Do you think something like this would help you?

Do you think a social skills class would help you?

• Yes, definitely

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Yes, somewhat

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Maybe

• No

• Total voters

lyricalliaisons

Do you think a class (series of classes or group sessions) in social skills would help you? If the goal of the class was to teach people social skills?

I think something like this would help me, at least a bit, but there is nothing similar close enough to me to get to & they are all aimed at children anyway, except for one which is aimed at people on the autism spectrum. I'm 28 years old & have never been diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder, so none of those programs would be of any help to me. Plus, they all require health insurance, or money paid out of pocket & I have neither. Plenty of people have recommended Toastmasters & similar things to me, but I know those things would not help me because I would need social skills before I could even do something like that lol.

I would be terrified to go to a social skills class, seeing as how I'm terrified to leave my house & to be around people, but because it might benefit me in the long run, I would try to force myself to go. Knowing that the other people there would also be there because they lack social skills would be a help too.

Feathers

Hi Lyrical!

I'd love to go to Toastmasters too.. Unfortunately they are not in my town, just in the capitol, which is about 1 hour away by car.. And I lost my drivers' licence and hate to drive... Alternatively, it would mean staying over with someone, or going together with a friend.. (not sure if anyone would be interested)
Do you have any relatives or friends who might be interested in going? It is muuch easier if you know at least someone there...

When I was a student there were social skills for students, quite inexpensive, I didn't go cause I didn't know anyone there (or who'd go) and at the time didn't feel the need to go really..
Any drama therapy workshops or classes over where you live? These might be helpful too, or perhaps any creative arts therapies...? Or at least a church group or reading group or any free classes? You might meet people there who'd go to those other things then too..

lyricalliaisons

Hi Lyrical!

I'd love to go to Toastmasters too.. Unfortunately they are not in my town, just in the capitol, which is about 1 hour away by car.. And I lost my drivers' licence and hate to drive... Alternatively, it would mean staying over with someone, or going together with a friend.. (not sure if anyone would be interested)
Do you have any relatives or friends who might be interested in going? It is muuch easier if you know at least someone there...

When I was a student there were social skills for students, quite inexpensive, I didn't go cause I didn't know anyone there (or who'd go) and at the time didn't feel the need to go really..
Any drama therapy workshops or classes over where you live? These might be helpful too, or perhaps any creative arts therapies...? Or at least a church group or reading group or any free classes? You might meet people there who'd go to those other things then too..

I don't want to go to Toastmaster lol. It's just that people are always suggesting it to me so I mentioned it here so it wouldn't happen again lol. It's not something I could handle. I have no friends & my relatives think poorly of me & I don't associate with them.

As for workshops, etc. I could never do any of that because I would be too scared & would not know how to interact with the other people. That's why I need a class on social skills-- to teach me interpersonal skills, etc. because I have none now. I'm also too afraid to leave the house most of the time, so none of that other stuff would do me a bit of good, either.

Iseesky

Wow, if there was a class like that around me, I'd definitely consider it!

I've been contemplating acting classes for many months now and still haven't made a move on them. I know they could help me so much, but I just think of what would happen if they went wrong and I just embarrassed myself.

I don't think it would do much for me personally. If I were to attend a class that would teach how to act in various situations, the behavior would not be my own. It would be copied. Thus, I'd no longer be (or act like) me.

I'd rather learn my way naturally through experience. It might work wonders for others though, I don't know. :3

But for me personally, no, not really. ;3

Last edited:
I regard myself as beyond all help (regarding people), but it's probably not true, but my pessimism keeps regualrly convincing me that its true

lyricalliaisons said:
I'm 28 years old & have never been diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder
What about Aspergers? (or is aspergers within the "autism spectrum"?)

Felgen

It helped me somewhat, allthough my social skills a few years ago were terrible because of Asperger's syndrome, not just anxiety.

Ree_Ree

I think a class like that would probably help me if I could only manage to get to the class. I guess like you, I may have to force myself to come out of my shell and go anyway. But I may be surprise how much it would help me knowing that everyone else there is going through the same thing.

There are SA meetup groups all over the place, I even seen one online that's in my area. I don't know what all they do though. I haven't really thought about going...not really. Maybe I should, who knows.

Kiwong

Yes, a course would possibly help. I think the most useful course would a communications course.

I need to completely relearn the way I communicate with people. To be able to communicate without fear.

I think the best place to start would possibly be with a skilled counsellor or therapist. I think a large group would be too scary.