Do you talk openly about your SA?

BlaiseBLATES

I was just wondering, do any of you ever admit to people that you have SA?
I didn't at first but now people just ask why I don't go out and I tell them straight out that I had agoraphobia...
If you don't tell people why not?
And if you do, why do you?

Sinar_Matahari

I only told a handful of friends. Four to be exact. I figured that I'd explain why I can be distant or quiet at times. More often that not, when I am out with them and I'm quiet, it usually means that I'm tired.

Bringing up that I have a mental illness will probably make things awkward. Casual acquaintances have no buisiness knowing about my problems and I want people to know me for who I am. I don't want to be known for having SA.

No, but i want to.
i just dont want people (strangers) to think im a freak. :/
i know it would be A LOT easier though. people would understand why i act the way i act.
but then again theres a sh*t load of rumors at school about me already...so maybe not the best idea.

i think i'll try it tomorrow and see what happens

Last edited:

Feathers

Well, SA is not very known here where I live.. And I think everyone has at least a little bit of shyness or SA.. I see it as a continuum and not as 'black or white'.. with many shades and colors inbetween...
It's normal to have fear before unknown experiences..

So I don't specifically mention it.. People who know me know I'm shy and have had worries/anxieties anyway, and some (who are shyer) think I'm talkative and 'communicative' (I can be both) So I think it would be odd to say 'I have SA' and then next they see me laughing and talking to someone..

I don't want to bring up being 'bipolar-ish' because mental health issues can be misunderstood or there is a stigma.. I also don't think my troubles are 'so bad' as of some other poeple.. And they can be tweaked with exercise and nutrition..

So, no, I don't tell others and I think it's none of their business.. :)
I may mention a specific fear/anxiety or 'jitters' (like friends knew I had anxiety before performing on stage etc)

If you do speak about it, it may be useful to come up with some statistics or causes for and info about SA.. so people can understand it better.. (not just drop a name and expect them to know all about it, they may not have a clue unless you explain it proper..)

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Nope, talking about anything is tough for me,especially something like that.

D

deleted user 1

I've only told my mother and my sister, but I get the usual "you're being stupid" response. I don't really see the point in talking to anyone I know in real life anymore. In my experiences, if people don't have to deal with a problem, they don't care, until it becomes a problem for them.

UnOccupied

Interesting topic. Well, only a few people know i have sought mental help over the past 4 years. Of them, only two of them, my best friend, and my mom, know that i am diagnosed with social anxiety.

I am pretty sure they both don't truly believe this is true, especially my Mom, who tries to pretend everything is okay all the time. Still, i am happy they both support me, and i am so happy i can trust them with knowing this about me.

I don't want the whole world knowing i have SA. It just makes things more awkward i guess, and it is a very tough subject to bring up to people, because it is so hard for most people to comprehend.

At the same time though, one of my goals in life is to overcome social anxiety, and write a book about my struggles through it. So, after i overcome it, then i want the whole world to know about it. But as i go through it, i like it to be kept secret.

If they ask I answer. If they don't like the answer, shrug, walkaway. I am done with what am I not supposed to say. I am me.

punklove

Hell no, never.
I feel like it's way too personal to talk about face to face with people who you're not close to.

PurpleOne

I was just wondering, do any of you ever admit to people that you have SA?
I didn't at first but now people just ask why I don't go out and I tell them straight out that I had agoraphobia...
If you don't tell people why not?
And if you do, why do you?

I tried a few times. And guess what? They kindly turned their backs on me.

I'm pretty much an open book, as long as people ask the right questions. But most see me as ''being weird''. Simplistic, but true.

Minty

To my friends and family, yeah. They all understand. If a stranger asked about it, I suppose I'd tell them too. Talking about it makes me feel better because it lets them know it's not them and they shouldn't take my behavior personally. I hate it when my SA makes people feel bad.

Asherah

I normally dont tell people about the SA as most people give a reaction like: ow but alot of people are shy thats normal (or something like that). They usually dont take it that serious. That makes me really sad as SA can ruin your life, so i dont bother telling people i dont know or trust.

KiaKaha

Banned
Tried. People just think I am attention seeking, making it up or just being a weirdo. Most others it seems just cant FATHOM social anxiety...at least to the point where it stops you from doing the things that you want.

JamesSmith

About 5 years ago when I did hang out with people, I was very sensitive about being called shy and didn't want to admit that I was. I guess I have become a lot more comfortable with myself and the last time someone told me I was being mean cuz I was quiet I told them that I was just shy. It went well, they actually understood me in that way. I look to tell someone I'm shy that doesn't know me well when I can.

UnOccupied

About 5 years ago when I did hang out with people, I was very sensitive about being called shy and didn't want to admit that I was. I guess I have become a lot more comfortable with myself and the last time someone told me I was being mean cuz I was quiet I told them that I was just shy. It went well, they actually understood me in that way. I look to tell someone I'm shy that doesn't know me well when I can.

Great response! Wow, that is really good! I was at a party recently, and i heard a girl say to a guy i know, "you look like such an *******." The kid said what? And the girl goes, "Well, i dont know, you just kind of look like a jerk." This guy is kind of the quiet type, but is in NO way an ass hole or a jerk. I think he may even have SA. But, i felt SO bad for him, this girl was just so blunt, and it was right in front of several people. He didn't seem to mind too much, but who knows how he felt afterwards. i may ask him now that i think of it.

Anyway, i was just so relieved she didn't say it to me. But, now that i know this comment you just said, it makes me sooooo much more ready for this comment i have dreaded for so long.

Thanks!:D

agoraphobickatie

i don't necessarily have SA, just agoraphobia/GAD.. but i openly talk about it... i guess i'm a pretty up front person. i don't really have a problem talking about things like that because if anyone has a problem with it, i don't want anything to do with them anyway ::shrug:: ...all of my friends are understanding anyway, and i really like opening up to them about it so they can help me out if i need some calming down :)

veggielover

Sometimes I think that admitting your 'problem' would be like, "ok, I told them what's going on and now they know why I'm being this way," but other times it's like what's the point. Is it really going to change anything? I think it just makes us more vulnerable. Everyone's different though. I'm trying to cope with my sa and just not tell anyone else about it. I've told a couple people, but they either don't believe me or don't do anything about it. It's better just to keep it to yourself.

Kat

Mainly my family knows and their level of tolerance towards it varies. I think at times they just see me as being an extremely selfish weak person and I only do things if I want to do them. It does take a lot of momentum to do any social encounter for me and eventually that runs out and I have to re charge my batteries. It doesn’t mean I have given up fighting this but some social events I don’t feel it is worth feeling tortured over. I also feel at times they only show understanding when it doesn’t conflict with something they want from me.

Some people just notice it in me and I have been told that I am nervous by nature.