Does anyone else have trouble even enjoying their hobbies?

InfraRecon

Not sure if I've seen something covering this on here yet?...

Basically does anyone have trouble enjoying even their most favourite hobbies because of the mental state they're in?

I play drums and I think I'm pretty good and should be practicing and getting better as often as possible etc. but for the last year(+) I can't play with even the most remote enjoyment because I feel depressed or just feel like I couldn't care less what I was doing right then. As a result, I play (really badly/ half-assed) for 10 minutes then stop midway and leave. It's upsetting because interests such as that are meant to be the things we go to when we are down and need to something we love to cheer us up, or even give our lives meaning.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Silatuyok

Yes. I tend to lose interest in my activities if it meets with some sort of criticism or lack of enthusiasm from others. Then I have to remind myself that I am doing it for myself, not for them. But I do think its natural for interests and hobbies to come and go, just like pretty much everything else in life.

Agent_Violet

i get this way with my piano. if I stumble over a song or hesitate reading the music I get depressed immediately and stop playing.

sucks the joy right out of it.

it's like, if i don't do it perfectly...what's the point in doing it at all? bad way to think but it is what it is.

Dead_on_Arrival

Hell yes, especially when I break a bike part and it costs a bomb to replace. Or when I'm drawing and I make a mistake that 99.9% of other people would never even notice I get annoyed with myself.

InfraRecon

Thanks for the responses. - yeah, as suggested by Dead_on_Arrival, perhaps (as I've read is common with sufferers from SA and the like) many of us are trying too hard? I would probably say I'm a perfectionist, and although that can sometimes be a positive if you strive to be better, I would say it is unfortunately a more destructive quality than constructive. I think I can also apply such a theory to other parts of my life, aswell.

surreyger

Im the same. Its hard for me to invest my self into something properly. Theres always some nagging negative in my head somewhere, although I do try to fight it. I dont really have any hobbies though which I need to change! but I have been going to the football alot lately which I like.

MikeyC

i get this way with my piano. if I stumble over a song or hesitate reading the music I get depressed immediately and stop playing.

sucks the joy right out of it.

it's like, if i don't do it perfectly...what's the point in doing it at all? bad way to think but it is what it is.
I play the drums and this is exactly how I feel. If I stuff up too many times, it's no longer enjoyable to be playing them and I'll get off and be frustrated with myself. It's not a nice thing to have but it's just the way I operate, unfortunately.

I would love to see a video of you playing the piano. I'm sure you're great at it! :D

WeirdyMcGee

Yes, definitely.
I've been depressed for a few years and I can't seem to sit and do anything and enjoy it.
Can't write, can't sing or play music or edit or draw or even cook.
Things that used to bring me joy just make me frustrated because I wonder why I can't get anything right or why I don't feel good doing the things I used to do.

Yess. I lost my motivation and drive for almost everything it's definitely depression and I get depressed because I have anxiety and I am not where I want to be in life. We are just so overwhelmed with everything else going on, I don't think you should give up on playing drums you almost have to make yourself do it. I'm on anti depressants now theyve helped a little although I hate medication

MikeyC

I play drums and I think I'm pretty good and should be practicing and getting better as often as possible etc. but for the last year(+) I can't play with even the most remote enjoyment because I feel depressed or just feel like I couldn't care less what I was doing right then. As a result, I play (really badly/ half-assed) for 10 minutes then stop midway and leave. It's upsetting because interests such as that are meant to be the things we go to when we are down and need to something we love to cheer us up, or even give our lives meaning.
I also play the drums and yes, I know what you're going through. I can get on the drums and think, "wow, that was a good session! I played well today!", and then other times I'll go, "that was awful and I don't know why I bother anymore". It depends on my mood and if I'm feeling it on the day.

As a drummer, my advice is to not give up! I've had compliments from people who say I'm good and that I have talent, which is nice to know. In fact, I played for about 8 people (very nerve-wracking) a couple of weekends ago and they liked it, so that's encouraging.

Don't give up, bro!

MrJones

I don't know how it feels to enjoy doing such things... everything that used to bring me those feeling is now... gone. I can't do it anymore. I can't even concentrate in them, I'm not looking at what I'm doing, always thinking about something else. Frustrating...

But I guess that as long as you keep trying there is still hope, right?