Does anyone else sound stupid when they talk?

Clown

I know what you guys mean , I sound like an absolute retard im making a constant fool of my self ....-_-' ( why you think my name is clown ..)

Since I take high dose benzos (not 1 dose but 7 single very high) I can talk like some president :D ( even my friends say now : what has happen to you for godsake in a postive way) and it makes me wonder how can somebody live with that for 7 years long making a constant fool of me self and everyone else thinks. life sucks when you get the bad cards dealt.

R3X

I also tend to slur my speech and mess up when im talking, my mind goes faster than my mouth can move and I get tripped up and stutter.

^This.You totally described me right here.It happens when I'm nervous or excited to say something.My mind tends to think too fast and mouth can't cope with the "speed" of it.In the end,I have to repeat what I'm saying again,and again,and again until I get the message through.I'm practicing though by speaking to myself on a daily basis even if it looks like I'm a "nut" but hey,it works.Even if it's progressing rather................slowly. =_="

Lonelykitsune

I'm a girl whose voice breaks. Very annoying. Also I mumble a bit and speak fast and always have to repeat myself. The northern Irish accent in the south doesn't help either.

dazedgal

oh yes i do. i even have a funny accent (funny to other people, it depresses me) to top it all of. i can't even tell a story without stuttering or just losing all my words right on the spot even though. i also have a quiet voice. i hate talking.

Blabla..

Here's how 90% of the conversations between myself and my mother go... *ahem*
mom: Do you know what you want to eat for dinner?
me: I was thinking I'd try making some gnocchi with the leftover pesto from the other night, so I should probably-
mom: Some what?
me: Ah... some... pasta...stuff...
mom: Pesto? What? We had bowtie pesto the night before last...
me: No-- a different kind of-
mom: What?
me: Some chicken...
mom: eh?
me: Chicken in a tophat.
mom: ...
me: You're deaf.
mom: I'm not deaf!
me: Well, you smell like indian food wrapped in a fig leaf.
mom: What?
me: I'm going to cook a whole pig for dinner and you're going to eat ALL of it!
mom: We don't have a whole pig...
me: I'll go out and hunt one down. A wild boar! I shall carve a set of knives from it's tusks. Boar tusk knives! I shall call them Boartknives and I'll sell them on the shopping channel for 6 installments of $5.55.
mom: So, what are we going to have for supper? Do you want to order pizza?
me: I don't care anymore. You suck.
mom: I'm going to order a pizza.
/end scene. True story.

This made me laugh hard.

I cannot stand my voice on recordings , i think i sound terrible , i hope this is not the way people hear it .

I might have a good point or joke at the time, but for some reason the thoughts are never translated into proper sentences.

I'd rather show people things then telling about them. This goes for both shallow and deeply emotional matters a like. In many cases talking is a huge buzzkill for me.

BleedTheFreak

I always have to monitor my voice because it's so deep. When I'm talking to family I just speak normally, but when I'm out I have to speak a bit higher so people can understand what I'm saying. I also tend to run out of gas mid-sentence and speak in fragments because I'm too busy thinking/worrying about other things like how I look or my facial expression or whatever else.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

I might have a good point or joke at the time, but for some reason the thoughts are never translated into proper sentences.

I'd rather show people things then telling about them. This goes for both shallow and deeply emotional matters a like. In many cases talking is a huge buzzkill for me.

This is key for me too! Never translated into a proper sentence. Sign language ftw! :D But really it's also about experience - your tongue and brain is a muscle - speech is a different area than writing - gotta use it or lose it. I don't use it as much as I SHOULD - challenge. Even so... I'll always feel more comfortable writing than speaking. But we can ALL get better with SPEECH! =D

Shy_Gurl2007

I work as a secretary, so I have to deal with people in person and over the phone. For some reason,when I get really anxious, my speech becomes slurred and I cannot form proper sentences. It always happens when I have to make a phone call to someone for the first time. I have a hard time explaining things when I get anxious also.

w*n*c*a*m

Yep, my voice always seemed to be an issue. Sometimes I just wanna yell at them and say "Are you deaf!!" Because they don't seem to understand me even if I tried to speak louder. I think my normal voice is just so thin. I can't explain it. Even if I speak loud, it still sound soft. Even the karaoke machine couldn't recognize it. Example... After every song, the machine detects the singer's voice and rates it. So first my sister sang and she got 90. My mom sang and she got like 87. And when it was my turn the machine didn't even detect that somebody was singing, it just skipped to the next song. The heck! I was using a microphone and my family said they can hear me well. So I thought it was just a glitch so they sang and then when it was my turn, it happened again. It's just so weird... they describe my voice like a "wind" or something. Try to imagine. LOL!
Another time, I tried to blend in a group discussion with my classmates and they didn't even hear me. I said it louder, they didn't hear me still. I tried to speak louder than my louder voice but still they didn't notice me. So at the end they said "how about you, don't you have any suggestion?" And I was like "I've been telling you a lot of times but you didn't notice me!!!" I wanna punch their ears.
And yep, I'm often anxious when telling a story. Because when I speak in my normal phase, they seem to get bored and change the topic. So I try to speak faster than my brain could handle lol. and that makes me mumble words or get pretty disorganized, so they couldn't understand me still.
And the pitch of my voice goes different depending on the situation. Sometimes it tooooo loooooow. Sometimes it gets high and lively.
I hate hearing my voice in the recorder.
The only compensation is, people say that I sound so pretty in the phone.... and I've got a talent to make my voice seductive. That's the only way people appreciate my voice (on the phone). lol.

Piece_By_Piece

I don't think my voice is that weird, although a bit low for a girl. But I feel like I sound stupid when I talk, like sometimes I start a sentence and my voice might be too high and then I have to lower it. Also I confuse words. It's weird :(

moon_x

Yes I do, because when i'm nervous, I tend to mumble and I am so quiet, also my voice sounds really stupid because I sound like a man. I have a deep, husky voice for a girl which is really bad. I wish I had a feminine voice ::eek::