluffed it all together without any code at all, I barely even understand CSS!

Wow, really? I'd like to check it out, what's the name of your website?

well someone gave you a good link to learn coding, if you want to get dream weaver i'll gladly help.

Thanks.

Yes We Can

Home

Thanks, interesting site.

Wow, really? I'd like to check it out, what's the name of your website?

Thanks.

bluepixel

I do. I do backend stuff as well.

It's less about learning specific programs and more about learning to write the code. For design, you'll need to know: HTML, CSS, and some Javascript... and I'd recommend you learn them in that order.

I like Dreamweaver, but as I only use the code editor and DW is expensive, I don't use it anymore. I use, to varying degrees, Netbeans, Visual Studio, Expression Web, Visual Web Developer Express... all of which have a code editor (IMO) as good as dreamweaver.

Visual Web Developer Express is free. The MS Expression tools are geared towards designers and you might be able to get them for free as well (see dreamspark.com).

oh, and you should probably learn a bit of Photoshop or some graphics program (Paint Shop Pro, Paint.NET, etc.)... at the very least, you'll need to crop and resize stuff a lot.

Would be happy to help with any questions you may have :)

@shredman if you ever need a coder or designer, drop me a line and I'll link to my resume & portfolio :)