Do you worry about bumping into old friends?

phil91

Or maybe not specifically friends, but people who know you and you haven't seen in years. I do, it makes me not want to go out whenever I'm in my hometown. I just don't want to them to see that I'm still the quiet one that can't hold a conversation, that I haven't changed at all. I would love it if I had become really talkative, with a unique and funny personality, that would make them think "wow, he's changed". That's probably never going to happen. ::(:

dooby-duck

I do. They always seem to come up with awkward questions, and when I have 10 years of nothing much to tell them about I start to feel like a complete loser.

Emily_G

Yes!!! I hate seeing people from high school, if I see them and they don't see me I'll usually hide somewhere until they pass. Horrible, I know. I think I don't want to see them for two reasons, 1) I was a very covert stutterer in high school, so if they hear me stutter now I'm afraid of what they will think; and 2) I lived a very bad life in high school: drinking, promiscuity (sp?), cursed like a sailor...and now that I am a Christian I am ashamed of how I acted...

zlench

Yep I see them and try to avoid them as often as possible by making sure they don't see me.

Yes!!! I hate seeing people from high school, if I see them and they don't see me I'll usually hide somewhere until they pass. Horrible, I know. I think I don't want to see them for two reasons, 1) I was a very covert stutterer in high school, so if they hear me stutter now I'm afraid of what they will think; and 2) I lived a very bad life in high school: drinking, promiscuity (sp?), cursed like a sailor...and now that I am a Christian I am ashamed of how I acted...

Haha almost the same as mine. I am about to get my first job (21 and no job experience isn't that sad?) and for some reason I feel better getting one in a different town than my own. I want to start over again where no one in the past knows me. I'll probably just gonna save up and pretty soon move to a different state.

It sure does feels refreshing. I can't wait for the day I depart and seal my past forever.

AimeeSP

Yes! i worry about this so much and its one of the reasons why i want to move away. I'm ashamed of making no progress in the past couple of years and don't want them knowing how bad things have got. ::(:

I would like to meet some old class mates, last year i met one and he actually said i've changed, in a good way, well but ony physically;)

DanFC

It's only been two years, but most people from high school don't recognize me anymore. And I don't want to talk to them, so I don't really have to worry about crossing paths.

xxaimsxx

Yep I get what you mean. I saw a girl who used to know me years ago and i was walking and she just stared at me to see if it was me i guess and i held my head high and acted like she wasnt there.
I dont want my ex bullies to get the better of my thankyou v. much. :)

DanFC

Hah, if I saw anyone who used to mess with me and he recognized me, I'd tear them apart. Just the other day at a party this guy started messing with me and was like "what if I messed with you hair" (I have really awesome hair). I was like "I'll cut you" and laughed it off. I saw him later and showed him my balisong. He freaked XD

Luthien

I don't have to worry much about bumping into people, since I don't really leave my house... But you know what I think is really weird? I'm terrified of people that I used to be friends with or people from high school knowing anything about what's going on with me. In so many ways I feel a bit empowered about having SAD, I don't feel like there's anything wrong with me and I know someday I'll beat it. But I'm so embarrassed that people I used to know will find out! Even if I hated them, I don't want them to know!! I want everyone to think I'm awesome and living a cool, exciting life. Not that I'm terrified to leave my house and I have panic attacks over little bitty things...

It's just so ridiculous. I don't want to care what these people think anymore!! It drives me crazy, it's like in highschool they latched onto me with their tentacles and they still haven't let go! It's been a long long time since I was naive enough to think that the "cool" kids really had their sh*t together, but why do I still make that unreasonable demand on myself?? This has been such a huge problem for me... I'm trying to work on it, but things like this take so long to unlearn, I can never tell if I'm making any progress...

DanFC

I know how that is. I've purposely miss hook-ups with people from high school because I wanted them to think I'm this new, edgy person with an amazing life. I don't know why I feel I have to do that.

Shift

Yes! And it seems to happen to me all the time. And it's always the people I knew in high school that I never want to see again.

The absolute worst is an ex boyfriend I had a really bad relationship with (he's the reason I'm afraid of relationships now). He is going to the same college I am attending now.

da_illest101

all the time, i saw one two weeks ago, and i act like i didn't saw him, don't know if he saw me. There is this cute shy quiet girl that i had a crush on, i know where she work, not to far from my job. Didn't have the courage to talk to her back then, still don't have it today lol, maybe i should give it a shot

thecinderfly

yes especially since i don't live too far from my hometown, i get all nervous and twitchy and my instincts say flee! like im some prey trying to avoid being a meal, sad i know =(
I know how that is. I've purposely miss hook-ups with people from high school because I wanted them to think I'm this new, edgy person with an amazing life. I don't know why I feel I have to do that.
same thing here, I've also looked up classmates on facebook to see what they are up to then end up depressed or frustrated because my life in no way compares to theirs,then i wonder why i just compared my life to some one i don't even like, confused much??