Do you talk slow?

da_illest101

One of my life's most annoying remark that people tell me all the time is that I speak slow and, to a lesser extend, monotome. I didn't know there was a certain speed someone had to talk like.

So does anyone also suffers from this annoyimg remark?

Ignace

Monotone or slow speaking is not my problem, the problem is I mix up words and ruin the whole sentence, I should just stay quiet .. Guess I'm trying to speak too fast so I finish earlier and therefore don't have to listen to myself as long. ::p:

da_illest101

What is this "speak" you mention?

Before our time, before computers, texting, chatting with a keyboard, there was this primitive ability where if one was to move his mouth and his vocal cords a certain way, a sound would come out of it. Many died to try to gain such ability. The ancient called it Speak aka reading out loud, aka thinking out loud.

I, somehow, have this ability, but a slower form of it. For some reason those who masteted it to a faster rate showcase their disaprouval of me using it my own way

da_illest101

Monotone or slow speaking is not my problem, the problem is I mix up words and ruin the whole sentence, I should just stay quiet .. Guess I'm trying to speak too fast so I finish earlier and therefore don't have to listen to myself as long. ::p:

I have this problem to when I try to talk to a faster rate

Valhalla

I got the complete opposite problem. Can they hear what you say, or are they just giving this remark?

O'Killian

It likely depends on who's asking - I speak fast, for a(n American) southerner. I recall folk remarking on my drawl when visiting other states but at home I sometimes have to repeat myself because the words spew out too fast.

My speech difficulties are generally that it takes me a good, long moment to (over)think what I'm going to say, and then occasionally I'll have a cart-before-horse moment where my own train of thought interrupts whatever I'm saying and I just get stuck with an 'uh, uh...'. Whenever I do manage to jumble my words I usually exaggerate it and laugh it off, at least in casual conversation - mostly because that's what I did when I was younger and it got good results, usually.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with speaking slow, especially if you've got good diction. It's certainly better than the type who seem to have no barrier between brain and mouth, heh. Monotone can be unsettling though, especially since tone carries quite a bit of meaning.

mikebird

Banned
It likely depends on who's asking - I speak fast, for a(n American) southerner. I recall folk remarking on my drawl when visiting other states but at home I sometimes have to repeat myself because the words spew out too fast.

My speech difficulties are generally that it takes me a good, long moment to (over)think what I'm going to say, and then occasionally I'll have a cart-before-horse moment where my own train of thought interrupts whatever I'm saying and I just get stuck with an 'uh, uh...'. Whenever I do manage to jumble my words I usually exaggerate it and laugh it off, at least in casual conversation - mostly because that's what I did when I was younger and it got good results, usually.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with speaking slow, especially if you've got good diction. It's certainly better than the type who seem to have no barrier between brain and mouth, heh. Monotone can be unsettling though, especially since tone carries quite a bit of meaning.

I like that.
Most of the time I speak to strangers, on the phone; they go far too fast and seem to scramble their sounds, like it's a foreign tongue, and wanting to belittle the listener, making it hard for them. That's my experience, that they'd read from a set of paragraphs written for them, - an autocue, like the news and weather, but to challenge the listener.

I sometimes say "what?" - "say again?" - "say again" / "I heard the word 'it' ", but that'd didn't mean much.

I start by going slow. I did hear about the Australian / American drawl when I was little, meaning it was slow / stupid. I like to compose my sentences carefully, but never get hung up or forget my thread. I never, ever, say 'ummmmmmm, ummmmmmmmmmmm...'. That is dreadful. Newspeople and weatherpeople do, and even politicians do. The worst I do is say "hold on", looking around for a microsecond, then resume the thread. I go at a reasonable pace. On the phone, strangers seem like a child on mega-fast. "blub-blub-blub-blub-" with no words in there

As soon as I ask "whaaaat
iiiis
yououror
naaaame?"

They hang up

Last edited:

Gaucho

i talk many times like a retarded kid, mumbling, forgetting words, starting new sentences in sentences... or I'm explaining something and have to stop for 10-2oseconds because i can't find the fitting word ahahaha.

rxdc

I speak fast, mumble often and have a strange accent. Totally ruined it for me when I applied for this telemarketing job.

THeCARS1979

One of my life's most annoying remark that people tell me all the time is that I speak slow and, to a lesser extend, monotome. I didn't know there was a certain speed someone had to talk like.

So does anyone also suffers from this annoyimg remark?

That wouldn't bother me. you'll be okay

Boby

Same here ,I try to materialize in words as many of thoughts as possible end up with a retarded sentence.

Srijita52

Same with me.

oscarwilde

My problem is not exactly the pace of speech, but more the tone and strength - I feel completely out of breath most of the time - and also, I can't seem to convey the complexity of thoughts in my head via speech. It's called Potato syndrome. :)

Valhalla

i talk many times like a retarded kid, mumbling, forgetting words, starting new sentences in sentences... or I'm explaining something and have to stop for 10-2oseconds because i can't find the fitting word ahahaha.

I speak fast, mumble often and have a strange accent. Totally ruined it for me when I applied for this telemarketing job.

Like me then.

Lea

Banned
Jesus I read "do you talk show" and thought what a weird thread, it didn´t make sense to me :D.

Srijita52

This is exactly what I do.

NeonDream

Re: Slow low low

No, if anything I talk way too fast. I also tend to mumble or slur my words, especially when I'm not talking loud enough.

I know exactly how you feel! I got the exact same thing! I have been trying to talk slow but when I do, I sound like a robot (that is what I have been told) and later on, I get fed up.