Do you receive disability benefits for social anxiety?

Do you receive disability benefits for social anxiety?

• Yes, I have mild/moderate SA and receive disability

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Yes, I have severe SA and receive disability

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • No, I have mild/moderate SA but don't receive disability

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • No, I have severe SA but don't receive disability

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters

Section_31

As far as i know canada, or at least alberta, doesnt recognize S/A as a debebilitating mental illness, so i dont think many here do.

-lonestar-

I should ask EI cuz that would be great, hard to find motivation for a new job cuz of SA, I'm not into aproaching others. I'd rather be aproached. I need money lol

B

Beatrice

No, but I know someone who does.

Migraines, on the other hand...... :p (not really, but I wish. I do have exemption notes for class, though, because of them).

Nanita

I don´t receive actual disability benefits, but I do receive unemployment benefits, and because of SA and Avoidant personality disorder, I´m not being forced to do much (work/studying/jobsearching) - but it´s not permanent, the purpose is getting better while having time off, and perhaps later be able to work or study. The social worker looks at my case every 3 months, to know how I´m doing.

Last edited:

meco1999

I've had severe SA since age 12 (I'm 30 now), I even was selectively mute during the 8th grade, but I've never gotten disability benefits. I've worked full time the past 7 years. It's really hard sometimes, but I did it because I felt I had to do it, I had no choice. I just get through work the same way i got through school - one day at a time.

SadPanda

At this moment, I do. My case is reviewed every 3 months for up to two years from the time I went sick. I feel it very much depends on the country you live in and the awareness they have of SA/mental health. Thankfully, the country I am in does, my home country does not.
You have options after 2 years if the government Dr/your psychiatrist do not feel you can fully work/work at all after these two years. If they feel you can work, they will assist you with getting back to work in the field you were once in.

WeirdyMcGee

I'm agoraphobic-- my therapist is helping me to apply but says I probably won't be accepted because I'm so young.

My dad was living in a shack in the woods for 8 years before they accepted his agoraphobia as a genuine disability, so I don't think my chances are that great. haha

Matticus

At this moment, I do. My case is reviewed every 3 months for up to two years from the time I went sick. I feel it very much depends on the country you live in and the awareness they have of SA/mental health. Thankfully, the country I am in does, my home country does not.
You have options after 2 years if the government Dr/your psychiatrist do not feel you can fully work/work at all after these two years. If they feel you can work, they will assist you with getting back to work in the field you were once in.

may i ask what country that you are speaking off is?