Do you compare yourself with others?

KiaraBlue

I do that all the time. Like most of you try not to because that makes me depressed too.
I am not envy for example that someone have better car then me and stuff like that. I just envy people for their 'stability' and mental health and all the things they can do and I can't..

recluse

I try not to but it's so hard not to do it. I always compare myself to other men.

Typical thoughts of mine - ''That guy's better looking than me''....''That guy's funny''....''That guy's got charisma''.....''That guy's confident''..

Share Compare

Of course. I always find some way to make myself believe that every other person is better than me in every single way, without actually knowing very much at all. I don't hate people for being better than me though.

Richey

yeh its sort of hard not to compare yrself to others in the society we live in which is built for that of the individual. you know, its sort of like everyone has to go to university and they have to this by a certain age. travelled or achieved this or that. imperfections tend to become obsessed over and what is perceived as good looking or ugly or acceptable will always be compared against in every way. i think there needs to be an emphasis on self acceptance and pride and simply working with the cards you are dealt which probably are no where near as bad as people believe.

AimeeSP

Oh god i do this all the time! forever comparing myself to everyone, never feeling good enough! So depressing lol! :)

yeah, unfortunately..all the time.. even how a person picks out oranges lool..but I am beginning to realize that u are your own person.. and comparing just makes u feel worse..maybe we should start thinking.. what are the things I can do better than other ppl.. i do that some times when I'm down.. I'm sure there are lots... find a golden middle. I can do this better.. and if a person that can do that better comes up, well.. that;s where I'm stuck.. that;s the wrong thinking... that is mostly the core of SA.. WE NEED TO RECONCILE WITH OURSELVES..there will alwAYS BE SOMEONE BETTER.. BUT THEN THERE IS SOMEONE BETTER THAN THAT PERSON THAT IS SUPPOSEDLY BETTER THAN U, HOW DOES THAT PERSON LIVE.. HE DOESN'T COMPARE THAT MUCH...that i the core of our disease.. I have no idea how to stop.. even after saying this. :/ but I think I'm on the way.. and as u;ve guys said, there is no use in it...makes u feel bad...

yeh its sort of hard not to compare yrself to others in the society we live in which is built for that of the individual. you know, its sort of like everyone has to go to university and they have to this by a certain age. travelled or achieved this or that. imperfections tend to become obsessed over and what is perceived as good looking or ugly or acceptable will always be compared against in every way. i think there needs to be an emphasis on self acceptance and pride and simply working with the cards you are dealt which probably are no where near as bad as people believe.

Yeah, when someone says - but everyone does that, why don't you do that?
Then I'm down for all day...

like Hitler gathering fashists, everyone got in because everyone else got in this is the point.. no need.. we subject our selves to collective consciousness, but we are individuals..it's hard to fight against something that ever1 does...

overcome.

I do compare myself to others, yeah. Mainly in terms of anxiety though. Although I may not know somebody or be aware of their own inner demons and personal battles, I do stop and think "they can do all of that without anxiety, I wish that was me" or "why can't I just accept a social/work invitation like that without overwhelming anxiety that'll just destroy any daily routine I have, where I'll just worry and not be able to eat for days leading upto it".

Sometimes I also compare people to my age that have also just left college (I'm 19), and I look at where they are now. University somewhere in the country meeting new people, working full/part time, looking for a job or even rarely, somebody who's going travelling. I'd prefer to be in any of those situations rather than deal with daily anxiety battles, but I can't beat myself up over the whole thing.

Overall, I think that sometimes even if it's hard, you have to help yourself by not irritating or getting down/upset over comparing yourself to others with seemingly more 'success'. In my eyes, success is measured by happiness, not what job you have or how much money you possess. So yes, sadly, I do envy success now and again when I'm feeling sorry for myself.