Do you have secondary disorders that others dont know of?

estelle

Do you hide the fact that your suffering from other mental disorders to others?..

^i sure do, but it's not like i can just go out and tell anyone... :roll:

I think i'll just let my family know that my ONLY problem is SA..when I've got "other" problems... :lol:

RedRibbons

hmm you can say what other 'problems' you have here.. :p

My family doesn't know the extent to which I suffer with my problems, but they have a pretty good idea of what I do suffer from.

VioletTears

I was diagnosed with selective mutism as a child. After they got me to talk I stopped seeing my therapist. I think that the one thing that I learned in therapy was to pretend that I was okay. Back then it was believed that kids with selective mutism were simply not talking in order to manipulate people. Lovely theory. :roll:

So even though my anxiety remained with me throughout my life and even though I became suicidal and began cutting at 16 and still didn't see a therapist until I was 27... Actually, just over a month ago. I was too ashamed and too scared. I got dragged to the ER after people on another forum called my mom to tell her that I had taken some pills. I am still not over the humiliation of my parents knowing...

So far I have a duel diagnosis of anxiety and depression... Which I do think that I have both, but I also think that my problems go beyond that and maybe it's an over simplification... But since a lot of things interact so much the label probably doesn't matter as much as the symptoms...

Mostly I just don't tell people that I have these issues, period. I have told my two real life friends, my brother and my sister... Now I have stopped saying as much to my brother and sister because I found out that my mom was told stuff that I wrote in confidence and that she didn't even need to know... My parents only know what others have told them and I refuse to talk to them about it. Other people only know what they see.

About a year ago I was diagnosed with severe post-traumatic stress disorder and psychotic depression. the social anxiety was pretty much because of this, although I've always been shy. The symptoms became really severe about two years ago and everyone around me noticed it. I couldn't even attend a regular school because of my problems. Fortunately I've improved thanks to medication.
I'm just curious, what "other" mental disorders are you referring to? You don't need to be embarrased, they can't be any worse than mine lol

recluse

I have obsessive/compulsive/repetitive thoughts about random stuff....I never have a clear relaxed mind, just always thinking about stuff in a loop.

noblame4

I'm suspicious that I've got avoidant personality disorder too, when I get out of this damn Boo Radley funk and get a job, I'm going to look into getting therapy again. And food. I really miss food.

I dont talk about it much. I've only got contact with four people now, my mother, grandparents and younger sister. I talk about it with my mom a little because she's sympathetic but it makes me feel weird and guilty.

estelle

IcarusUnderWater said:
noblame4 said:
I'm suspicious that I've got avoidant personality disorder too, when I get out of this damn Boo Radley funk and get a job, I'm going to look into getting therapy again. And food. I really miss food.

I dont talk about it much. I've only got contact with four people now, my mother, grandparents and younger sister. I talk about it with my mom a little because she's sympathetic but it makes me feel weird and guilty.

boo radley. Now that's a name that brings back memories of English Literature 5 years ago. sheesh! :)

^Boo Radley is awesome! haha, ironically im reading 'To Kill A Mockingbird at the moment".. :lol:

Plissken

Definitely avoidant personality disorder. It goes hand in hand with SAD though. I avoid everything and everyone. If it was possible I'd never leave the house. My ultimate dream is to win a million dollars and live completely on my own for the rest of my life.

terrified

ARealCajunGirl,

I have exactly same issue. My PTSD turned into SA. Would you mind telling me which medicine is helping you?

I tried handful of anti-depressants, sleep med, and ADHD medicine. No success due to the side effects. I tried zoloft, celexa, paxil, and can't remember other ones' names.

Thanks.