Do you talk openly about your SA?

D

deleted user 1

Mainly my family knows and their level of tolerance towards it varies. I think at times they just see me as being an extremely selfish weak person and I only do things if I want to do them. It does take a lot of momentum to do any social encounter for me and eventually that runs out and I have to re charge my batteries. It doesn’t mean I have given up fighting this but some social events I don’t feel it is worth feeling tortured over. I also feel at times they only show understanding when it doesn’t conflict with something they want from me.

Some people just notice it in me and I have been told that I am nervous by nature.

I couldn't agree more. Well said.

Yes I do. Talking is the best medicine ;), it really helps to talk things of your chest. People will know why I don't go out, what is going on in my life.
I told my parents, family and friends. Most of them all reacted very positively.
They accept me, and support me :)
But some of them didn't know how to react... and some bullies in the past will always stay rude, but that's why I never get in touch with those people anymore ;) I think it's good that people know about it. because it's not a shame, right? its something i deal with everyday, so people should know..
they will wonder eventually what is going on with me, so sometimes they ask.. and I just tell =)

Tiercel

I was just wondering, do any of you ever admit to people that you have SA?
I didn't at first but now people just ask why I don't go out and I tell them straight out that I had agoraphobia...
If you don't tell people why not?
And if you do, why do you?

I've only told people here about my problems. I always just keep to myself. So if I never talk about anything else, I figure that people don't want or need to know about why I am the way I am.

Why don't I tell people? Fear, mostly. The last time I tried explaining something to someone (depression to a female friend in high school) she told me that I should be locked up in a mental hospital. So I don't really trust people to not look at me as either some psychiatric puzzle to be figured out or one to be insulted. That and I can't be bothered to explain social anxiety, AvPD, and the insidious nature of depression to people.

But I do tell people here. I figure we're all equally f:eek:ed, so it can't really hurt anyone.

:D

D

deleted user 1

I've only told people here about my problems. I always just keep to myself. So if I never talk about anything else, I figure that people don't want or need to know about why I am the way I am.

Why don't I tell people? Fear, mostly. The last time I tried explaining something to someone (depression to a female friend in high school) she told me that I should be locked up in a mental hospital. So I don't really trust people to not look at me as either some psychiatric puzzle to be figured out or one to be insulted. That and I can't be bothered to explain social anxiety, AvPD, and the insidious nature of depression to people.

But I do tell people here. I figure we're all equally f:eek:ed, so it can't really hurt anyone.
:D

LMAO! Don't throw in the towel just yet. We're all human, we're all hardwired to be social. We just need to relearn the skills that everyone else has. Or should I say, that everyone else SHOULD have. Confident, outgoing people, can often be verbally clumsy and actually quite inneffective, lol.

Last edited: