Do you worry about irrational things?

IamThisOne

Sometimes I worry about things that I know are not going to happen.

For instance, when I close the store where I work, I think that it is going to burn down or that I left the water faucet on and it will flood or that something is just going to happen.

Does anyone have any irrational fears?

Scooter

Yes, every time I leave the house I have to go back at least once to check I locked the door. But I know I'm just distracted and the behaviors are so ingrained that I know I turned the stove off, or locked the door, or put the hand brake on!!

AGR

Only if I closed my car,I keep thinking I left open even if I remember that I closed.

JosephG

Yeah - I often worry that I haven't locked the front door properly and someone might break in.
Or I might worry that I haven't screwed the cap properly on the milk, orange juice in the fridge and have to go and check it a few times to make sure it doesn't spill everywhere.
Random stuff like that...

Illusions

Sure, all the little things like whether I'd end up burning down my house accidentally because I forgot to turn off the iron/my handphone charger. :p

My worst irrational fear would be dying suddenly. Death is my biggest fear.

Danfalc

Banned
Yes. This is OCD.

Idk... While dwelling on irrational thoughts, is a key symptom and trait of ocd. I don't think it's wise to instantly say oh It's ocd. Irrational thinking obviously isn't limited to one disorder. It can just as easily be from chronic self doubt and self questioning. Not to mention a lot of anxiety disorders revolve around worrying about everything and anything.

Sorry if it seems like I'm having a go, Im not. Just I don't think we should be too quick to throw out self diagnoses.

@The op. Yes! And only since I have started doing c.b.t have I realized just how irrational some of my worries are. Worrying use to keep me up at night, because as soon as I got into bed my mind would start racing, reliving the past and just worrying none stop about other stuff too.

I got taught to get out of bed as soon as I started worrying, go into the living room and not go back to bed until I had tried to clear my head of worries. I almost laughed when he called it "worry time"! And when he suggested I have a worry hour I couldn't help thinking of like the naughty step some kids have haha. It just sounded so lame.

But I gave it a go, and I think it worked. I still worry sometimes, it's just a flaw I think I will have for a long time, questioning myself. But my brain has seemed to stop associating it with being in bed. My long winded point is I think there are techniques out there which can help =] And I hope as our confidence grows, we will start to have faith in ourselves again.

DeadCities

The title of this thread made me lol, given that this is a social phobia forum. But In terms of worrying something bads happening, not really. Sometimes when I'm bored I imagine what would happen in certain scenarios like "What if a plane hit that building over there just now." and stuff like that. I guess I have a morbid mind. :p